start,stop technology on cars

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 5:15 pm

we peaked in the 80's

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 5:20 pm

hank2 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 4:55 pm
I've heard a good many horror stories of failures in late model vehicles from system circuitry being routed in insane ways.
I used to think Lucas Electrics did the most insane sh*t and it couldn't ever get worse. Haha fooled me

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 7:16 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 5:07 pm
the AACA website forums get lots of post discussions about how to fix electronics on modern cars -
As you integrate more of this it becomes a problem of hardware/software obsolescence. There is nothing that prevents you from using a printer from 1995 on modern computer other than there is no driver(software) and old printer port(hardware) to connect it to. As another example Spectrum a cable provider is dropping support for their smart home system so you are left with a pile useless junk.

Getting back to the electronic key they are going to try and lock that down as tight as drum so you can't for example install third party electronics. If you could that defeats the purpose, if you or third party are locked out of the hardware/software there is no way to fix it.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Fri. Jan. 17, 2020 2:54 pm

joethemechanic wrote:
Thu. Jan. 16, 2020 5:05 pm
Ok, I take the model A and equip it with hydraulic brakes, put the motor and trans from a MB 240D or a little Cummins B engine in it like the one in my backhoe. AS1 safety glass all around, electric wipers. I could drive that the rest of my life and spend almost nothing.

Fuel mileage LOL, you know how many times I've heard that one after somebody went 50k in debt for some rolling sh*tbox. Reminds of a woman I knew who bought a brand new fully loaded Expedition because she needed a it commute to work. OMG, what if it snows? The thing was she worked less than 2 miles from home, and made like 10-12 bucks an hour. This was in like 2005.
Still for sale
Then her husband got cancer on his brain stem, she lost the Expedition to the bank, somehow her husband took the credit hit, and she left him for some guy who's hair never moved.

They always win

Attachments

IMG_20190522_170821.jpg
.JPG | 686.5KB | IMG_20190522_170821.jpg

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Fri. Jan. 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Nice looking truck. That or an AA would suit my typical daily needs.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Seems like efficiency issues could be solved with today's technology. I mean it worked out for airplanes lol, so......
I just wanted to add that the military uses a turbine engine in the Abrahm's tanks. There was a neat segment on Impossible Engineering that covered it. It gets roughly 1 mile mile per gallon but let's not forget it weighs in at 70 tons :lol:

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 10:03 am

I had a rental back in 16 in south carolina. Jeep cherokee laredo maybe? definetly a jeep cherokee model but which, not sure... regardless it had the start/stop technology. I knew about it, but wasn't expecting it. For 7 days i treated it like a rental haha and no issues appeared.
Fast forward do i think the idea and concept have its places... absolutely. Not in rural pennsylvania but heavy urban areas and where those who commute in alot of stop and go traffic it probably would benefit.
I cant agree more its nostalgic to see older cars but reality the vehicles did not give you the mileage both fuel and life compared to todays vehicles. Was it easier to work on these than todays cars, absolutely but im sure it was cake to replace an axle on a wagon back in the day as well. Tool and educate the younger generation for the future. It was nothing to hop in under the hood on the 83 bronco i had at 16 and shut the hood while you were still it ( Just a joke guys) now you have to replace the entire wheel and well to replace a headlamp, I get it. I have a 2014 caddy i picked up for a sweet deal, that car which is a 4cyl has way more horsepower than that v8 bronco did and i get 30+ MPG.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”