OK, What Does This Silly Thing Do?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. May. 18, 2017 6:48 pm

cabinover wrote: Just read what was written lol. International used to make a great high heat brake grease for pins like that, don't know if it's still available. I normally clean the pins up, and knock the crusty rust off the brake pad lands and then apply a light coat of wheel bearing grease to all of them. A cut off copper fitting wire brush in a drill does a great job on the pin holes and flush with brakecleen, then grease. Seems to hold up pretty well.
These pins haven't moved in the six years I've owned the truck. They were in fact, part of the bracket. When I bought the truck, it was obvious it had all new brakes. The outer pads were still brand new, six years later. Everything is fresh now and the pedal is a changed animal. Very little movement and almost no effort. Been running on half the brakes, all this time.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. May. 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Must be that time of the year, I heard my van's breaks making a louder than normal noise yesterday. Today they told me it's time to get parts for the weekend, pads and rotors. Good time to do the struts, ball joints, sway bar links, and rear shocks too. That should keep me busy Saturday....and probably half of Sunday :no1:

Glad your brakes do what they're supposed to now! I too won't know how to act when I step on the brake and the front end doesn't shake anymore.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”