Ford 4.0 V6 SOHC Repair

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 9:28 pm

This is what I have been working on for the past....well it's been too long. I think it was cold out when I started this little project.
My 1998 Explorer (Exploder). These engines have complicated timing systems, basically the pushrod Cologne V6 was modified to make it a single overhead cam engine. It boosted the horsepower and torque considerably. It has 4 (yes 4) timing chains. The camshaft was replaced with a "jackshaft". It has one timing chain running the jackshaft. Off the front of the jackshaft is a chain that runs the left overhead cam. Off the back of the jackshaft is another chain that runs the right overhead cam. On 4WD trucks like mine there also is a balance shaft that runs on yet another chain off the crankshaft. All of these chains have plastic guides and tensioners. The two chains that run the cams also have tensioners that run on oil pressure. Over time the plastic guides fall apart and the chains start banging around and make a lot of noise. At 190,000 miles this happened to mine. The engine does not burn oil and ran well before this happened. I decided to repair it. :o This is an interference engine, so not repairing it would have eventually been the end of the road.

So far I have bought the complete timing chain kit from Cloye's, new water pump, new starter, new spark plugs, all the required gaskets, 3 torque to yield bolts, the required timing chain repair special tool kit to keep everything timed properly (already sold it on eBay to the next victim), new trans front seal, new trans pan gasket and filter, several additions to my tool collection that I didn't have (Torx sockets, external Torx sockets, some other stuff I can't recall), and I have spent countless hours on this job and bitched endlessly to Smitty and Vig II.

It's still not done, engine is back in but I'm still trying to get the trans and engine to go back together. Seems the trans moved back away from where it used to be during this project. I have the truck up on ramps and jacks, next task is to pull the driveshaft and try to reunite the engine and trans.
IMG_6647.JPG
.JPG | 155.9KB | IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG
.JPG | 202.6KB | IMG_6678.JPG
IMG_6681.JPG
.JPG | 121KB | IMG_6681.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
.JPG | 239.3KB | IMG_6730.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 9.13.21 PM.png
.PNG | 1.5MB | Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 9.13.21 PM.png
IMG_6834.JPG
.JPG | 179KB | IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6954.JPG
.JPG | 185.6KB | IMG_6954.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 9:38 pm

You have come far. Stick with it.

Timing chains seem to be the weak leak in many engines, and the manufactures don't seem to be doing much about it. If the timing chains in my Subaru 3.6 need to be replaced I will probably cry.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Isn't it fun when you can....but you really shouldn't have??? I am trying to wean myself off such things...I have shown myself that I can do many things.....but should I??? It is a hard addiction to break....

Kevin

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks guys!

There wasn't much to be decided about doing this repair, I've had the truck for almost 4 years, I really like it, plus I have done a lot of other repairs on it as well.

I just hope it actually runs when I'm done.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 10:17 pm

My God.... After reading Your Opener,I've declared You a Saint !

As Psychotic as it may sound,You may want to check Your mounts.... Something doesn't add up as to where You can't get the Trans to go and mate with thr motor. Nuttier yet,if room and angle permits,yank the Trans and mate it with the Motor outside the Truck,after checking for what caused the shift backward. You know the drill...It happened for a reason,and it will only Haunt You down the road....

Anywhoo,just what the Hell do I know anyway ? However,just a little outside 'Da Box Thinkin' may smash this Puppy right out of the Park and put You back where You belong-Back on 'Da Road !

Good Luck and Good Hunting !

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Is this one of many engines that has intake manifold gasket issues? Im just mentioning that because it would be easier to do it now. You mentioned gaskets but not that one.

Im more into much older stuff but Im with Hambden. I'd pull the tranny and mount them together. Something is screwy.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Jul. 11, 2017 11:32 pm

warminmn wrote:Is this one of many engines that has intake manifold gasket issues? Im just mentioning that because it would be easier to do it now. You mentioned gaskets but not that one.

Im more into much older stuff but Im with Hambden. I'd pull the tranny and mount them together. Something is screwy.
I'd forgotten that my 97 did have this issue. I paid to have it repaired. Sometime later, it became a recall issue so they returned my repair payment.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jul. 12, 2017 9:15 am

The plastic intake is 2 pieces, upper and lower. I didn't pull the lower half. Had to remove the upper half to do the repairs, that has a new gasket.

Motor mounts seem good, the trans mount looks ok as well. With 4WD there is a slip joint in the rear driveshaft just behind the front u joint. I think it allowed the trans and transfer case to slide back just a little bit and I can't move it forward as a unit. The front of the truck has been up on stands for a long time now. By removing the driveshaft the trans/transfer case will be free to move around on the trans jack. I have the rear crossmember removed. I don't think it's possible to made the trans and engine outside of this vehicle and then install them as long as the body is still on the frame. :o

I'm sure Dave and Smitty will fill in anything I have left out, they got a lot of rants via email from me...LOL

Cloye's had a video on YouTube showing the exact procedure to change all the parts. I found lots of broken pieces in the bottom of the engine and the oil pump intake was replaced since it was packed full of little bits of the plastic guides.
IMG_6987.JPG
.JPG | 125KB | IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6755.JPG

Timing gear tool kit

.JPG | 170KB | IMG_6755.JPG
IMG_6748.JPG

Old parts

.JPG | 167.1KB | IMG_6748.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG

Left side with broken guides

.JPG | 138KB | IMG_6662.JPG

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jul. 12, 2017 10:18 am

What a nightmare. My brother has a '98 Exploder with the 4.0 pushrod engine, 285 K on the clock and he has never touched the engine. Tranny once and replaced the front axle though.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jul. 12, 2017 10:27 am

The pushrod engines are kind of rare in the Exploders after 1997. They are very durable.

I actually wanted one with the 302 V8 in it, but I bought this one because of the overall condition. The engine is clean inside, looks like oil was changed regularly most of it's life.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jul. 12, 2017 10:34 am

This is the top of the right bank chain. The bolt against the chain actually is supposed to go through the chain guide, the whole assembly is called a "cassette". The guide disintegrated and fell into the passageway for the chain. The lower gear bolt that screws into the jackshaft is accessed through an opening in the block. It is behind the flywheel, obviously this can't be done without removing the engine. Jackshaft also runs the oil pump. No mechanical distributor, it's a coil pack.
IMG_6659.JPG
.JPG | 118.9KB | IMG_6659.JPG
IMG_6660.JPG
.JPG | 100.2KB | IMG_6660.JPG
IMG_6684.JPG
.JPG | 169.8KB | IMG_6684.JPG

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”