Porsche 944+Chevy V8

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jun. 01, 2021 3:03 pm

How tight is that bearing in the crankshaft? It should be tight enough you need to tap it in with a hammer. If not, I would use some Loctite or similar to keep it in place. Since it's a roller bearing, the shaft should fit snugly too. If it isn't, you'll get some jiggling on the shaft, no?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 10:09 am

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Jun. 01, 2021 2:21 pm
An old school method of removing a pilot bearing is to put grease in the center and pound in a tight fitting shaft. The grease gets behind the bearing and forces it backwards.
Yup, that's the only way I know of to remove a pilot bearing. It will be a bit challenging from under the car. I am actually thinking that the pilot bear is the problem so we will replace it. This pilot bearing is 2 roller bearings inside a common outer race. Just like a front wheel drive wheel bearing. There must be some miss alignment of the two causing it to grab the nose of the driveshaft.

In other news, It has been a real problem finding an automotive machine shop around here. It took a week to find one that would answer the phone! :o

Long story short, I will be taking the clutch and flywheel there today. We'll figure out what to do about the heat spot on the flywheel and get everything balanced.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jun. 06, 2021 5:21 pm

No progress today. It is Hot! Hot! Hot! The garage is 95 degrees. I ain't go'in out there! :what:

I dropped the clutch and flywheel off yesterday. He's gonna resurface the flywheel to get rid of the hot spot and balance both pieces. should be done this week sometime.
IMG_8065.JPG
.JPG | 284.1KB | IMG_8065.JPG
-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jun. 13, 2021 10:16 am

Got the clutch and flywheel back.
IMG_8067.JPG
.JPG | 315.1KB | IMG_8067.JPG
IMG_8068.JPG
.JPG | 274.1KB | IMG_8068.JPG
The flywheel was 4 grams out and the surface had some low spots in it. The flywheel was resurfaced and balanced to 0.44 grams.
IMG_8069.JPG
.JPG | 256.8KB | IMG_8069.JPG
The pressure plate was 14 grams out, that's a lot! :o The pressure plate was balanced to 0.33 grams.
IMG_8070.JPG
.JPG | 277.6KB | IMG_8070.JPG
I think that will cure our clutch feel problems and our engine vibration. I'm glad we found those problems. They have been bugging me for a year now!

Next thing is what to do about the pilot bearing. I got a new bearing and sleeve from Renegade Hybrids. It's a bit different than I thought it was. It's been a year and a half since I've seen the whole thing.
IMG_8071.JPG
.JPG | 328.4KB | IMG_8071.JPG
I thought it was 2 bearings in a common outer race, but it's 1 bearing in a custom machined cup kind of thing.
IMG_8072.JPG
.JPG | 277.4KB | IMG_8072.JPG
IMG_8073.JPG
.JPG | 358.8KB | IMG_8073.JPG
IMG_8074.JPG
.JPG | 344.2KB | IMG_8074.JPG
I tried a few things to get it out yesterday but none of them worked. I don't think the grease method will work on this one and anything else I can think of will fall into the "Destructive Method" category.
IMG_8075.JPG
.JPG | 367.5KB | IMG_8075.JPG
IMG_8076.JPG
.JPG | 347.5KB | IMG_8076.JPG
There is just not enough room up in there to pry or swing anything and there is no room for a slide hammer either. This is one of those jobs you need the engine out of the car for.

I've taken a good look at this bearing and sleeve. There is nothing wrong with it so I will just tap it back in and put everything back together.

Here is the video.

Once we get the flywheel and clutch back on we will be replacing the release bearing hydraulics and the clutch master cylinder. Then we can put the driveshaft back in.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jul. 11, 2021 11:03 am

It's been about a month since we had a chance to work on this project but we're back at it this weekend!

Last Saturday we got the rebuilt transaxle back. It turns out that the trade we did with the original transaxle was a good deal! The inside of this one had no ware on the synchros. That means this is a nice, low mileage Turbo trans. :yes:

On Friday we got the flywheel and clutch all bolted up, aligned and torqued down. This was pretty hard work while laying on the ground with jackstands in the way. Also there isn't much space up in there to swing a torque wrench.
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 263.3KB | IMG_0005.JPG
The next thing we did was replace the clutch slave cylinder/release bearing and the old master cylinder.

New clutch slave cylinder/release bearing.
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 321.6KB | IMG_0003.JPG
The master cylinder was a bit trickier than I thought it would be. Getting to the clevis pin and clip is a challenge. I figured out that the easiest way for me to do this was to pull the fuse box out to get access to the top of the peddles.
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 293KB | IMG_0006.JPG
It's pretty easy to remove the fuse box. Unscrew the 2 thumb screws, pull it out and set it to the side. No need to disconnect any wires, just be careful and be sure to disconnect the battery first.
IMG_0007.JPG
.JPG | 298.4KB | IMG_0007.JPG
Then we can get at that pesky clevis pin and clip.
IMG_0008.JPG
.JPG | 392.2KB | IMG_0008.JPG
Next will be the BIG fight to wrestle that big bellhousing back onto the engine.

