Why doesn’t my car drive itself?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 4:19 pm

Why doesn’t my car drive itself? I don’t mean like a Tesla drives itself, rolling stops and all. I can do that, too.

I mean, it doesn’t “track” at all, and there’s zero feedback through the steering wheel.

I have a 1997 Honda Accord wagon, and a 2016 Accord sedan. With the wagon, I could drive along holding a bowl of corn flakes in my left hand, eating with my right, and just stick my knee up once in a while to nudge the steering wheel for minor corrections. With the newer sedan, if I take my hands off the wheel, or even take my eyes off the road for a second, it instantly heads for the ditch or for another lane. Is it due to electric power steering vs. hydraulic? Is it differences in camber/caster/toe-in alignment? Are ALL new cars like that?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Modern technology R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Yep older stuff is much more oriented to what I call operational multi tasking.
It’s nothing like the stuff they call multi tasking now a days, it’s a life style kind of thing in a certain identifiable age group. Your turn, what are a few other things that could be mentioned ?

rberq

Post by rberq » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 6:41 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 5:10 pm
Modern technology R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Yes. My mechanic was grousing about all the electronics in cars now. He figures that we could do very well with early to mid 1990's technology.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 6:43 pm

Longer wheel base could be one reason. Front wheel drives can be tougher to keep straight too but I think they both have that. Tires can easily make things strange. Get yourself an old rear wheel drive Crown Vic or Buick Roadmaster and never look back, lol You can rent out the back seat as an apartment for extra cash.

rberq

Post by rberq » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:01 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 6:43 pm
Get yourself an old rear wheel drive Crown Vic or Buick Roadmaster and never look back
There's something to that. One of my neighbors a mile up the road has three of them in the yard, all in good shape -- not the Crown Vic but whatever the Mercury equivalent is. Maybe not so good in the snow and ice ....

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:02 pm

What the hell R--ya forget about chains????????????????????????? LOL

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:42 pm

The Merc's are a better version. More comfy and other options. Lincoln's take it a step further. Cars were rear wheel drive for 80 years before they switched. I have zero problems with traction but am used to rear wheel drives. On straight ice front wheel drive is better. Civilian versions usually get 25MPG in warm weather. Police versions not as much. I needed a large car for hauling loads of stuff and research led me to Vics. I can do the repairs myself on Vics too. Other models, not so much.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:52 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 6:43 pm
Longer wheel base could be one reason. Front wheel drives can be tougher to keep straight too but I think they both have that. Tires can easily make things strange.
I think you hit the Both nails right on the head there Warm!
Newer front drive cars are bigger and heavier than they have ever been. The weight and the longer wheel base is part of the problem. But I think the main problem is the wheels and tires.

In the past 15 years everything has gone from a relatively normal tire profile that works perfect for everyday driving. To wide, very low profile wheels and tires. This type of wheel and tire combination is great for a sports car but not good for comfortable cruising because it requires constant input from the driver.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 1:51 pm

No, not all new cars are like that. Sounds to me like you need an aligment, or something is wrong with the steering rack.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 5:13 pm

My 2006 Lacrosse is FWD and probably longer than that car. It's straight as arrow going down the road. The tires/rims are probably what would be considered mid range profile. Not mine obviously but this could be a picture of my car:

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”