Really BIG TRUCKS

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Mar. 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Perfect use for a truck built for heavy hauling in an set route , 310 ton loads ,up 1500 feet , at 20 mph.

Old diesel trucks burn 100 gallons per hour .

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/12/swedish-copp ... ectricity/

"Each truck will be capable of handling up to 4.75 megawatts of power. With that much energy on tap, they can actually move twice as fast as the diesel electric trucks in use today, which struggle to reach 10 miles per hour on the uphill climb from the bottom. Faster speeds could lead to significantly higher production from the mine, leading to more revenue for the operators."

BigBarney

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Mar. 12, 2018 10:02 pm

How many misleading threads is just 1 member allowed to post ?????????????

BB, you lied again... by picking out of the article what you want..

Quote as best i can remember.... "Initially the trucks will haul no-ore bearing rocks to a 200' high hill 1/2 mile away.... IF the system proves reliable & cost effective..... in the future the electric wires could be installed down to the bottom of the pit."

The article also states that if the electric system failed any time in the descent or ascending the road to the pit,the entire mining operation would have to shut down.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 6:25 am

How many of them are you gonna respond to windy? A fire can’t burn if you don’t fuel it.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 6:46 am

I find BB hilarious with a slight sprinkling of good information. If I lived near Erie and was stupid enough to buy a battery car with no AWD that you can't even buy Blizzaks for then I would need to justify my choices. Resistance heating that will freeze his a ss off and suck many mile off it's range (at least the ioniq has a heat pump) then he just becomes a comedy figure. Hey, I bought 5 Jags in my youth and you can't get more stupid than that, so I forgive him.

So BB and David... let me review. The planets atmosphere contains 0.04% of CO2 and the general thinking is that 3% of that is man made. You are getting your panties twisted over that one and you think that slight reductions will change the world. ........... hahahahahahahahhahahahaa. Up next, cars that have sails. If I lived on Cape Cod perhaps. :D

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Here's some new axles for the trucks and buses..

"More recently, they’ve put their vast engineering and manufacturing know-how into developing electric solutions, and the results have been exceptional. Case in point: Proterra’s Catalyst E2 Max e-bus – the world record-holder for travelling the farthest on a single charge, over 1,100 miles – is powered by an AxleTech electric drivetrain."

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/axletech-is-turni ... -into-evs/

BigBarney

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Mar. 16, 2018 5:16 am

City busses is probably going to be the first large scale application of large electric vehicles. It makes the most sense with stop and go driving and the distances are not far. A driver could probably work his entire shift without a charge. The other big factor is it has zero risk. It is all taxpayer money. :D

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 12:22 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 11:45 pm
Here's some new axles for the trucks and buses..

"More recently, they’ve put their vast engineering and manufacturing know-how into developing electric solutions, and the results have been exceptional. Case in point: Proterra’s Catalyst E2 Max e-bus – the world record-holder for travelling the farthest on a single charge, over 1,100 miles – is powered by an AxleTech electric drivetrain."

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/axletech-is-turni ... -into-evs/

BigBarney
Oh *censored*, that didn't age well.
It’s been nearly a year and a half since a passenger set foot inside one of SEPTA’s Proterra buses, which cost nearly a million dollars apiece when they rolled out in 2019. Most are now gathering dust in a South Philly bus depot, riven by cracked chassis and other defects.
https://whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery ... c-transit/

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 5:29 pm

More wasted taxpayer money. Just money laundering for the Dems....

Kevin

johnjoseph
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 7:54 pm

It's not just Dems...its all political parties. Ethanol was a big deal...corn farmers have made out pretty good with taxpayer funds in republican dominated states. If a senator can gain votes and get kickbacks ...they will, irregardless of a party. It happens everyday. There isn't a politician thats a straight shooter.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 3:53 am

gaw wrote:
Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 12:22 pm
Oh *censored*, that didn't age well.
So much for that "vast engineering and manufacturing know-how". Maybe they were transplanted Yugo engineers.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 4:09 am

johnjoseph wrote:
Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 7:54 pm
Ethanol was a big deal...corn farmers have made out pretty good with taxpayer funds in republican dominated states.
I don't believe there was any specific subsidies for the framers other that what they may already be eligible for. The subsidies went to producers and refiners. That's gone but the increased cost is simply added into the cost of gasoline.

What people often miss is the subsidies are often used to mask the cost. If they had implemented the ethanol mandate without the subsidies the public is going to take notice when their gasoline suddenly jumps 50 cents a gallon. You remove or slowly ease out of the subsidy down the road so their isn't sticker shock. The mandate remains in place guaranteeing a market for the product and the full cost is now passed onto the consumer.

