The Old Truck Dilemma, What To Buy?

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 3:47 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Feb. 27, 2022 7:43 pm
For the inspection they started implementing it what must be 25 years ago and then canned most of it mid stream when people started learning what this was going to require and the expense in repairs if it failed. For most areas of PA they check your gas cap, emissions test complete. LOL I think in some of the more populated areas like Philly it's slightly more involved.
The dig in Pa. is that even vehicles in non-emission test counties (not many of them anymore) have to pass emissions visual inspection on 5 things. Everything in the state back to 1975. They made it part of the regular safety inspection procedure for the whole state some years ago. All has to be there and appear to be working. EGR, Evap systems, catalytic converter, Air injection pump and gas cap test. For a lot of older cars/trucks a lot of that stuff is not available at any price. Even really strict emissions states like NY, NJ and Mass all exempt vehicles either pre OBD-I or a flat 30 years. I wrote to my state senator and rep a few years ago and pointed out the exception that PA. is. They didn't give a hoot. Of course, if you're in an emissions county, you get the read out on anything OBD-II. That goes back more than 20 years. Data goes right to the crooked state contractor as it's read at the garage. That contractor has a mega millions sweet heart deal with PA. If ya had an '82 D350 that didn't have a cat when new, that's a different story. Half tons didn't get cats until 1978.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:40 pm

YESTERDAY AFTER A FEW LONG DRIVES...

I ended up coming home in this!
IMG_0011.JPG
.JPG | 378.1KB | IMG_0011.JPG
Long story short,

I drove down to Southern Virginia yesterday morning.
Checked the frame out for rust = PASS!
Checked the body out for rust = PASS!
Checked the functionality of everything on the truck = PASS!
Things were looking real good, and then,,,
Took it on the first test drive = CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! DANG IT!!!

After about 70 more miles of test driving, some time with the scanner and conversations with my mechanic, we determined and confirmed that it has a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) issue. Worst case, 10 hours labor, $300 or $400 parts, best case about $200. I told the dealer that I couldn't buy it because of this.

To my surprise he was willing to negotiate on price! :o
Bottom line, I got it for a price that I am Totally comfortable with. :yes:
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 392.9KB | IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 326.3KB | IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
.JPG | 379.1KB | IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
.JPG | 365.9KB | IMG_0010.JPG
I really like the steering wheel and dash layout on these newer trucks.
IMG_0012.JPG
.JPG | 321.3KB | IMG_0012.JPG
Also, these seats are great! I spent a LOT of time in them yesterday.
IMG_0013.JPG
.JPG | 293.8KB | IMG_0013.JPG
4X4 stick on the floor. None of that push button crap!
IMG_0014.JPG
.JPG | 299KB | IMG_0014.JPG
THE MIGHTY 4.8 Liter LS (err,,, Vortec) V8!
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 307.8KB | IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 307.3KB | IMG_0004.JPG
This truck was owned be a cable company down in Southern Virginia and used as a service truck. It's got plenty of minor scratches and dents, just the way I like it!

The ARE utility cap will go to whoever wants it, or the scrap yard. I couldn't get the flashing lights on top to work so that will get scrapped too.

So that's it, my Old Truck Dilemma is solved, for now.....

Thanks for all your input and help!
-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:44 pm

I am glad the search is over. Hopefully the VVT issue is as simple a fix as you are expecting. In some cases it can be due to varnish/dirty oil.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 8:48 pm

Good Show,Don!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 8:51 pm

It's you Donny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 10:09 pm

Im glad you didnt waste a trip. I like dents too cuz I know I'll add some more! Enjoy your new ride.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:13 am

hank2 wrote:
Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 3:47 am
The dig in Pa. is that even vehicles in non-emission test counties (not many of them anymore) have to pass emissions visual inspection on 5 things. Everything in the state back to 1975. They made it part of the regular safety inspection procedure for the whole state some years ago. All has to be there and appear to be working. EGR, Evap systems, catalytic converter, Air injection pump and gas cap test. For a lot of older cars/trucks a lot of that stuff is not available at any price. Even really strict emissions states like NY, NJ and Mass all exempt vehicles either pre OBD-I or a flat 30 years. I wrote to my state senator and rep a few years ago and pointed out the exception that PA. is. They didn't give a hoot. Of course, if you're in an emissions county, you get the read out on anything OBD-II. That goes back more than 20 years. Data goes right to the crooked state contractor as it's read at the garage. That contractor has a mega millions sweet heart deal with PA. If ya had an '82 D350 that didn't have a cat when new, that's a different story. Half tons didn't get cats until 1978.
I have pa antique tags on one of my cars that is missing some of the original equipment.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:15 am

Nice truck Don.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve

Post by hank2 » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 5:22 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:13 am
I have pa antique tags on one of my cars that is missing some of the original equipment.
Yep, that's one good way to go to completely avoid emissions. My only candidate is my '82 D150 but that's way to beat down cosmetically to get an antique tag. The things that have to be it for normal reg are still there, sort of. The 15 yr. old classic car tag also gets you out of emissions but not safety inspection. Like antique tags, it has to be very nice and very original. My '81 bike could get antique tags but why bother.

