Porsche 944+Chevy V8

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 29, 2023 6:52 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Apr. 29, 2023 11:04 am
Bout time you're gettin her out to do something useful Donny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Put about 150 miles on it in the rain and drizzle today Fred. It was Fun!

I've asl been driving to work a couple days a week. :yes:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 29, 2023 7:00 pm

CARLISLE PORSCHE SWAP MEET! AND 17.9 MPG!!! :o

Went to the Carlisle Porsche Swap Meet today.
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 294.6KB | IMG_0006.JPG
The car ran perfect all the way there and back, About 150 miles round trip and about 5 hours. It was rainy and cool so not much going on at the swap meet.
IMG_0007.JPG
.JPG | 318.5KB | IMG_0007.JPG
Not much 924/944 stuff but 928's were surprisingly well represented. I looked at a copper color 968 that needed some love but lucky for me it was way out of my price range. :lol: .

The new tunning settings are GREAT! It makes more power all over the rev range. AND, it gets better gas milage!

Roll the video!

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Apr. 30, 2023 5:43 am

Glad You Fully Enjoyed Yourself..!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 30, 2023 8:35 am

Sounds like mucho fun my friend. :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 07, 2023 7:16 pm

It's running real good!

So good that I figured it was time for another video!

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:39 pm

TIME FOR THE SUNDAY DRIVE!

I'll shut up so we can go for a ride.

Happy Mothers day!
-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 21, 2023 4:36 pm

TIME FOR THE SUNDAY DRIVE!!!

But, THE VIDEO FAILED!!!
20230521_110340.jpg
.JPG | 224.4KB | 20230521_110340.jpg
Sorry folks. I've been having some problems recording the Sunday Drive for 3 weeks now. I mount the phone in the back, like I always do, hit record, make sure the meter is running. Then when I look for the video, it's gone! Very frustrating. The past 2 Sundays, I just went out for a short drive to get some footage. I did that today too but the short drive footage evaporated too. Very frustrating. Yet another reason I don't like phones! This would never happen with a real camera.

We'll try again next week!
-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 28, 2023 7:14 pm

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!
TIME TO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS!!! :o

This is the first time I ever did doughnuts in this car, or any other of my 15+ Porsches that I have owned! It was real fun, didn't break anything and I didn't get arrested!

In other news,
The problem with my phone/camera turned out to be not enough memory. I deleted a bunch of stuff and now we are good! :yes:
The last tank of gas we got 18.4 MPG. That's as good as I get in the Crown Vic. If that keeps up I'll be pretty happy. :D

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jun. 10, 2023 10:06 am

Last tank full of gas we got 19.1 MPG!

I started playing with the LED headlights from Only944.com.
I only installed one. I don't trust how these things are going to work over time and normal use. It seems to me that rain, dirt and bugs have easy access to the heat sink fan. I don't think it will live long.

If you have delt with 924/944 cars for a long time you will know that the Sport front strut is not normally available as a direct, bolt in replacement. Unfortunately, I just found out that the good, used Koni's I put on 3 years ago are now wore out! I guess I should have expected that, :lol:

Luckily, I found a set of new Porsche Koni Sport Yellows at a great price. They have a 951 part number and are a direct replacement for what is on there now. Apparently Koni still makes them in limited number for Porsche. I was pleasantly surprised That this is one of the least expensive options.

Also, I had a little trouble figuring out how the new Ground Control camber plates go on there. I talked to the nice folks at Ground Control and they showed me how to install the camber plates the right way. Funny how you can get the wrong idea of how to do a project!

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jun. 17, 2023 7:52 am

Front Strut Drama Continues....

Well, my nice, new, Porsche 951 part#, Koni shocks have a problem. One works fine, the other has no rebound and very little bump. I bought them from a small company, 944Online.com. I called yesterday late afternoon and I think they were closed for the weekend. These are a little rare and they said they were the only pair on the shelf. That means it's not very likely they they will be getting me a replacement soon.

Looks like we're gonna have to figure something else out.
Back To The Drawing Board!!!

-Don

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Jun. 17, 2023 1:07 pm

See if you can get a shock reconditioning kit. They are simple devices, likely a o-ring has gone south.

I would do both shocks....the seller sold you stuff they knew were not up to standard.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jun. 19, 2023 9:02 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Jun. 17, 2023 1:07 pm
See if you can get a shock reconditioning kit. They are simple devices, likely a o-ring has gone south.
Unfortunately, the shocks I have aren't rebuildable. Also, The O rings are fine in the shocks that I have. They still have all the bump and rebound from new. The problem is that it's a strut and it has developed play which makes it impossible to control the camber or caster.
davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Jun. 17, 2023 1:07 pm
the seller sold you stuff they knew were not up to standard.
I don't thinks so. These are factory, OEM parts that are high quality. I just got lucky and found a bad one. :oops:

On Saturday I installed and wired the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). :yes:
Unfortunately, It doesn't seem to work well with my fuel injection system. :no1:

But, at least we are back on the road. We'll get these two problems figured out in the coming week, I hope.
-Don

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Jun. 19, 2023 12:42 pm

^ Hans here modified a strut for another model to use in a Porshe.

Another idea. If you cannot find the "proper" part. Its why Harbor Freight sells welders !

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jun. 19, 2023 7:17 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Mon. Jun. 19, 2023 12:42 pm
Hans here modified a strut for another model to use in a Porshe.
Like I said, the struts I have are not the rebuildable ones so we can't take that rout. When I first got this car 4 years ago I watched a lot of Hans's 944 videos. He does good work! :yes:

Surprisingly, we actually have a resolution to our strut problem. I talked to 944Online.com this morning and they said they ordered another set of Koni's last week as soon as they took my order. The should be in this week. They will test the left side strut and ship it to me. It will come with a return label and when I'm happy with what I have I ship back the busted one.

It's nice dealing with small companies that actually have customer service!
-Don

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jun. 20, 2023 12:08 am

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jun. 19, 2023 7:17 pm
Like I said, the struts I have are not the rebuildable ones so we can't take that rout. When I first got this car 4 years ago I watched a lot of Hans's 944 videos. He does good work! :yes:

Surprisingly, we actually have a resolution to our strut problem. I talked to 944Online.com this morning and they said they ordered another set of Koni's last week as soon as they took my order. The should be in this week. They will test the left side strut and ship it to me. It will come with a return label and when I'm happy with what I have I ship back the busted one.

It's nice dealing with small companies that actually have customer service!
-Don
That's nice. Least you found some.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”