Winter tires

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:53 am

Yikes, as it freezes down I have found out that my Michelin tires (summer boy racers) on my Mustang have turned from rubber into plastic. I have 4 new wheels from CJ Pony Parts and am trying to find some Blizzak LM 32s. However perhaps I can deal with year round tires (M+S) like Firestone ovals or a cheaper off brand . If I am going to get on with my mid life crisis, I can't lay the car up for 5 months. Thoughts.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 5:57 am

If you already bought extra wheels, I would put dedicated snow tires on them.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:02 am

Just put a new set of Cooper Discoverers on my plow truck. Got them in a day from Simple Tire online, saved about $250. They are sipped so the traction on ice is surprising.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:10 am

Hancook RW-11 on my Traverse, wife's Volvo. Awesome and quiet. Handle well on dry also.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:27 am

Just put 2 General Grabbers on back of road truck--10 ply--lil noisy but lots of meat on them. Best Used Tires.com---they've got new also--good prices--free shipping

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 8:35 am

CN,
I agree with Rob- 4 snows, but, add 'studs'. Also, have it sprayed with 'fluid film' on the underside, to slow down the body 'rot'.
We have had a '88 GT conv. Mustang forever. This is not a good Winter driver. It's a 'rocket' with a steering wheel. We do Winter storage.
Simon-enjoy the 'mid-life crisis', it's fun!!!!
Cheers

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 9:40 am

Just put 4 new all season General altimax tires on the Buick, mounted and balanced for about $20 more compared to online price so it wasn't even worth dealing with them online. Never used snow tires on my car but then again they do pretty good job on the roads around here.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 9:40 am
Just put 4 new all season General altimax tires on the Buick, mounted and balanced for about $20 more compared to online price so it wasn't even worth dealing with them online.
Once shipping and mounting/balancing are figured in, I haven't found online (Tire Rack) to be much cheaper than local; and one time they screwed up the balancing so bad the car was almost undrivable. (They did make good, no hassle, on what it cost me for rebalancing.) The one advantage they have is readily-available steel wheels for snow tires, which I have trouble finding locally.

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 9:40 am
Just put 4 new all season General altimax tires on the Buick, mounted and balanced for about $20 more compared to online price so it wasn't even worth dealing with them online. Never used snow tires on my car but then again they do pretty good job on the roads around here.
I'll bet you never go back to all seasons for winter again if you get any snow to speak of. Night and day difference when you just point and go that way when you tell it to.

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:36 pm

rberq wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Once shipping and mounting/balancing are figured in, I haven't found online (Tire Rack) to be much cheaper than local; and one time they screwed up the balancing so bad the car was almost undrivable. (They did make good, no hassle, on what it cost me for rebalancing.) The one advantage they have is readily-available steel wheels for snow tires, which I have trouble finding locally.
My local tire guy is either right at or just below online tire places after figuring in mt/bal. I can mt/bal my own at work and I still buy them from him. Usually by the time s/h is calculated it's a wash I've found.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:43 pm

cabinover wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:35 pm
I'll bet you never go back to all seasons for winter again if you get any snow to speak of.
The tires I got are all seasons, V rated. I was cruising about 110 with them. Felt like glass and quiet as can be but I'm also driving what amounts to an almost a new car as far as the suspension goes. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the wheel bearings and four lateral bars on the back. I've never had any trouble in the snow with all seasons/FWD even in a few inches.

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I didn't realize you guys don't get any snow. Here we don't even count a few inches as snow :lol:

I do think you'll like them though if it does snow. They just feel a lot more sure-footed.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:54 pm

cabinover wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:40 pm
I didn't realize you guys don't get any snow. Here we don't even count a few inches as snow :lol:
I do think you'll like them though if it does snow. They just feel a lot more sure-footed.
:lol: Right. I drove for years on all-seasons because the $$$ for snow tires was hard to come by. Then I started using snows and found what I had been missing. Amazing the difference it makes in any depth of the white stuff. Like burning coal vs. burning wood, I wouldn't want to go back.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 7:22 pm

cabinover wrote:
Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 6:40 pm
We get frequent snow storms 1 to 4 inches, a few up to 10 inches and maybe 1 or 2 with ten or more. It's mostly flat ground where I'm at and all main roads which are taken care of pretty well. I work from home so I don't really need to get anywhere.
I'm sure I would love them but hard to justify the expense... If i need four wheel drive I can drive/walk half a block and borrow one of my cousins vehicles.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 7:54 pm

I am a big fan of Cooper tires,been using them since 1982. They make great snow tires...BUT...

If i was able to afford a muscle car,new one at that, i would drive it when there is no white on the roads,maybe even only from May to Oct. to keep it salt free.... especially in New York state.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”