General Motors will be all electric by 2035

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:21 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 8:28 am
For some reason aircraft never seems to get mentioned when they talk about emissions. The amount of jet fuel that gets burned in a day is unreal.
What’s to talk about? There will be no replacement for fossil fuels in airliners (Boeing, Airbus etc), ever.

And BTW, I wonder what the real end to end carbon footprint is on an all electric car? From mining the Lithium to recycling the battery & car at the end of its life?

I bet the 91 Jetta diesel I owned from new and drove for 15 years (450,000 miles) had a lower total end to end carbon footprint than any electric cars.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:33 am

scalabro wrote:
Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:21 am
What’s to talk about? There will be no replacement for fossil fuels in airliners (Boeing, Airbus etc), ever.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :clap:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 9:56 am

scalabro wrote:

And BTW, I wonder what the real end to end carbon footprint is on an all electric car? From mining the Lithium to recycling the battery & car at the end of its life?

I bet the 91 Jetta diesel I owned from new and drove for 15 years (450,000 miles) had a lower total end to end carbon footprint than any electric cars.
We could talk about the govt. making us have catalytic converters on chainsaws, and particulate filters on off-road diesel equipment, and how that compares to what they have required in aviation. My point is airliners burn huge amounts of fuel, and there doesn't seem to be much focus on it.

I don't disagree with you about the end to end footprint of a simple ICE car vs. an all electric. Seems like many people are more interested in feeling good about themselves than seeing the big picture.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:10 am

Well Rob, it’s probably because the only thing aircraft & engine manufacturers can do is incrementally increase the efficiency of airframes and engines. Modern turbofan airliner engines already have, in layman’s terms, pollution control devices. Greater engine efficiency lies in more advanced materials inside the engine to allow higher operating temperatures. It’s my understanding that we have reached the efficiency limits on these engines with current technology that will return a profit.

Airframe manufacturers would need to abandon current aircraft design to really make large gains. Like producing a flying wing for passengers. This would greatly decrease drag. I believe Boeing has one or had one on the drawing board. One huge problem is that all of the worlds airports are designed for conventional (low wing monoplanes) type aircraft. So, infrastructure would have to change as well.

theo

Post by theo » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:28 am

scalabro wrote:

I sorta agree with you on this but the one thing i've learned in my lifetime is to never say never, just my 2 cents :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks Scott. Seems like the low hanging fruit is gone.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 11:28 am

Coal is saving Germany from a wind and solar powered disaster this winter.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/achtung-baby ... al-and-gas

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:48 pm

scalabro wrote:

I find it very interesting that they only use the "carbon footprint" for ICE vehicles, but don't mention it for EVs.

The fact that they don't mention EV footprints makes me pretty sure that there has to be a negative reason they don't want publicized, otherwise, if it was a positive thing they would also be showing that info a lot to help strengthen their arguments for switching to EVs.

With 50 years of listening to enviro-mental types I've learned it's not as important what they say,.... it's what they don't say that's really the important part. ;)

Paul

theo

Post by theo » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 3:04 pm

It's a bird, No it's a Electric Plane https://www.jobyaviation.com/

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 7:57 pm

Coal is saving Germany from a wind and solar powered disaster this winter.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/achtung-baby ... al-and-gas

Great article Larry, but I don't expect the MSM to be breathlessly reporting it to the ignorant masses here in the US.

Kevin

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 12:15 am

Rod R;

In your household you do not need 3 phase power.

Most new houses already have 200A or more of electrical

service for all needs including 2 or more EV's.

3 phase power is common in Europe because it is more

efficient especially in large motors , you have to remember

the regular outlets are 220v single phase so they already

have 2x the power (VA) of US circuits.

The car chargers in commercial charging stations are 3 phase

to be able to deliver the 400 to 800 volts for the batteries at the

high amperage needed.

BigBarney

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”