Doomed: Subaru BRAT

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. May. 02, 2020 8:30 am

Something to read if your old enough to remember. I think most people on this forum are :roll:

https://spectator.org/doomed-subaru-brat-1977-87/

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. May. 02, 2020 9:36 am

I had a '79, it was a blast to drive.
It could chirp the front tires in second gear.

Not alot of power, but good on fuel and went real well in snow.

A local has a beater one he drives on the trails, it is all dented up from hitting trees and objects, it just keeps running.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. May. 03, 2020 7:39 am

I was still a pup but I was late enough to grow up with a few of the opposing cylinder AWD 4-door station wagons.

Those things were quite legendary around these parts. One guy I worked with on the dairy farm had one that he kept all of his tools in. When we had to go out to the field to repair a piece, that thing would go places a 4WD pickup could not go. It was very impressive for what it really was.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 03, 2020 8:28 am

Had a buddy in Vt. that got the first edition & that btch could go anywhere--UNLESS, he got belly hung in DEEP snow!! EVERYTHING has it's limitations--yep, even ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 1:23 pm

WOW... in 1984, 2 of my friends got 1979 BRATs. They were a husband and wife pair and my classmates snatched them up for 800 bucks each, which was a lot back then, but a true steak as steak for the condition they were in. Others in my class bought Broncos and Blazers along with the equivalent in trucks. Those BRATS would perform equally in our excursions. Plus they could get into tight spots unlike the previously mentioned. Great thread! Brings back memories.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Sun. May. 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Although it was not a BRAT, I bought a new 1977 Subaru station wagon with the 4wd feature. It was GREAT in the snow and very good most everwhere else. We were living in southern Vermont at that time. My biggest and really my only complaint that has kept me from ever buying another Subaru was I think the body was made out of an Alka Seltzer tablet. In about 3 years and 40K miles I had water spraying thru the top of the both fenders, the rockers rusting and all around the rear wheel wells. I know Vermont used a lot of salt in the winter and I was driving it quite a bit but WTF!
If I kept it much longer I swear it would have ended up as a red stain in the driveway.
The original Bridgestone tires wore out amazingly fast but the soft compound really gripped snow and ice.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. May. 03, 2020 3:49 pm

We had a 2014 Subaru Outback for 4 years and 80,000 miles. One of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, and hands down the best in the snow.

I have never seen a BRAT in person.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. May. 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Yup, would have liked to have one back then, in about 85 we bought 2 Subaru hatchbacks. Mine was 4 wheel drive, pull up the lever between the seats, hers was a 2 wheel drive....they were amazing.....

Kevin

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. May. 03, 2020 5:58 pm

I Loved the Rear Suicide Ejector Seats in the back bed!! I hated the rust and that nasty Dealer Only Catylytic Converter Pipe manufactured at Fort Knox!...Painful! There's a Gentleman who's business is called "The Subie Guy" just outside of Richmond,VA. Great Guy,a former PA Guy. He comes up with some amazing vehicle finds in the Subie World,and his Repair Skills are fantastic! Tell 'Em I sent Ya' ! Oh,and that isn't an advertisement,he's just that Honest and Good!

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. May. 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Junk always will be junk. A buddy had one in HS (77-81) it was only a few years old and it was rotted to the doors then 😜

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”