Will I buy a Tesla

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 8:48 am

EVs,.... expensive and bad for the grid. One State is banning their sale.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/01/ ... nture.html

Paul

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 12:39 am

Im still kicking myself for not buying some tesla stock 3 weeks ago.I was watching the ticker and thinking wow its almost down to $100 ($101)from what $400 a year ago? Oh well ,shoulda, coulda . woulda. Right now its about $174 .Up over $70 in 3 weeks.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 9:25 am

Here's a good example why the EV "future" has such a small market share after 25 years of trying. And if they keep pushing EV'S it's only going to get worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/generators-spoiled-foo ... 50481.html

Another downside to it is, the EV strain on the grid effects non-EV owners. Wonder why your electric bill is getting so high, maybe it's to pay for the extra demand.

Paul

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 9:53 am

Your electric bill is going up because of inefficient fossil fuel plants...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/202 ... 36a4452510

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/ ... oal-report

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/04/14/w ... 323512001/

Some of these plants are 3x as expensive as renewables $0.02 KWHr vs $0.06 KWHr...

These are long term contracts...

BigBarney

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 10:07 am

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 12:39 am
Im still kicking myself for not buying some tesla stock 3 weeks ago.I was watching the ticker and thinking wow its almost down to $100 ($101)from what $400 a year ago? Oh well ,shoulda, coulda . woulda. Right now its about $174 .Up over $70 in 3 weeks.
I decided I have no clue what a good investment is. I bought SWN stock a long time ago. It was cheap like $3 or less and had profit of $1.5 per share. Fundamentally I thought it was a no brainer. I had if for years and it went down to like $1. Finally sold it and after Biden took office or certainly after I sold it it went to like $7. I always figured it was good for $10. But, the surest way for a stock I am interested in to go up is for me to sell it and to go down is for me to buy it. I was involved with Gold and silver mining stocks thinking for sure inflation and precious metals would go up. I bought GOLD it was profitable when gold was down and figured it would surely appreciate if gold and silver took off. They were making good money in a bad market and paid dividends. Anyway I am done with my attempt to figure out good stocks. I bought a truckload of coal. I figured that is a sure thing and I am putting solar on the house another sure thing. Maybe not a money maker but I pay for heat and electric so if I can save that money I am better off. As far as investments I sold any and all stock and went with a money market account VIAX that tracks the S&P and is very diversified. At least if it goes up or down I am not the one making bad decisions. Oh few years ago 2015 I think I lost 35,000 when I purchased physical gold and silver online from an entity that went bankrupt after they had my money. I think they stole like $30 million from investors. To make things worse, they assign some trustee to manage the bankruptcy that basically bleeds it for everything it had before liquidating it for next to nothing. The court appointed trustee was as bad as the crooks that stole the money.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 10:14 am

BigBarney wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 9:53 am
Your electric bill is going up because of inefficient fossil fuel plants...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/202 ... 36a4452510

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/ ... oal-report

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/04/14/w ... 323512001/

Some of these plants are 3x as expensive as renewables $0.02 KWHr vs $0.06 KWHr...

These are long term contracts...

BigBarney
"Renewables" are not working like they said they would, that's why more reliance on fossil fuels as demand for electricity goes up.

Maybe you missed that Germany, the EU's former leader for renewables, tore down some windmills and is "renewing" coal.

And maybe you also missed that we are paying way more for coal because - laws of supply and demand - availability is down and costs are way up due to increased demand in Europe,.... you know, the ones that were so in love with renewables, until they found out it can't cut it when Russia turned off the tap of fossil fuel. :baby:

Paul

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 10:16 am

As far as Tesla the vehicle, I don't know. I have heard good things about them but also heard bad things. Electric cars I guess are okay if you use them for local commutes.
The problem with any vehicle in New England is the fuching chemicals they use on the winter roads. They destroy your vehicle in no time so I think the cheapest dependable vehicle that meets ones needs is the best choice. Down in SC you see vintage vehicles that look great as daily drivers. That salt road tax is devastating to a vehicle owner. We got a couple Mercedes. I bought a 2007 C280 about 5 years ago with 120k on the clock with no rust in good shape for 4k. The wife drove it for a couple of years and I am Still driving it today. She wanted a newer one so she found a 2013 with 40k on the clock for about 15k. Both those cars are comfortable, all wheel drive, get decent gas mileage and dependable.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 11:55 am

We dumped all of our fossil cars for ev's, and will never go back.

Our Bolt Ev get over 100 mpge routinely.

Our 2 Tesla's do even better.With their superchargers you can go

anywhere.

The body on Tesla's are mostly aluminum so no rust.

BigBarney

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 11:56 am

BigBarney wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 11:55 am
We dumped all of our fossil cars for ev's, and will never go back.

Our Bolt Ev get over 100 mpge routinely.

Our 2 Tesla's do even better.With their superchargers you can go

anywhere.

The body on Tesla's are mostly aluminum so no rust.

BigBarney
Good to hear. Thanks for your opinion.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 12:05 pm

No opinion all facts..

BigBarney

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 12:10 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 12:05 pm
No opinion all facts..

BigBarney
Thanks for the clarification.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 12:25 pm

True, aluminum does not "rust" but it is highly reactive, and it does corrode. It is not immune to road salt any more than modern coated steel-bodied cars.

For 40 years I've made a nice living restoring aluminum-bodied cars. And before that many years working on boats with aluminum hardware around salt water. :yes:

Paul

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 6:14 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 10:07 am
I decided I have no clue what a good investment is. I bought SWN stock a long time ago. It was cheap like $3 or less and had profit of $1.5 per share.
I just bought some more SWN after i made money on it a couple times. its like $5 right now. Yes the market is finiky. But i gotta do something to combat the inflation that just made us a lot poorer. The banks are still only paying one quarter of 1% interest which is dismal. It may take long time to figure it out but it will keep me busy in my old age when i cant do much else.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 6:25 pm

k-2 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 6:14 pm
I just bought some more SWN after i made money on it a couple times. its like $5 right now. Yes the market is finiky. But i gotta do something to combat the inflation that just made us a lot poorer. The banks are still only paying one quarter of 1% interest which is dismal. It may take long time to figure it out but it will keep me busy in my old age when i cant do much else.
My wife is pretty good at finding deals with the banks. Not that long ago she opened an account with not that big of a deposit and received $1,000 like 90 days later. No other strings. So maybe find banks that have incentives to open an account??

SWN is a great company fundamentally. Another one that I lost my shirt on was a Chinese used auto parts company SORL that had great earnings. After than I decided to only invest in American stocks. The company was accused of manipulating to take it private and screw shareholders.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 7:56 pm

Best investment is crypto. It's so deregulated and anonymous someone can steal all yours and nothing can be done about it! But just think, you didn't get robbed at gunpoint for it did you? All things considered if he could do it again, batman's dad would have gone with crypto

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”