GM strike

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 7:55 am

Almost over------------thoughts??????????????????

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 10:46 am

GM had excess inventory, union needed to look tough, win, win !

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 11:11 am

Apparently the settlement is goin to affect Ford & Chrysler.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Don't know Fred, it hurts when I think.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Welcome to my world!!! LOL

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Just think electric,many many less parts needed.if these electric cars catch on there will be many layoffs like early eighties when the wife lost her job,union wants some job protection,don't know if they got it.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 3:24 pm

I forget the particulars B, but their demands were many!!!

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Increased demands translates into even more sticker shock resulting in fewer sales. I don’t know about anyone else, but we bought our last new vehicle (wife’s car) 6 years ago. No new vehicles in our future. I wonder who will buy them.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 8:25 pm

If they are waiting for me to buy one they will be lonelier than the Maytag repair man. 50K for a truck? Not a truck I'll ever want or buy. their ugly too, look like a dog taking a poop with chrome on his behind. Your views may be different on the looks but I havent seen a truck i liked the looks of since the early 1990's Chevy's or 1986 Ford. Dodges and others i dont even look at, :lol: The only positive thing I can say about the looks is I like the paint they use now, real shiny.

But I guess Im glad the workers get a livable wage. Unsure how long the party will last though. Automation will be their demise.

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Being a UAW member, the GM strike is a template for future contract negotiations for all UAW plants. Right now Mack Trucks UAW workers are on strike against Volvo Trucks North America. One of their main concerns is keeping the plant where it's at and if it's moved they can keep their seniority and go with it if its moved. Getting rid of the 3 tier pay scale and have a path for the new hires to make Core group pay. Health Care I think the UAW just trying to Maintain what they have already. There was recorded profits for the auto and heavy truck market the past few years . The Union is trying to get back some of the concessions the workers gave up in 08. With Mack on strike the plant where I work is having a layoff. No engines no trucks. Volvo and Mack engines are the same just painted a different color. So this GM contract is very important to all UAW membership. Stand the line and I'm behind my Union brothers and sisters.
Tony

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Oct. 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Support here from a Teamster Brother.

fizban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 77B
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400B
Coal Size/Type: Bit various sizes
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by fizban » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 12:56 am

Hillbilly, do you work at the Dublin plant? I live in Christiansburg, but have been familiar with the industry, as my father worked at Federal Mogul.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 2:01 am

I work for Chrysler....I mean FCA so it affects me. Couple things I can't grasp is the papers here always talk about the hourly cost of a production worker and that GM always compares what Toyota pays per hour and they need to be closer to that number to be competitive (I get that) but if they want to fully compare, GM's CEO makes over double what Toyota's does. The other thing is actually against the UAW (even though I'm a member) is how can the UAW think they can tell GM what plants to keep open and close? It is sad when I went to pick up my coal this year as I drove past Lordstown but I don't see how the UAW thinks they can make them keep it open. The company has to be able to make those decisions..... I worked at Ford before coming here and it was a horrible day when we had a big meeting scheduled and when I can to work that day there were a bunch of news trucks there.....and during that meeting they told us they were closing the plant. I been through it and it's not easy but the company has to run the business. The tier system was implemented to help the company lower that overall cost during the recession but it is not a good thing when these folks are working right next to someone, doing the same job 7 days a week, no time off, no $12,000 profit sharing, no paid holidays, and making about half per hour. I also agree that these companies have to be pricing themselves out of the market....how high do these prices have to go before people quit buying? I can't tell because all I see around here is new trucks and SUV's everywhere! Has to be another crash coming, this time I will be prepared.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 5:49 am

swyman wrote:
Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 2:01 am
I also agree that these companies have to be pricing themselves out of the market....how high do these prices have to go before people quit buying? I can't tell because all I see around here is new trucks and SUV's everywhere!
Apparently they haven't found that point yet as GM just announced a 6 figure pickup truck due out this year. There are fools somewhere that will buy them at that point which only tells GM and Ford that $65K for a 1/2 ton isn't too bad of a price if it's got flashy, shiny crap on it.

Never for this cat I can tell you that.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 7:34 am

Welllllllll, having worked union back when unions actually took care of their workers--today--not so much except for the hierarchy--theses prices don't even get the kids flinching. Meeee, can't even imagine going into hock for these kind of prices. Course I was paid what I was actually worth--NOT what I think I was worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL--flag people on highway projects making $30.00 per hr.--YEP, ain't unions great--NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shovel leaners the same!!!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”