Packard One Twenty

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 7:19 am

I know I'd be interested. :)
StokerDon wrote:
Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 9:26 pm
So, I guess this means I should do a follow up to find out what happened?

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 10:26 am

hank2 wrote:
Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 12:48 am
I'd guess that master level carburetor shops are scarce today. Not totally gone like the generator and starter rebuild shops that every town used to have.
Yah, it's a shame but once we decided to start buying temporarily cheap imports and controlling everything with computers, these types of stores and shop were done-for.
freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 7:19 am
I know I'd be interested.
OK then. I'll give my freind a call this afternoon to wish him a Happy New Year and find out if he made any progress. I won't make any promises though. There are two Corvettes in front of the Packard and one of them has one of those "problematic owners". :lol:

-Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 12:04 pm

I'd also be interested to know what your shop friend finds out.

For anyone thinking of getting into the old car hobby, car clubs, especially the ones covering the make/year of your car, are the best resource for solving problems and answering questions when owning an antique vehicle. Most any problem you will encounter with an antique vehicle, someone has solved. Many clubs sell reproduction parts and literature, plus list used parts for sale.

Just like this site helps people with coal stoves, many car clubs by now have websites, and/or, pages on Face Book that do the same. Plus there are "umbrella clubs" such as the Antique Automobile Club of America that cover many makes of autos 25 years and older. I'm a tech advisor to several of those websites.

As I said, the hobby is unregulated so there are lots of shade-tree mechanics and shabby-work shops all-to-willing to help. But the word who to avoid gets passed around through club "grape vines". In one club I belong to, I know of two professional shops that went out of business when the internet came along and made it so that word of their shabby work got passed around. And those same grape vines pass along who you can trust, or where to find shops like that "master level carb shop". There are some good to know about and some to avoid. Many of which do not advertise, but are well known through the clubs that they specialize in for that make of auto. I know because I am one.

Club membership is the best money you can spend on an antique vehicle. Each year it will save you far more than it costs. ;)

Paul

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 6:46 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 12:04 pm
Club membership is the best money you can spend on an antique vehicle. Each year it will save you far more than it costs
I totally agree. The technical information you can get from a club is more than worth the price of admission.

Well, no update today. I called a couple times and got no answer. He's not like us young folks, he doesn't have a cell phone. :lol:

-Don

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Sooooo, he IS a smart man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 4:12 pm

An older(now) friend of mine has a TRUE vintage car restoration shop. You bring it to him, have a list of concerns and what you want done, from body to mechanicals. He was not cheap, but he usually did 100% rebuilds, body off frame/frame rebuild, while also doing all body interior/wiring all aspects. Machining parts that aren't available. completely old school hand fitting weld in plates for rust repair( 1/16 size flames) for welding, while wet touch cooling for preventive warping and these where cut to fit in area, not patch over. Only thing was light sand/media blasting you would never Know it was repaired/replaced. usually takes him 2>3 years to refurb a car. He has many show/rewards from ALL companies and auction houses for his quality of work. HullCo, Layton NJ if you got problems call him. he has done many Packard's, when done they were SHOWRoom new.

https://hullcogarage.com/antique-automotive-resto ... in-nj.html

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 8:27 pm

wilder11354 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 4:12 pm
An older(now) friend of mine has a TRUE vintage car restoration shop. You bring it to him, have a list of concerns and what you want done, from body to mechanicals. He was not cheap, but he usually did 100% rebuilds, body off frame/frame rebuild, while also doing all body interior/wiring all aspects. Machining parts that aren't available. completely old school hand fitting weld in plates for rust repair( 1/16 size flames) for welding, while wet touch cooling for preventive warping and these where cut to fit in area, not patch over. Only thing was light sand/media blasting you would never Know it was repaired/replaced. usually takes him 2>3 years to refurb a car. He has many show/rewards from ALL companies and auction houses for his quality of work. HullCo, Layton NJ if you got problems call him. he has done many Packard's, when done they were SHOWRoom new.

https://hullcogarage.com/antique-automotive-resto ... in-nj.html
Small world. :D That would be Doug Hull. I've known him for about 35 years through the same "aircooled" car club together....and we're also competitors. Packards are nice, but like me, the NY built aircooled ones are his favorites. ;)

Paul

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 10:06 pm

Very nice Packard Don!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”