5w20 5w30

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 12:26 pm

A lot has changed in the automotive oil world in recent years. With improvements in oil, the change intervals have been greatly extended.

Full synthetic used to be considered the best motor oil, but no longer. The latest thinking is the synthetic/conventional blends are better. Reason given is that there are benefits with both synthetic and conventional oils, thus the switch by some in the auto industry to specifying blended oils as first choice.

Ford is one. They recommend blended oil for my wife's 2020 Escape, and it has a turbo engine. Even a quick lube place pointed that Ford spec out to my wife.

With a quality motor oil, either the 5W-20 or the 5W-30, you won't see any difference in wear. At most you might find the 5-W-20 needs to have the oil level topped off a little bit sooner than the 5W-30 would. But with most modern engines (that are not "high mileage"), you likely would not even see a difference in oil level, like used to happen with older engine design/materials.

Paul

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 12:51 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 7:19 pm
I have seen how this type of thread can degenerate into hominids throwing poo, so beware and wear your boots cause it might get deep.

This is the situation I have a 06 toyota corrola it calls for 5w30 oil and I also have a 14 dodge journey it calls for 5w20 oil. My dilemma is I am considering buying bulk motor oil because "reasons" an I only have room for 1 barrel.

I think I will get 5w20 and use it in both. The Toyota has +200k miles and doesn't lose any *currently* the dodge has 90k miles and seems to be just broken in.

What do you all think?
My 08' Highlander calls for 5W30 while towing or 5W20 if your not so I just run 5W20( our Honda CRV also calls for 5W20) Hasn't been a problem in the last 265,000 miles. I would just get 5W20 but that's just me but I don't live in a hot climate.
I only like to keep 2 different oils on hand 5W20 for the gassers and 5W40 for the diesel.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:27 pm

-10....I was off by 10 degrees. The point of needing a stronger oil will be screaming up a mountain with the 29ft TT in tow, oil temp at 250. I saw this with 5W-40 on the way back from Maine. The 15W will effect nothing at normal driving temps around these parts.

Attachments

download.jpg
.JPG | 15.9KB | download.jpg

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:36 pm

5W40 for the diesel.
5w. 40 in a diesel ! OMG... just kidding I’m a big fan of T6.

I do recommend reading that link I posted, It will change the way you look at motor oil.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:37 pm

If cold starts were killing my engine, it would tick and rattle, have piston slap, when started up. Nope, none of the above. But my engine is quieter then my previous 3 Hemi's at 102,000+ miles. I add TC-W3 to my gas at 1 oz per 5 gal. It made an amazing difference in my truck.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:39 pm

just kidding I’m a big fan of T6.e]
I used it in everything up until now. I am switching over to 15-40 Rotella.

Kevin

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:47 pm

KLook wrote:
Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:39 pm
I used it in everything up until now. I am switching over to 15-40 Rotella.

Kevin
The kinda new full syn, yeah I tried it this year but I don’t use my diesel in the winter. Can’t say I noticed a difference from 5w 40. But dino 15w 40 to T6.. Wow

KLook

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:54 pm

I noticed higher oil pressure cold, less engine noise. I put the 15W-40 in and drove a couple thousand miles before I used the 2 stroke trick.

That is 15W-40 T-6 not the conventional.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 3:46 pm

15-40 in the Duramax and 3 diesel tractors.
5-40 in diesel VW.

Rototiller and push mower gets a squirt of 5-40 every tank full of gas.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 5:13 pm

I ran Delo 15W40 in my 7.3L and always had slow cranking in cold temps , I run 5W40 T6 in the 6.7L without any cold cranking issues, although the oil in the new motor only lubricants and isn’t part of the injection system like the 7.3L so that could be some of it.
Every vehicle i have ever owned the motor has always outlasted the rest of the vehicle and never had any lubrication related issues, i keep my vehicles for 15 plus years and put hundreds of thousands of miles on them hell my newest is a 17’ with 112,000.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 3:24 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 12:26 pm
A lot has changed in the automotive oil world in recent years. With improvements in oil, the change intervals have been greatly extended.

Full synthetic used to be considered the best motor oil, but no longer. The latest thinking is the synthetic/conventional blends are better. Reason given is that there are benefits with both synthetic and conventional oils, thus the switch by some in the auto industry to specifying blended oils as first choice.

Ford is one. They recommend blended oil for my wife's 2020 Escape, and it has a turbo engine. Even a quick lube place pointed that Ford spec out to my wife.

With a quality motor oil, either the 5W-20 or the 5W-30, you won't see any difference in wear. At most you might find the 5-W-20 needs to have the oil level topped off a little bit sooner than the 5W-30 would. But with most modern engines (that are not "high mileage"), you likely would not even see a difference in oil level, like used to happen with older engine design/materials.

Paul
SB, do you think that part of the thinking on a syn blend being better might be due to the conventional oil part providing a better protective film? I read of someone's thoughts on that a few years ago. They claimed that full syn doesn't cling to protect unused engines from corrosion and cold start up so well on machines not being used. Many say that all so called conventional oils today really are part syn. I believe that a lot of the point was related to manual trans and differentials sitting around a lot. I've always used syn blend in trans and differentials/ shaft motorcycle final drives. My old favorite for years was the Valvoline syn blend 80w90 gear oil but that disappeared long ago. There are others around. I do believe that gear oil with at least some syn in it is very beneficial for manual trans longevity.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 7:07 am

Are we talking about all ? Like the all you put in your car ? Or the all like when you say ya'all. I'm confused.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 8:13 am

re we talking about all ? Like the all you put in your car ? Or the all like when you say ya'all. I'm confused.
Yes, an "all" thread has made its way to the coal forum..... :o

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”