The Old Truck Dilemma, What To Buy?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 1:18 pm

Welllll, tranny went on my 04 Silverado--- couldn't even find one here in Upstate, NY---finally my daughter found one in Pa. useing VIN---$980---headed down there tomorrow to get her Dodge truck w/ tranny & come back for the install. Life is good!!! NOT!!!! :lol:

Attachments

IMG_0003 - Copy.JPG
.JPG | 71.1KB | IMG_0003 - Copy.JPG

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 2:38 pm

https://media.them.us/photos/5ba3c357fc82350011a7 ... HEADER.jpg

Oh oh bad tranny ...

Its a chevy ... does it even need one ?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 5:04 pm

Hang In There,FFred..!! I'm thinkin' one of them thar Woolrich Sock Coffee Filters got sucked into the Torque Converter from last Saturday's Freddy's Coffee House... Just aint' no comin' back from that..!!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 5:33 pm

Wow, $1000 for a 19 year old tranny! Thats a lot. Maybe wear a dress and makeup and flirt with the guy for a discount ;)

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 6:41 pm

I wish the transmission in my trucks were that cheap. I have 2 6.0 powerstrokes 1 automatic and one that is a ZF-6 manual. A ZF trans is about 3000 and the built auto I have in my red 6.0 (this one is between 600-700 HP) is 5500. I blew 2 stock ones and then bit the bullet and got a built one. Well that was before I had my own house and developed a coal burning hobby :lol:

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 7:58 pm

Why buy a vehicle with a transmission ?? Really not needed...

Got 3 cars and 0 transmissions.

BigBarney

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:06 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 7:58 pm

BigBarney
Are you going to give one of your cars to Fred? Having to pay for a repair is bad enough without you parading in and mocking his choice of vehicle.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:15 pm

Used zf5's are big money too, over 1000 avg for a smallblock 4x4 one now. Paid 550 for a used zf5 with unknown miles in 2017 that I needed for my 89 f-250. Had one we got from ez pull for 50 bucks but it was no good and the M5OD in the truck sounded like an airplane at 45 mph lol.

Cant find parts for the 86 toyota either, the steering gear has some play but reman ones are obsolete.

I pay 105 dollars every six months for liability insurance on the pair. The f-250 got rear ended on route 61 turning into cj's tire for inspection and emissions in 2017, the turn signals and the brake lights were working, 16 yr old girl hit me. Her parents insurance company gave me $2200 to fix the truck (the 80% max) I had to replace the bumper and the trailer hitch and the tail lights.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:20 pm

Idlorah wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 6:41 pm
I wish the transmission in my trucks were that cheap. I have 2 6.0 powerstrokes 1 automatic and one that is a ZF-6 manual. A ZF trans is about 3000 and the built auto I have in my red 6.0 (this one is between 600-700 HP) is 5500. I blew 2 stock ones and then bit the bullet and got a built one. Well that was before I had my own house and developed a coal burning hobby :lol:
Better save up for a fresh one with your coal hauling hobby lol.
Guy I watch on youtube bought a lower mileage used manual dodge truck in nice shape just for the transmission to put behind a cummins he's putting in an old 80's gmc dually. He said he was tired of buying "good" transmissions that needed rebuilding, the one he put in his cummins swap bread truck was supposed to be good and it was worn out and he spent a bunch ordering new internals and bearings.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:25 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Welllll, tranny went on my 04 Silverado--- couldn't even find one here in Upstate, NY---finally my daughter found one in Pa. useing VIN---$980---headed down there tomorrow to get her Dodge truck w/ tranny & come back for the install. Life is good!!! NOT!!!! :lol:
That sucks Fred!
Hope you get it back together in a timely manner.
You might want to bypass the cooler in the radiator (risk of metal contamination) and install a new external cooler, also make sure to flush out the transmission cooler lines.

My 2013 Sonata hybrid broke down on me last month and I could not diagnose it. had to have the dealer look at it and fix it and it cost $1290 to repair it. Now mom and I are thinking of trading it in on a new car before it goes again but the dealers only want to give us $4000 for the car so they can sell it for $10,000

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:38 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 7:58 pm

BigBarney
Barney

Here is a relay from my hybrid car.

When it went bad the car turned into a brick.

I was unable to diagnose it myself.

Had to use AAA to have it towed to the dealership.

Waited two weeks for the diagnosis.

This part was found to be bad and it cost $693 plus labor and diagnostic fee coming to $1290

I was told that was one of the less expensive repairs. Had it been a bad battery we would be looking at $6000

I was offered $4000 for a trade in from several dealers not worth trading in.

Only reason I have the 2013 sonata hybrid is my uncle passed away in 2017 and left me some money. I built a garage and installed a heating system and fixed up the house for my mom and bought us a nice car to get around in. bought it because it was very clean and the price was well below market. Fred is retired and has no money for an electric car.

I looked at an electric car that mom and i may be able to afford. a nissan leaf. the range is only 150 miles and the car costs $29,000!! my hybrid with a 6 speed automatic transmission can go over 600 miles on a tank.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:45 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:38 pm
Barney

Here is a relay from my hybrid car.
Was wondering what that $700 relay looked like. These new cars are all very electrical and computer machines. I can still do brake jobs, oil changes, oxygen sensors, belts, and small stuff. But when it comes to electrical stuff you either need a computer-ish device to troubleshoot. Not bad since the computers tell ya everything but the trouble-shooting pc-connecting devices get pricey.

I have brought cars to auto-zone and others, they'll plug in their devices .. if you get lucky they'll find the issue.

When your car is dead in the water, you need to tow it somewhere just to have it evaluated.

Such is life I guess. Computers. I recall when they came onto the market "No more paper" they said LOL

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:46 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:45 pm
Was wondering what that $700 relay looked like. These new cars are all very electrical and computer machines. I can still do brake jobs, oil changes, oxygen sensors, belts, and small stuff. But when it comes to electrical stuff you either need a computer-ish device to troubleshoot. Not bad since the computers tell ya everything but the trouble-shooting pc-connecting devices get pricey.

I have brought cars to auto-zone and others, they'll plug in their devices .. if you get lucky they'll find the issue.

When your car is dead in the water, you need to tow it somewhere just to have it evaluated.

Such is life I guess. Computers. I recall when they came onto the market "No more paper" they said LOL

Maybe that relay is made from corethian (sp) leather..driving up the cost

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:56 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 8:45 pm

I could have had the car towed home and replaced the part myself but I was advised by a good friend that used to work at a Kia dealer to not mess with it, the techs have special gear and training to work with the 270 volt pack, this relay was inside the covers.

The car is good runner, it's got lotsa torque, it eats up the highway. It's quieter and rides better than my Lincoln Town Cars.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 11:46 pm

Wise not to mess with anything related to to large voltage areas. Unless you want to be known as "Mr. Toast"

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”