1930 Model A Pickup

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 30, 2016 1:05 pm

20160930_115753.jpg
.JPG | 85.8KB | 20160930_115753.jpg
Was cruising home and caught sight of this gem, it appears to be perfect.

Attachments

20160930_115830.jpg
.JPG | 119.2KB | 20160930_115830.jpg
20160930_115853.jpg
.JPG | 115.8KB | 20160930_115853.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Sep. 30, 2016 3:14 pm

REAL PURTY CS!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Sep. 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Too bad you didn't buy it. ;)

Model A's are one of the few antique cars that all the parts are being made new for. And the parts cost much less expensive than parts for a newer car. Easy to work on, light weight, and good on gas.

And they are no longer a 45-50 mph vehicle. There's a guy in Western NYS that's been making two-speed overdrive conversion kits for them for many years now. With a rebuilt engine and higher compression pistons, they move right along steadily at highway speeds. Everytime the traffic lights turned green I had to really push it to keep up with a 31 Convertible Coupe on RT 20. :shock:

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Too bad you didn't buy it. ;)

Model A's are one of the few antique cars that all the parts are being made new for. And the parts cost much less expensive than parts for a newer car. Easy to work on, light weight, and good on gas.

And they are no longer a 45-50 mph vehicle. There's a guy in Western NYS that's been making two-speed overdrive conversion kits for them for many years now. With a rebuilt engine and higher compression pistons, they move right along steadily at highway speeds. Everytime the traffic lights turned green I had to really push it to keep up with a 31 Convertible Coupe on RT 20. :shock:

Paul
I would have if I had just robbed a bank! :lol:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Sep. 30, 2016 6:01 pm

if you think they are easy to work on you never did the brakes! :lol: other than that not bad, at least the things Ive done. Im not crazy about how they attached the rear end but its stood the test of time. My Dad rebuilt hundreds of Model A engines until he retired and owns a 2 door.

I have to comment on the highway speed thing.... If I want to drive 55-70 MPH I'll take my pickup or crown vic. These were meant to be driven about 45 MPH and they drive very nice at that speed and why be in a hurry with an old car anyway? Enjoy the ride.... nothing against hot-rods though! Thats just me. :)

i know, I know, everyones in a hurry. They used to do some crazy things even back in the 30's with them to get speed. I think about the only modern thing on my Dads is some type of electronic device to replace having to adjust the timing by hand as driving. He drives his a lot, its not a garage queen. They were great cars and really helped put America on the road, with the T's first.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Nice truck! A Model A was something I always wanted to have, but likely never will. A driver was pretty reasonably priced about 30 or 50 years a go. ( what wasn't?).

My Dad often talked of his first car, an "A". His brothers and sisters bought it for him as a high school grad gift in '41 or '42 for $25. He claimed that he could get 60 mph out of it. I don't know, but it may have been mildly warmed over, down hill. The mechanical brakes scared him badly, many times. Especially on the descent down a mountain. If I had one, it would be one than someone else had spent the money on a hydraulic brake conversion. Pinto/Mustang II brakes?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 7:53 am

What were they asking for it?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 8:26 am

waldo lemieux wrote:What were they asking for it?
I'm going by there today and will try and find out for you.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Asking $28,000 or BO. Just finish 100% restoration, all steel, no plastic. The thing is flawless, looks brand new.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Thu. Oct. 13, 2016 7:09 am

That's a nice truck! During WWII you couldn't get car parts but you could get tractor parts so my grandpa got himself a small boring bar and a South Bend 9" lathe, then put new Farmall "M" pistons in Model A cars. I often wondered how long a Model A would last with good oil and air filters and decent roads. Jerry

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Thu. Apr. 13, 2017 9:35 am

$28,000 is double what that trk is worth.anyone wanting an A would be wise to get one restored. he may have $28,000 invested in restorestion but will never get anywhere near that price. tom

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Thu. Apr. 13, 2017 10:50 am

Paul
Are parts for Model T's as available as those for the A's?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 13, 2017 1:07 pm

PJT wrote:

Paul
Are parts for Model T's as available as those for the A's?
Pretty much, yes. But ask yourself if you want a vehicle that will likely blow the engine if you try to do much driving over 40 mph. Model T engines aren't built to take higher RPM's need to get over 40 mph with their tall original rear axle ratios.

The Model A has a better, bigger engine that gives better power to weight ratio than the T. As such with a rebuilt motor, bored out and with higher compression pistons, is a good 50-55 MPH vehicle. And there are people who make parts and do mods that make a Model A into a 60-65 MPH cruiser. Combine an overdrive with high compression pistons and they really scamper !!!

Paul

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Thu. Apr. 13, 2017 2:36 pm

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Apr. 13, 2017 2:42 pm

The truck was a masterpiece, I believe he got the $28K.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”