3G ending. More auto link systems going away

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 1:10 am

I remember some of the older 90's GM cars having trouble when their OnStar systems going into constant operation attempts when they went out of communication after analog cell service ended.

Since the cell carriers are killing 3G soon, (Jan. 2022 to end of the year for Verizon) Here's an article with all the auto brands that will lose various link set ups for all sorts of things. It's amazing that some of these models are as new as 2019 models, depending on the brand.

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-ways-shutting-o ... 1848265836

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 5:59 am

We’ve been loosing 3g service in my area for about a year now. A lot of the flow meters we use on gas well pads use cell modems to transmit data. It isn’t just plug and play upgrading either. Good times.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 8:22 am

How exciting.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 11:10 am

Y2K + 22...

If you use internet tech at all its going to get dated. I cant wait to see what happens to all these smart home devices down the road, but maybe their life span isnt very long anyway.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 12:43 pm

Verizon shut off 3G in the cell where I live earlier this year, my iPhone 4S (3G) stopped working, I had to drive to another nearby cell in order to make a call. The worst part was Verizon refused to admit what they did. Long story short I got hold of a 6S, which is LTE, and switched to that phone. I had to contact Verizon to make the switch while sitting in a Burger King parking lot. At that point I had threatened to cancel my service, ranted on about how bad the signal is at my house, reminded them I've been a customer since 1996, blah blah blah. They finally admitted they shut 3G off in the cell to use the bandwidth for 5G, plus I got a "signal booster" out of them for no cost. The device plugs into my router and actually routes the calls over the Interwebnets and not over the air.
It was not a pleasant experience but Verizon is the only service provider with a cell tower here so there is no other choice.
All current wireless devices become obsolete after awhile. As they age apps no longer work, that's happening to my older iPad now.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 1:39 pm

CoalHeat wrote:
Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 12:43 pm
Verizon shut off 3G in the cell where I live earlier this year, my iPhone 4S (3G) stopped working, I had to drive to another nearby cell in order to make a call. The worst part was Verizon refused to admit what they did. Long story short I got hold of a 6S, which is LTE, and switched to that phone. I had to contact Verizon to make the switch while sitting in a Burger King parking lot. At that point I had threatened to cancel my service, ranted on about how bad the signal is at my house, reminded them I've been a customer since 1996, blah blah blah. They finally admitted they shut 3G off in the cell to use the bandwidth for 5G, plus I got a "signal booster" out of them for no cost. The device plugs into my router and actually routes the calls over the Interwebnets and not over the air.
It was not a pleasant experience but Verizon is the only service provider with a cell tower here so there is no other choice.

All current wireless devices become obsolete after awhile. As they age apps no longer work, that's happening to my older iPad now.
We've noticed that Verizon's service is not as good as it used to be before all this 3,4,5G stuff. I have a plain clam shell (dumb) phone and it's affecting the reception on it too. The worst service is at our Saratoga house on the east side of town only about a mile and a half from the tower and no hills in the way, just lots more people using smart phones. And every time they come out with the latest and greatest the reception gets another step worse.

Paul

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Absolutely! I know where the cell tower is, not far away. It's been there for years, well before Verizon when Sussex Cellular was still around. When we have a power failure and the Internet is out you can make voice calls but data is as good as useless. A text might or might not send, forget about going online.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 3:57 pm

I get just enough of a scrap of 1x ( Verizon CDMA version of 2G?) to make a call at certain parts of the house. When the trees are leafed out, it's backyard only. 200 feet up the road it's full blown 4G LTE. Even if I stay with Verizon, the 2G, 3G game will be ending.

I made the OP because those that may rely on the crap in your favorite brand of car/truck isn't going to work...soon. Nanny top speed reports and curfew stuff for the kid. Emergency help, remote unlock, location reveal (other than the unavoidable GPS), hot spot, etc., etc.

I bought a couple of new cheaper unlocked android smart phones a month ago. I haven't even unpacked them yet. They're unlocked, so I discovered that Verizon, ATT and others refuse to enable them to work as WiFi calling or even 4G voice over LTE on their plans. So... useless. You WILL buy our overpriced locked phones. Anyhow, the plan is now to go to T Mobile which has no problem enabling those calling methods for people who need to use WiFi and LTE calling with their own unlocked phones. I might even get 4G on their plan. I believe that 5G is around me but I'm going low rent. Some claim that the smart meter the power co. forced on me a couple of years ago is already cooking our brains with 5G.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 4:38 pm

Lately, we've taken to calling Verizon, "Surprisin' ". We never know what's going to happen next.

Paul

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 7:53 am

hank2 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 3:57 pm
I get just enough of a scrap of 1x ( Verizon CDMA version of 2G?) to make a call at certain parts of the house. When the trees are leafed out, it's backyard only. 200 feet up the road it's full blown 4G LTE. Even if I stay with Verizon, the 2G, 3G game will be ending.

I made the OP because those that may rely on the crap in your favorite brand of car/truck isn't going to work...soon. Nanny top speed reports and curfew stuff for the kid. Emergency help, remote unlock, location reveal (other than the unavoidable GPS), hot spot, etc., etc.

I bought a couple of new cheaper unlocked android smart phones a month ago. I haven't even unpacked them yet. They're unlocked, so I discovered that Verizon, ATT and others refuse to enable them to work as WiFi calling or even 4G voice over LTE on their plans. So... useless. You WILL buy our overpriced locked phones. Anyhow, the plan is now to go to T Mobile which has no problem enabling those calling methods for people who need to use WiFi and LTE calling with their own unlocked phones. I might even get 4G on their plan. I believe that 5G is around me but I'm going low rent. Some claim that the smart meter the power co. forced on me a couple of years ago is already cooking our brains with 5G.
When it comes to Android phones, many of them do not support WIFI calling at all, or only with certain carriers. To make it more complicated, not all of the pre-paid cellular plans do offer WIFI calling or voice over LTE. My old Motorola phone did not support WIFI calling with AT&T, but my current phone (unlocked Google Pixel) does.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 7:57 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 1:39 pm
We've noticed that Verizon's service is not as good as it used to be before all this 3,4,5G stuff. I have a plain clam shell (dumb) phone and it's affecting the reception on it too. The worst service is at our Saratoga house on the east side of town only about a mile and a half from the tower and no hills in the way, just lots more people using smart phones. And every time they come out with the latest and greatest the reception gets another step worse.

Paul
Yep, as Verizon shuts down more of the 2G & 3G towers your service will eventually not work at all. Thankfully you don't have to buy a smart phone if you don't need one - there are flip phones available that work with the newer networks.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”