Don, that was a great find and worth doing a bit of work. I had a very similar Silverado, an '08 4wd, bought new. Less than $20k new at the old GM's fire sale. Only difference was being an LS, had a chrome front bumper and cloth seats. Otherwise, the same as your work truck. No power windows or locks. 4.8 which did not have the variable cylinder deactivation back then.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 8:03 pm

hank2 wrote:
Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 5:22 pm
Yep, that's one good way to go to completely avoid emissions. My only candidate is my '82 D150 but that's way to beat down cosmetically to get an antique tag. The things that have to be it for normal reg are still there, sort of. The 15 yr. old classic car tag also gets you out of emissions but not safety inspection. Like antique tags, it has to be very nice and very original. My '81 bike could get antique tags but why bother.

No picture or condition requirement in PA for antique plates. The paint on my towncar is bad and the top is cracked. Gotta have tags on a car here to store it in the yard. it's still an antique. 36 yrs old.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Too many rules and laws! All I would have is collectors if I had to deal with those crooks.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 7:45 am

Ford motor in it??? Lol glad you found something that will work for you Don!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 7:56 am

hank2 wrote:
Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 5:22 pm
Don, that was a great find and worth doing a bit of work. I had a very similar Silverado, an '08 4wd, bought new. Less than $20k new at the old GM's fire sale. Only difference was being an LS, had a chrome front bumper and cloth seats. Otherwise, the same as your work truck. No power windows or locks. 4.8 which did not have the variable cylinder deactivation back then.
Thanks!
When I started looking at these trucks a month ago I had totally forgotten that GM was bankrupt in 2008! :what:
Most of the trucks I was seeing were 07's and 08's. I wasn't really expecting to find anything that was as new as 2011 for under $10K. I'm glad I did though, I think GM got better after the bail out.

One of the things I like about this 4.8 is it doesn't have the dreaded cylinder deactivation. Being that I wasn't looking for something this new I didn't know it had VVT. Still I would rather have VVT than cylinder deactivation! :yes:

The Mighty 4.8.
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 307.8KB | IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
.JPG | 378.1KB | IMG_0011.JPG
I'm off today so once it warms up a little I'll be doing some work on the truck. Oil change and removing the cap is the plan. If that goes well maybe well take the cap, the old water heater and some other scrap to the scrap yard.
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 392.9KB | IMG_0005.JPG
lincolnmania wrote:
Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:13 am
I had thought about alternate tags for the truck a few years ago. Then when I started the Porsche 944 + V8 project I really looked into it. Unfortunately in PA all of these alternate tags have TONS of restrictions. You can't drive more that 5,000 miles a year, you can't drive after dark and you can only drive to and from car shows and club events. That pretty much eliminates using it as daily transport.

-Don

hank2

Post by hank2 » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 2:36 pm

Pa. actually allows use of an antique or classic car tagged vehicle as occasional transportation. They define that as no more than once a week. If it's a pickup, nothing may ever be hauled in it. There's a local guy I casually know that has a totally straight '61 Galaxie. That's tagged antique but he drives it a whole lot locally in the warmer months.

Don, that cap has to worth something but I'm sure it would be a pain to sell, like anything. I found out that GM was making the beds on Chevy trucks a different dimension than the GMC models. Crazy! No interchange on tonneau covers or caps.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 6:53 pm

hank2 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 2:36 pm
Don, that cap has to worth something but I'm sure it would be a pain to sell, like anything. I found out that GM was making the beds on Chevy trucks a different dimension than the GMC models. Crazy! No interchange on tonneau covers or caps.
The cap has good value at the scrap yard right now! :lol:

Wow, I didn't know that. Chevy and GMC beds are different? Who's great idea was that! :o

Today we changed the oil and filter, stuck some STP in it just like "The King" would do!
I'm using this as an "Oil Flush". It's going into the shop next Friday and the oil & filter will get changed again then. This week I will put a few miles on it to wash things out a bit.
IMG_0012.JPG
.JPG | 590.3KB | IMG_0012.JPG
Then we unbolted the big aluminum cap. Hitched it to a tree with a come-along and drove out from under it.
IMG_0001.JPG
.JPG | 492.7KB | IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
.JPG | 554.3KB | IMG_0002.JPG
It was pretty risky but we got the truck out from under it with no new scrapes or dents!
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 220.9KB | IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 569.7KB | IMG_0005.JPG
To me, it looks SO MUCH BETTER without the cap! :D
IMG_0009.JPG
.JPG | 313.4KB | IMG_0009.JPG
It's GREAT to have a usable truck again. After I changed the oil I took my used oil to be recycled and there is no better way to do it than in the back of a pickup truck!

I cut the cap up into some manageable pieces and got them ready to load up. We got done a little late so we will have to do the scrap run tomorrow.
IMG_0018.JPG
.JPG | 554.2KB | IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
.JPG | 594.8KB | IMG_0019.JPG
It ain't a bad look'in truck now!
IMG_0021.JPG
.JPG | 375.9KB | IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
.JPG | 298.7KB | IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
.JPG | 364KB | IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
.JPG | 378.2KB | IMG_0026.JPG
Here is a video of the truck cap acrobatics...

-Don

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”