The Old Truck Dilemma, What To Buy?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 9:03 am

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Welllll, tranny went on my 04 Silverado--- couldn't even find one here in Upstate, NY---finally my daughter found one in Pa. useing VIN---$980---headed down there tomorrow to get her Dodge truck w/ tranny & come back for the install. Life is good!!! NOT!!!! :lol:
Ouch! Sorry about your Half a Truck Fred. That is one of the few things that is not DIY and very difficult to fix on one of these trucks.

That right there is the one thing I don't like about American cars and trucks. The pretty much eliminated manual transmissions starting back in the 70's not even offering them on most models. Its been my experience that the automatics just go out with little to no warning. I've been left stranded with a very expensive bill a few times.

I hope you can get it fixed Fred. :yes:
-Don

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 9:05 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 9:03 am
Ouch! Sorry about your Half a Truck Fred. That is one of the few things that is not DIY and very difficult to fix on one of these trucks.

That right there is the one thing I don't like about American cars and trucks. The pretty much eliminated manual transmissions starting back in the 70's not even offering them on most models. Its been my experience that the automatics just go out with little to no warning. I've been left stranded with a very expensive bill a few times.

I hope you can get it fixed Fred. :yes:
-Don
If a person shops they can normally find a rebuilt for a decent price shipping included.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 9:18 am

SMITTY wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 1:03 pm
I own a 900 series truck. Bought it brand new in '07. Right off the showroom floor on the test drive, the brakes pulsated enough to about rattle my fillings out of my teeth! Then the door trim fell off a week later. Then the interior developed annoying squeaks and rattles that they just couldn't fix because of the shitty extended cab design with no B pillar. Then the air vents started making strange noises - they did manage to fix that for a few years until I had to fix it again just recently. Then the 4x4 switch began failing - I didn't know any better and let the pricks kick that can down the road until it was out of warranty. Then at 38k the state inspector said my lower ball joints were about smoked. At 50k, the uppers failed, 1 strut failed, front diff started leaking, and engine started burning oil (5.3, LMG). Around 60k the hub bearings got SUPER noisy. I dealt with that until 70k when I couldn't take it anymore. The replacement Moog hub bearings lasted 20k miles. Now running SKF bearings - already passed 20k miles. At 97k I went to change my rear diff oil, and found the tips of all the spider gear teeth in the magnet! Who knows how long it had been that way. Judging from the excessive backlash I had, probably since 50-70k miles. Installed an Ox Locker pneumatic locking diff with 4 spider gears. Then just 6k miles later, at 103k miles, the 4L60E lost 3rd and 4th gear, completely without warning! One minute it was working, the next, it was NEUTRAL.
Smitty,
Most of the problems you listed there are exactly the reason I'm very happy with my regular cab, 8ft bed, roll up windows, 4x4 stick on the floor, 4.8 with no DOD, plain Jane work truck from down south with no rust. 2007 to 2011 were not great years for GM so the truck with the simplest systems wins!
-Don

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 10:58 am

Ahh, good you got a non-AFM engine. Yeah, simpler is ALWAYS better!

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:02 am

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Welllll, tranny went on my 04 Silverado--- couldn't even find one here in Upstate, NY---finally my daughter found one in Pa. useing VIN---$980---headed down there tomorrow to get her Dodge truck w/ tranny & come back for the install. Life is good!!! NOT!!!! :lol:
Ahh *censored*!! Sorry to hear that buddy. Always something! Glad you found one. :yes: The good part is, those 800 series trucks are MUCH easier to install a tranny on than my POS '07. Talk about frustration!! Took me 2 weeks WITH a lift ... :o :o :o

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:08 am

Nothing is cheap with 21st century vehicles. It's absolutely ridiculous. Parts are of the worst quality ever seen, and yet they cost 4x-6x more than they did in the past.

Since I tow with mine, and the stocker could hardly make it to 100k miles, I bought one that will outlast the truck ... but it cost $4,900.

BigBarney, tell me how much you love your EV's WHEN they start breaking. Your only option is the dealer, since guys like me that work on them are few and far between. Hope you've got a FAT checkbook! I'll stick with gas.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:14 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:45 pm
Was wondering what that $700 relay looked like. These new cars are all very electrical and computer machines. I can still do brake jobs, oil changes, oxygen sensors, belts, and small stuff. But when it comes to electrical stuff you either need a computer-ish device to troubleshoot. Not bad since the computers tell ya everything but the trouble-shooting pc-connecting devices get pricey.

