$2.31 (regular) in Cortland last week & today. Filled truck & 2 5 gal. pails

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 3:13 am

and with it HO will rise just as we are going to fill our tanks for winter. These are such limited solutions as I go through a tank of gas every few days. I could ride a horse into town, that is less practical than in Cortland. Horse hitching posts were removed from Shoprite last year.

What I desperately need is a way to replace HO that at least would be a longer term solution. Hmmm, let me think.

That fuel would need to be something I could burn that would be clean and cheap and a third of the cost (to me) of HO. Of course, I would need to have the stoves in place so there would be no capital costs. I don't want to have to those run pipes containing that dihydrogen oxide. That would be just plain costly and expensive to maintain.

In my perfect world those stoves would be beautiful antiques that are just appreciating in value daily. ..... when I think hard late at night I get a headache. Can someone help me out here? I need ideas and quickly. :D

In the next room where we are working out how to shoot ourselves in the foot .... In the WH we are picking a fight with VZ. :? We are sanctioning them .. haaaa. If they cut us off we are screwed. Many refineries down there apparently are uniquely set up for that sour crude and it they sanction us then about 500,000 refinery workers can go home as we beg SA for more expensive stuff to replace it. That will put the price through the roof. Here is another idea .. let us leave them the phk alone, it's not our problem.

http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/White-House-Approves-Fresh-Sanctions-On-Venezuela.html

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Gulf-Coast-refiners-fear-loss-of-Venezuelan-oil-11735499.php

It looks like we are ready to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

:idea: :idea: I know, I will post this on a coal board and get try to get solutions ... WAM here ...... Time to grab my morning corn flakes and go sit on an 800 million btu pile of energy and think hard.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 4:45 am

coalnewbie wrote: :idea: :idea: I know, I will post this on a coal board and get try to get solutions ... WAM here ...... Time to grab my morning corn flakes and go sit on an 800 million btu pile of energy and think hard.
Never misunderestimate the power of this coal board to influence world affairs. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 5:31 am

Damn Simon. I'm lost with your need for alternative heating options. I gotta think on that for a while!! :annoyed: How come these smilies say one thing & post another???

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 7:28 am

If not for the insanely greed of those that profit there should simply be a shortage for a limited time. The waters will go down & things will get back to somewhat normal perhaps to slow the amount we export would be of some help. Gas seems to be one of the few things that goes up when we don't use enough, when they say there won't be the same amount it goes up even more but it's one of the few things that we become dependent on so that's the way they get away with it.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 7:39 am

samhill wrote:If not for the insanely greed of those that profit there should simply be a shortage for a limited time. The waters will go down & things will get back to somewhat normal perhaps to slow the amount we export would be of some help. Gas seems to be one of the few things that goes up when we don't use enough, when they say there won't be the same amount it goes up even more but it's one of the few things that we become dependent on so that's the way they get away with it.
You do realize the storm has at least 3 major refineries shut down?

samhill

Post by samhill » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 8:13 am

CS, yes I do, I also realize that instead of building refineries say in stupid wide open spaces close to the source & shutting down other refineries to convert them for other exports we as a nation keep on doing the same things. Mother Nature will keep repeating & getting worse, the refineries were put close to the source to begin with & also happen to be close to the shipping lanes, much of what gets refined is imported crude that is then exported & the refined gas gets stored both on & off site with most of ours being distributed via pipelines many of which could be used for distribution from other inland refineries instead of new pipelines to the few remaining major refineries.
Once again if I produce gizmo's & then limit for some reason it doesn't cost me more to sell my stock off while working to fix my production problem. There may be a temporary shortage of gizmo's but except for greed no huge price increase.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 8:21 am

Damn CS, how do you teach a communist the laws of supply and demand?

samhill

Post by samhill » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 9:15 am

There's just no help for some of us that want to be treated the same as we treat others CNB. Kind of like the hotel where my S-in L stayed last night while waiting closer to the airport & the jitney driver & airline that she flew to get back out of Houston. They all charged the same rate as before all this happened!

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 5:45 am

Sam, and yet one more time you have shown you do not have a clue how capital markets work. Happily we can agree on one thing... I am glad your family is safe. I wish all well that are involved with this disaster.

samhill

Post by samhill » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 7:58 am

I understand much more, capitalism or at least the mutated version we have works quite well for the gouger but not so well for the ones forced to pay inflated prices. Businesses used to pay for their costs of doing business, sure most was passed on but major rebuilds or improvements were part of doing business. Now I would bet that big oil will be among the first in line seeking Govt. Aide for losses to both income & equipment even after recouping losses even before they happen, I used to profit when Capital jobs came along & we would get all the OT we wanted but a downturn was just that & part of being an employee! Pa. local gas hasn't gone up yet but it has in Ohio which is closer for me & still cheaper than Pa..

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 8:34 am

Where do you come up with all this negative crap? You stated you used to profit?? Well guess what, while you were profiting a good number of people weren't. Apparently you didn't pay much attention to that side of the coin back when. With your VA benefits & Soc. Sec. plus if you've got any kind of retirement--you must be doin just fine. Have you become the spokes person for the "down-trodden" As far as oil co's seeking govt. help, it's just the way of things.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 9:05 am

I don't know how this may influence prices in the face of refineries being down, but crude oil actually dropped a bunch in price yesterday.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Aug. 29, 2017 9:15 am

they will find a way to screw us !! really come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”