One of the more humorous claims is how renewables are making major inroads into the power market. No *censored*, it's the law. LOL

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 6:13 am

It was in the farm bills years ago ....here's what I was speaking of...maybe I've misunderstood it.

"The government allocates billions of dollars every year towards subsidizing corn production, and the two largest uses of corn are livestock feed and ethanol production. Supplying the livestock industry with cheap feed ultimately leads to an American diet that is heavily based on the consumption of meat, which is far more energy intensive and resource dependent than its alternative. Meat based diets also have been found to lead to health problems such as obesity within the United States. Corn subsidies also increase the production of ethanol, a fuel source that may be no better than fossil fuels due to the required energy inputs and the environmental damage caused by its production."

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2012/ph240/schneider1/

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 8:05 am

The subsidies going to the ethanol industry, if that industry was not there the money would just be going to the farmers. Its pretty much one or the other so the govt money is gone either way. Im not bragging up ethanol, just talking subsidies.

ive said this in different ways before, but I bet about 95% of govts around the world would be glad to give money to people to produce more food then their country could eat. Wouldnt every country like to have a surplus of food? I mostly think the govt doesnt care about that wasted tax money just so we can keep on over producing food. It would come in handy sometime when we have a few bad years of crop production. And it does create cheaper food in grocery stores although the middle man takes more than their fair share.

China has bought a crapload of crops this year and that has raised crop prices. They are likely stockpiling for bad times but I bet they wished they could produce food in their country like we can. Its not a bad thing that we can overproduce crops and be glad that we can. Govt funding is wasted money but if your gonna waste it give it towards food. Farmers spend money in this country so some of it gets given back too, unlike much of the other forms of subsidies.

I do think giving subsidies to the big boys, the corps, is a complete waste though. They only see the bottom line and if underproducing makes them money that is what they will do.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 7:20 pm

Large conglomerates get the subsidies and I'm thinking they have their hand in the honey jar...or in the oil barrel. I despise ETHANOL as much as an electric vehicle. Many here despise both, but complain about subsidies to electric alternatives and thats fine...farm subsidies are equally disturbing in my opinion. We now have ETHANOL free gas in high grade only in my neck of the woods and although it costs more..I actually recoup it in service charges on all of my 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Not sure if I could say the same w/ EV.

Corn Subsidies in the United States totaled $116.6 billion from 1995-2020‡ETHANOL MARKET IS DISTURBING TO AMERICAN FARMERS. AND NOW THERE’S COVID-19.

https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&pr ... =cornhttps://

ROUGHLY 40 PERCENT OF THE U.S. CORN CROP IS REFINED INTO ETHANOL.

The federal government spends more than $20 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses. About 39 percent of the nation's 2.1 million farms receive direct subsidies, with the lion's share of the handouts going to the largest producers of corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice.

“What ethanol did was revitalize agriculture,” says Dittrich, past president of the American Corn Growers Association, who farms 4,700 acres of corn and soybeans with his brother in nearby Tilden. “I contend if we would not have gone down the road of ethanol, then agriculture would have been without a new outlet for production that was starting to ramp up.”

www.agriculture.com/news/business/ethanol-market- ... s-covid-19
Last edited by johnjoseph on Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 7:39 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 7:20 pm
Corn Subsidies in the United States totaled $116.6 billion from 1995-2020‡ETHANOL MARKET IS DISTURBING TO AMERICAN FARMERS. AND NOW THERE’S COVID-19.

ROUGHLY 40 PERCENT OF THE U.S. CORN CROP IS REFINED INTO ETHANOL.

The federal government spends more than $20 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses. About 39 percent of the nation's 2.1 million farms receive direct subsidies, with the lion's share of the handouts going to the largest producers of corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice.

https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&pr ... =cornhttps://

www.agriculture.com/news/business/ethanol-market- ... s-covid-19
Good links!

On the top link you can search for friends, neighbors, or enemies to see how much money they have received thru the years in subsides(i didnt test it but have searched on websites before). A few years ago I searched a lot of names and found exactly one farmer I knew who hadnt ever asked for any, but many are just a few hundred dollars. But search for the big farmers and many are over a million over the years. Then lookup corporate farms. They get a lot of it.

Im unsure how ethanol will handle the high priced corn that is going on now. But I guess more subsidies.... I cant remember the details but on the farm show I listen too, ethanol is partnering somehow with other renewables. Perhaps BBarney will see this and enlighten us as to how.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”