exhaust for 7.3

Agel
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts
Other Heating: Oil & Electric

Post by Agel » Fri. Jan. 31, 2020 6:02 am

what is your input for the best exhaust system to put on a 2003 7.3L? I am looking at having an MBPR put on with maybe an aero turbine muffler. Is there any difference to speak of with a Magnaflow system? any others? also are all straight-through mufflers like the aero turbine the same, or are there some that stand out? I am interested in getting the beast's mpg up to were it should be. and there are claims that this should gain 2-4 mpg. It doesn't sound like much, but again from about 15 mpg would be nice. I am starting PMS with the exhaust.

Thanks

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Jan. 31, 2020 9:36 am

I would just go 5” straight pipe from down pipe to the back.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jan. 31, 2020 1:47 pm

I put a Gale Banks system on my 2000 7.3. expensive but worth it. New York will ding you for straight through pipes.Forget the chip you have enough pressure already. Turbo pressure and trans temp gauges. Bullydog intake system as that engine needs to breathe in and out. I used to pull a 15000 pound horse rig up and down the East coast. Remember this was an International engine and the restricted exhaust was a nod to noise regs. I was always in rust free Florida in the winter so no rust. Tough to find one like that and I am hanging in to mine.

Put in a fresh Cam Positioning Sensor from Ford and always carry a fresh Ford made spare and a 10mm wrench ... easy to change. The rig was suddenly running like crap on Rt95 at Lumberton one night on my way home and forewarned about this I had a spare sensor. Three beers and lots of false courage and I made the change on the spot at night. Can you imagine the agro of what to do with 6 hopped up horses if we had to offload them. Knowledge is power.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Feb. 02, 2020 10:51 am

4" MBRP "cheap stainless" CAT-back with 4" downpipe.

"Turbine muffler/doo-dads" are a waste of money.

Seal up your exhaust leaks, down pipes, intake, and add CAI with a decent tuner.

My 2002 Excursion reliably made 17mpg all around, up to 22 highway in Automatic. About 12mpg loaded to 23k comb up to 80mph.

The F550 with ZF6 manual truck easily is 22-24 mpg and does about 250 miles per day empty. A little less when loaded.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Feb. 03, 2020 3:35 am

X2 on the Banks. I had a 2002 F350 and had the 4" turbo back exhaust. Put it on at 12,000 miles and sold it 13 years later with 138,000 and the exhaust still looked like new! Had a real nice sound when you had your foot into it.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”