Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 5:24 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:26 am
Pretty ironic, ya think W???????????????????? ;) :lol:

quote=warminmn post_id=821000 time=1679922246 user_id=7418]
Nice car!

Auto's are like dating. If they werent at least 18 years old I never wanted them. As Im getting older so are my autos. ;)
[/quote]

Yes it is! I drove a newer Dodge crossover type a couple years ago by almost accident and I was never so glad to get out of a car in my life. Buzzers and bells going off for who knows what reason. Crap all over the dash telling me useless things. felt like I was in a spaceship, lol

My 1992 Ford truck has no working oil gauge, electric charge gauge, or fuel gauge. Only thing that works is the temp gauge. I hardly care, it owes me nothing. Bought it for $800 in 2010.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 8:44 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 5:24 pm
Yes it is! I drove a newer Dodge crossover type a couple years ago by almost accident and I was never so glad to get out of a car in my life. Buzzers and bells going off for who knows what reason. Crap all over the dash telling me useless things. felt like I was in a spaceship, lol

My 1992 Ford truck has no working oil gauge, electric charge gauge, or fuel gauge. Only thing that works is the temp gauge. I hardly care, it owes me nothing. Bought it for $800 in 2010.
[/quote]

I had a 2-wheel 1992. I loved that truck. It was ugly, but the only problem I ever had with it was the fuel line to the rear tank rotted off. I drove it a couple more years using just the front tank.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:58 pm

problem with the old stuff is if it's not a pony car or a truck the parts are obsolete. Cash for clunkers took out so many yrs back too.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 4:55 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:58 pm
problem with the old stuff is if it's not a pony car or a truck the parts are obsolete. Cash for clunkers took out so many yrs back too.
Parts are out there. Just not cheap sometimes depending on the vehicle or age. I managed to find some pretty obsolete factory stuff for our Merc. My buddy has a '66 Belvedere he's found quite a few parts for. Internet was a huge help there.
k-2 wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:15 am
Some of the old girls require a lot if maintenance as well.
Yeah, but that can be done in hours or minutes with basic hand tools. Anything '07 and newer requires hours to do basic maintenance, and endless frustration trying to figure out what kind of *censored* another human being must be to engineer something like THIS!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 7:41 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:58 pm
I prefer the oldies, too, but in my business if it's not a Ford Model T or Model A, then parts are very rare thanks to ten years of the depression ending with the ultimate "cash for clunkers" drive,...four years of the massive scrap metal drive of WWII,..... with fuel and rubber rationing thrown in that took even more of the desirable medium and large cars out of circulation.

If you're driving something more than 25 years old, it's considered an antique and the collectors have likely cleaned out the junk yards of anything good. Try joining and looking for parts in the antique clubs of that make/model.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 8:48 am

10 years ago I found decent front fenders for my 73 Ford truck in a local scrapyard. I think they were $50 each. it was on the carpart website. When I went there they chuckled and said I was lucky it wasnt a Chevy as those have been gone for years.

Anyway, the parts that I dont see for sale much anymore here are the older auto trannies and carbed engines. They dried up and when offered are fairly expensive. The prices here are still usually massively lower priced than the eastern US prices.

The good part is the old trannies can be rebuilt if you have them. Im sitting on a C6, 2 C4's and a powerglide from 1963 so can rig up something.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 9:46 am

Ahhhh yes--slip & slide with Powerglide!!!! :lol:

quote=warminmn post_id=821092 time=1680094087 user_id=7418]
10 years ago I found decent front fenders for my 73 Ford truck in a local scrapyard. I think they were $50 each. it was on the carpart website. When I went there they chuckled and said I was lucky it wasnt a Chevy as those have been gone for years.

Anyway, the parts that I dont see for sale much anymore here are the older auto trannies and carbed engines. They dried up and when offered are fairly expensive. The prices here are still usually massively lower priced than the eastern US prices.

The good part is the old trannies can be rebuilt if you have them. Im sitting on a C6, 2 C4's and a powerglide from 1963 so can rig up something.
[/quote]

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 10:51 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 9:46 am
Ahhhh yes--slip & slide with Powerglide!!!! :lol:

They sure did! :lol: Strangely they wasted very little gas, especially compared to Ford at the time. But I always felt like there was a rubber band inside slowly getting my 283 up to speed 8-) Now those were the good ole days!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 11:28 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Mar. 29, 2023 7:41 am
I prefer the oldies, too, but in my business if it's not a Ford Model T or Model A, then parts are very rare thanks to ten years of the depression ending with the ultimate "cash for clunkers" drive,...four years of the massive scrap metal drive of WWII,..... with fuel and rubber rationing thrown in that took even more of the desirable medium and large cars out of circulation.

If you're driving something more than 25 years old, it's considered an antique and the collectors have likely cleaned out the junk yards of anything good. Try joining and looking for parts in the antique clubs of that make/model.

Paul
New windshields are obsolete for the 80-89 town cars and 79-91 crown vic and grand marquis. People in the online groups can't find them. I had a friend come from new jersey to drop a grand marquis at my house for my glass guy to install a new windshield, they had to order the glass from Virginia and it was the last one on the east coast. Chinaman not making new glass for older cars like they used to.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”