Here is the video.

In other news, a couple months ago I got a nice Momo steering wheel. This wheel has a deep dish which moves the wheel toward the driver. This will make it a little easier to steer at low speeds with this manual steering rack.
IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 333KB | IMG_0004.JPG
Hopefully we can get this back on the road in the coming weeks. I'm a little disappointed that I am not driving it now. But I'm sure when we get it back together it will be better than it ever was. :D

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jul. 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Today we were successful in our fight to wrestle the bellhousing back in. First we had to connect the hydraulic lines, fill the reservoir and get some fluid into the system. Then we went through the long process of getting the bellhousing bolts into some tight spots and torquing them down.
IMG_0007 (2).JPG
.JPG | 336.2KB | IMG_0007 (2).JPG
Then we jacked the enigine back up into the engine bay and bolted it in.
IMG_0009.JPG
.JPG | 328.3KB | IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0008 (2).JPG
.JPG | 342.3KB | IMG_0008 (2).JPG
This was definitely the hard way to get at the clutch and flywheel. Next time I think I will just pull the engine.

-Don

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. Jul. 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Great job Don! "what a huge PITA!" I think that any sane guy would agree. What a car you have at the end, though. Hope that the resurfaced flywheel, balanced pressure plate and spiffy transaxle make it all like buttah!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Boy that LS sure would look good in my Fiero..

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks Guys!

Sorry, I didn't get to work on it this weekend. Hopefully we can get something accomplished next weekend. :D

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 01, 2022 9:47 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 6:01 pm
Sorry, I didn't get to work on it this weekend. Hopefully we can get something accomplished next weekend.
Well that didn't happen now did it! :lol:

Yah, it was last July the last time we worked on this thing. Now it's May 1st of the next year! :o

I was distracted by shopping for, buying and then working on the Crown Victoria P71.
Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 343.8KB | IMG_0006.JPG
Once we finished that, my 1999 GMC truck rusted out, so then we hunted down a New Old Truck.
The Old Truck Dilemma, What To Buy?
IMG_000122.JPG
.JPG | 331KB | IMG_000122.JPG
So now we're back at the V-8 powered 944.
I was dreading the next job that had to happen. Since the driveshaft stuck in the pilot bearing when we pull the Torque Tube, we had to figure out a way to press the driveshaft back to it's proper position.
IMG_0001.JPG
.JPG | 288KB | IMG_0001.JPG
From the instructions that show us where the front of the driveshaft should be relative to the bellhousing front we calculated how far the driveshaft should stick out of the Torque Tube. 6.125"
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 287.8KB | IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 258.2KB | IMG_0004.JPG
This meant that we had to press the driveshaft forward 2".
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 297.4KB | IMG_0005.JPG
To do this we had to flip the torque tube upside down to clear the hooks on the Torsion bar tube. Then do the pressing. We used a 4x4, some all-thread, nuts and washers to do the pressing.

Then we wrestled the torque tube back over insuring we didn't jam the shift rod into some un-usable position. This is all pretty dern difficult to do while laying under a car on jackstands! :x
It's all in there now.
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 336.3KB | IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
.JPG | 340.5KB | IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
.JPG | 296.9KB | IMG_0008.JPG
Next thing to do is install everything that we had to take apart when we dropped the engine down to get at the bellhousing bolts.

After that there are a few items that need repair.
1) Injector O-rings.
2) Trans mount.
3) Alternator mount. For some reason the bolts loosened up.
4) Odometer drive gear. Required for inspection. It broke after we started driving the car for a few months.

-Don

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Sun. May. 01, 2022 11:47 am

Good to hear your back on it.
I used to enjoy that type of project,
just not very productive anymore on projects.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 01, 2022 1:58 pm

LouNY wrote:
Sun. May. 01, 2022 11:47 am
Good to hear your back on it.
I used to enjoy that type of project,
just not very productive anymore on projects.
Yah, me too. I'm only good at the easy projects these days. :oops:

-Don

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. May. 01, 2022 5:41 pm

I need another Ford Mustang. I am sending you a large bag of iron filings... can you give me a completion date

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Tue. May. 03, 2022 7:09 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sun. May. 01, 2022 5:41 pm
I need another Ford Mustang. I am sending you a large bag of iron filings... can you give me a completion date
OK, if I throw them in the Axeman, it should take 2.75 years for it to start spitting out Mustang parts. After the Crown Victoria eats most of the Mustang parts I'll need more filings. :D

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. May. 06, 2022 1:46 pm

Sorry guys, I totally forgot to post the video from last week! :roll:

Action!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”