Winter tires

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 9:47 am

A little thread drift but I can't resist. Most Raptor drivers have VERY fragile egos. They're usually short fat guys that buy big trucks to make them feel big and tough. Or rich old men trying to show how "country" they are. So from that point of view the truck is a natural for me but read this review by C&D.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f- ... aintenance

So let us read what this review does not say. The GDI system is already getting carboned up and is starting to kill MPG and performance and by now is unfixable and soon 6mpg will be a good memory. GDI+turbo + the wrong oil + even the wrong gas is setting the owner up for a head off service. Perhaps a catch can will solve it and perhaps not. Very expensive to buy, very expensive to run, horrible depreciation and a gas hog. A complete disaster. TINRFD. Look at the Mustang 2018 V8 design here --- just brilliant. I love Coyotes.

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 6:21 pm

I'll throw my vote in for the Firestone Winterforce Snow tire. Been running it on everything I own. Wifes 2015 Explorer, we ran All season the first year because they were new. 2nd year with to Winterforce and the thing is UNSTOPPABLE in the snow. I'd rather spend the money on the tires and have the wife make it home with out issue then have her ditch it or get into an accident. No so much the cost of the accident that is what insurance is for. I'm more concerned with the wife being safe and CONFIDENT on the road while driving in the snow.

Also been running them on a 2WD S-10 for the last 6 winters and have only not made it up my hill 2 times in winter. Now mind you I live in Western NY at the South end of the Finger Lakes at the highest point in Livingston county. We get snow.

As for rusting and salt. I found that the last two winters heating the Garage for the winter and parking my S10 in there ATE the poor truck away. There is nothing left and it is headed down the road. Runs like a top but I'm starting to be able to see the ground while sitting in the truck.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I have a nice set of 225/50/18 Cooper snow tires I am trying to sell. What size does the mustang take?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 7:15 pm

255/40 r19 front

275/40 r19 rear.

Sorry, a set of melted Coopers does not fit the bill.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Not sure what you are implying, but I would not try to sell you set of tires with anything wrong with them. They had an easy winter on my Subaru Legacy, not a summer at the race track.

Anyway - let us know what you end up putting on it. As for the rust and salt, I would hate to even show you what my Expedition looks like after going to a few hockey tournaments in January. It turns white and get sand in every crevice. I spray the rockers, electrical connections, brake lines, etc, with Krown in the fall, and FLOOD everything with water in the spring to get the salt and sand out. Not much else you can do without changing the zip code.

GDI issues? I think a little maintenance and proper operation goes a long way, but the new engines with DI and Port injection are a nice upgrade.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 7:36 pm

I will 2x the vote for the Firestone Winterforce, I'm on the second set for my wifes Highlander.
I mounted them on 17" steel wheels and all 4 are studded, excellent traction and wear like iron considering their a winter tire.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Not sure what you are implying, but I would not try to sell you set of tires with anything wrong with them. They had an easy winter on my Subaru Legacy, not a summer at the race track.
Your integrity was never in doubt. I will be the first to acknowledge that your challenges are more severe than mine. With me it's down to luck, sometimes winters are really not so bad and I have my fingers crossed. Winter SUV photos in Jan are eagerly awaited.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 1:07 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:10 pm
Winter SUV photos in Jan are eagerly awaited.
It is not even Christmas yet and I already have a nice base coat of salt and sand. By January it will be white.

Attachments

IMG_20181207_125051094.jpg
.JPG | 619.3KB | IMG_20181207_125051094.jpg

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 1:07 pm
It is not even Christmas yet and I already have a nice base coat of salt and sand. By January it will be white.
Best not to think about all those little salt termites nibbling away at the underpinnings. :hangover:

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 5:32 pm

My vehicles go thru the automated brush type car wash with the undercarriage wash at least weekly,
My RAM 1500 was waxolyed and my wifes Equinox was under coated.
I also run studded snow tires, Nokian Hakkapelittia LT's and 9's.
My 2002 Dodge Dakota made 13 years with minimal rust and frequent car washes.
All these in NY winters and salt slush.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”