I have brought cars to auto-zone and others, they'll plug in their devices .. if you get lucky they'll find the issue.

When your car is dead in the water, you need to tow it somewhere just to have it evaluated.

Such is life I guess. Computers. I recall when they came onto the market "No more paper" they said LOL
Actually they DON'T tell you everything. They just point you in a general direction. Still need to troubleshoot to be sure what the code is actually flagging for. There's ways to get by without one, but it sure does save time having direction right off the bat.

My next "new" car is going to have a carburetor! :yes:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:59 am

SMITTY wrote:
Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:14 am

My next "new" car is going to have a carburetor! :yes:
And points !

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 10:09 pm

God willing! :D

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:02 pm

SMITTY wrote:
Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:02 am
Ahh *censored*!! Sorry to hear that buddy. Always something! Glad you found one. :yes: The good part is, those 800 series trucks are MUCH easier to install a tranny on than my POS '07. Talk about frustration!! Took me 2 weeks WITH a lift ... :o :o :o
Smitty, is your 2007 Silverado an early 2007 "classic" of the older model or is it a late 2007 new model GMT900? NO particular reason for asking, just curious. They had them side by side for a while on the dealer lots. Pretty sure that the early 2007 models were the last ones that GM offered a manual trans on. Except Mexico market, where they kept going with them.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:12 pm

Have my 2015 GMC Sierra 2 yrs now and its been close to flawless. Great MPG,tons of power for a V-6, ZERO rust. Lots of miles that dont seem to make any difference 136000 .So quiet and smooth running i try to start it sometimes when its already running. Still looks brand new.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:26 pm

car hauling.JPG
.JPG | 35.8KB | car hauling.JPG
Real men don't buy trucks

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. Feb. 20, 2023 10:39 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 1:31 pm
As some of you know, I've run into the Old Rusty Truck dilemma.

Let me know if you guys have any better ideas on how to solve the old truck dilemma!
Best way to solve old truck dilemma is with a new truck or newer. Even though GM trucks can last 30yrs its not always cost effective to hang on that long. My formula was get the newest truck i could afford even with high mileage. Wound up with a high mile 4 yr old truck for 13k at @$230.00 a month. The high mileage was surly all highway at only 4yrs old. An old truck can cost you more in repairs if they are major.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Feb. 20, 2023 11:06 am

Actually, they used better metals on the older trucks. While your truck may look new paint wise, underneath it is rusting away, I can guarantee. It might not look it, but I assure you, it is. I have to use an industrial air hammer to get brake rotors off of anything starting back around '07-'08 or so. I did a brake job on a '18 back in 2020, and that air hammer had to WORK for quite some time to rattle those rotors off. Never seen anything like it in all my years of wrenching. Just 2 years old! If you haven't had problems yet, consider yourself VERY blessed!! You got yourself a good one.

hank2 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:02 pm
Smitty, is your 2007 Silverado an early 2007 "classic" of the older model or is it a late 2007 new model GMT900? NO particular reason for asking, just curious. They had them side by side for a while on the dealer lots. Pretty sure that the early 2007 models were the last ones that GM offered a manual trans on. Except Mexico market, where they kept going with them.
It's the 900 series. A mechanic would've been able to tell that just from the problems I've had, if that tells you anything. Glaring differences in quality between the 800 series and 900 series. The 900 goes, stops, steers, and rides better, but at the expense of parts quality across the board. The interior of my truck has squeaked and rattled at 2,000 miles, more than a 266,000 mile '94 K1500 I used to own. Brakes were pulsating on the TEST DRIVE!! 40 miles on the clock! The LS engines are all great, BUT, GM ruins them with low bidder crap parts they put inside them - the AFM lifters being just one of many parts. Valve springs break, rockers spit needle bearings into the engine, and there are countless places for internal oil leaks (especially on a AFM engine) that cause early valvetrain failures. Transmissions don't last, and neither do rear end components, unless you drive it like a 98 year old grandmother. The 800 series truck routinely reach 300k miles or more without ever having to go into the engine, and the rest of the driveline will last deep into 200k mile territory.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Feb. 20, 2023 11:08 am

Oh, and if you expect to get more than 12 years out of any salt-belt 21st century built truck, you MUST oil the undercarriage every fall just before the salt flies.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”