New Ford 150 ELECTRIC Future

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Ready for the new 150 with electric powertrain......

Its about time to get to the future and abandon obsolete ICE ...

https://www.techspot.com/news/78351-ford-planning ... focus.html

Leaves the ICE vehicles in the past.....Stay ahead or fall with legacy auto makers..

https://www.teslarati.com/ford-f-150-electric-tes ... ck-rivian/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1& ... ectri+f150

BigBarney

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 11:34 am

A compact electric truck like a Colorado would be a winner. Even a fullsized silverado. I dont care if it only 20 miles AER. Pickups are the gas guzzlers of the country so start there. Very little accomplished by making a 40 MPG car electric,do it with a 15MPG truck ,save a lot more fuel.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Now I know why Ford stock is half what it was 5 years ago. Just about a straight line down - the perfect short. Watching a company commit suicide is sad, The good news is wait about 3 years and pick up a Focus for half price.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:33 am

By going to aluminum they saved enough weight to compensate for having to add a generator for those times you are doing jumps off of sand dunes in the desert and your battery fails....ooopps. Or get the boat down a steep landing and can't get back out....ooopppps. Or trying to get from Machias, ME to Freddy's in Orrington in -35 weather and get stuck in a snow bank in Blacks Woods, on Catherine's Hill with night coming on......double ooopppps!

Kevin

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 9:55 am

My guess is they will have both electric motors and a gas engine like the GM volt. The upside to this is you can easily add 200 HP or more to any small engines output by adding one or 2 small electric motors , make a 4cy truck 400 to 500 HP. The whole thing dont make sense at $2.25 a gallon for gas though. Gas would have to go north of $4 for it to pay off . Could be awhile.

KLook

Post by KLook » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:44 pm

If the Volt was so awesome, and I test drove one, it would not be out of production....period. If that is the performance that an F-150 will have, forget about it. I didn't like the small V-8 one I had in 2007. Beautiful truck with no guts. Electric might have some guts if they use it right but range is just not possible with towing or working. Perfect for all the damned soccer moms and office workers etc. that have driven truck prices thru the roof to go to the dump on Sat. and the park on Sun.

Kevin

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Hey Ford let me know how that works out for ya....I'll still be driving my '96 F250 HD thank you.
IMG_2752.JPG
.JPG | 1.2MB | IMG_2752.JPG

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 11:28 am

KLook wrote:
Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:44 pm
I didn't like the small V-8 one I had in 2007.
Perfect for all the damned soccer moms and office workers etc. that have driven truck prices thru the roof to go to the dump on Sat. and the park on Sun.

Kevin
Volt out of production.
GM most likely cancelled the volt cuz they lose money on every sale.
All the new trucks currently have impressive HP these days. The new GM V-6 silverado has right around 300 HP where my 93 same size engine has just 160. The 8s have 350 to 425HP where my 95 K2500 Tk has just 200HP with a 5.7 350 engine. As far as high prices for new trucks,yes they are way overpriced ,but probably has more to do with higher tariffs on imported trucks letting all the domestically produced truck makers get big markups on em. Im in the market for a new truck right now but i wont pay 45k for a truck that will sell for 30k or less a year later. Ill buy that same truck for 30k a year or so old old with less than 10k miles on it. I want a small 8 as 350HP is plenty as i dont tow anything. I dont expect gas prices to jump anytime soon due to all the fracking.

KLook

Post by KLook » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 11:42 pm

You missed the point.....the Volt was anemic at best on the road. It was a novelty to drive one but we went with another VW that gets up and goes. I have 395HP in my Ram, it is the best and most powerful motor I have ever had in a truck. Well, 1/2 tons are really glorified cars.....But the electric system had better be more robust then a Volt in the F150 or it will have to be given away.

Kevin

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 6:04 am

Due to falling sales, which means falling profits and revenue, GM's Cadillac division is slowly shrinking toward oblivion, so GM has come up with a plan to rescue it. Their plan is to convert Cadillac into GM's electric vehicle division, whereby every car or truck sold by Cadillac will lose money instead of make money. Seems like a reasonable economic recovery plan to me.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 7:02 am

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 6:04 am
Due to falling sales, which means falling profits and revenue, GM's Cadillac division is slowly shrinking toward oblivion, so GM has come up with a plan to rescue it. Their plan is to convert Cadillac into GM's electric vehicle division, whereby every car or truck sold by Cadillac will lose money instead of make money. Seems like a reasonable economic recovery plan to me.
I hope then that they can come up with something better than the STS that my Mother-in-law drives around in. I have had the untimely misfortune of having to drive that pile of junk several times and I’m here to tell you I’m not impressed. My Peterbilt rides better than that at 73,000 gross with less rattles in the door after twice as many miles. The dash is so cheap that if you hit a bridge too fast I think it would be in your lap. It handles and steers like the Titanic and the seats are as hard as a park bench. Everything about it reminds me of “cheap”.

Definitely not your Fathers Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac. Put the brand out of is misery, it has run its course. Pontiac was allowed to die gracefully anyway. Or kill it for sure with the electric... that will really make that bucket of bolts more appealing.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 8:39 am

I apologize.

I think I went off on a pretty intense rant about that Cadillac on here a few years ago. Sorry for the repeat.

But I really do not like that car.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 11:23 am

KLook wrote:
Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 11:42 pm
You missed the point.....the Volt was anemic at best on the road. It was a novelty to drive one but we went with another VW that gets up and goes.

Kevin
Thats interesting ,most people reviewing the volt comment on its peppy acceleration,possible because they are comparing it to the prius they traded in. The 2016 model did shave 2 seconds off the 0 to 60 time. From 9 seconds to 7.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 11:56 am

Yep Caddy is a total POS. So GM and Ford are toast. EV attempts will finish the deal. Reminds me of Lemmings ...

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Looking for a new (or almost new)truck. Dont want anything foreign ,toyota cured me of those. So its either GM or Ford or Dodge. Ill look at ford but iv had a few of their trucks years ago and never had any luck with em,but i know the are millions of happy F-150 owners out there so id still consider one.
A little biased on Silverados as i have a 93 C1500 and a 95 K2500 which has been incredibly dependable, reliable and trouble free for the last 20 yrs. Also have a 2003 Dodge family hauler thats been reliable but not quite an american company anymore. Im fairly sure all 3 brands make good trucks today as they are all in competition with each other. So probably depend on the test drive and the deal.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”