2000 F250 SD W/ 7.3 and Tranny Leaking

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:12 pm

So I'm trying to plow this 28" of snow today. Really working the truck hard. Hard to push that much especially where the road crews have piled it up against my parking lot and the front of my shop. And most was still quite fluffy. So much so that pushing in to piles, a lot would fall behind the blade requiring considerable effort to back up.

Then noticed tranny fluid pouring out the torque converter cover. I suspect the front tranny seal. Google search says probably due to overheating the tranny and causing the seal to leak.

Question, will this require immediate replacement or just allowing it to cool down ?????

Rick

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:22 pm

while you were pushing,did your tranny cooler get blocked by the snow falling over the back of the plow?? I was out plowing 14 hrs yesterday and today and have all day tommorow on the skid loader.
my 86 f-250 had the leaking problem and I fixed it with a new truck :mad:

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Is the fluid smelling burnt??

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Mine did the same thing. As soon as the temp dropped so did the leak. Put bigger trans cooler on, it's helps a lot. The torque convertor gets too hot and warps and let's the fluid get by. The good aftermarket convertors are a little heavier they don't get bent out of shape.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:29 pm

If the leak goes away,drain the fluid & refill with Amsoil ATF,it is 1 awesome oil. :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:39 pm

Definetly sounds like it got too hot. Does your truck have a cooler in the radiator? Mine just has an external cooler in front of the radiator, and I could see how it could get blocked with snow. Yesterday I had to repair one of the cooler lines thanks to 15 years of salt.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:50 pm

That's a common trait with that year/ drivetrain.

The solution is let it cool down, and dump fresh fluid in. It'll happen again when worked, so keep a couple cases in the truck.

Every one of those trucks around here pukes. They're all so rusted that it's not worth rebuilding the tranny on any of them. It's just coming out the overflow/vent - not a seal.

Rick 386

Post by Rick 386 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Dennis,

I did not smell the oil. I was a little too pissed off at the time I saw it leaking. I was on the way home to plow out my own damn driveway !!!!! Too icy between the back of the house and the garage to use the backhoe.

Yes the front of the truck was covered and packed with snow. I noticed it in Spring City and just drove it back to the shop and pulled it inside to thaw out. Figured I would check it in the morning and then decide what to do.

Rob, I really don't remember if I have just the extra cooler or if it runs through the radiator. I do remember I ordered it with the trailer towing package because I knew I would use it for such. Will have to check for an external cooler. I did read somewhere about trying to get a 6.0 cooler for better performance.

Smitty, Yeah I know rust is getting to it. Just can't afford $50-60K on a new one.....Didn't know how serious it might be until I got home and started searching tranny leaks.

Hopefully, it did not do anything to the innards.

Rick

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:55 pm

My neighbor's truck puked about 10 times like that last year. Still running. ;)

My buddy's employer's yard truck has done this probably 100x or more. Last I heard it was still going too. Just fill it up afterwards, don;t push it when it starts slipping and it'll be fine.

Rick 386

Post by Rick 386 » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 12:24 pm

So as I posted in the coffee forum, I need to replace the exhaust manifolds and up pipes to the turbo on this trck.

Anyone have any recommendations ??? I see that Dorman makes some replacements that are fairly cheap but don't know about the quality of their Chinese brand. All in all the truck has ran fine and never lacked in the power department as far as pulling trailers. So I don't know if I need to upgrade to the performance style manifolds and complete exhaust system. Unless there is also a fuel economy benefit.

Rick

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 12:25 pm

I had Dorman manifolds put on my '99 F350. I think the Dorman manifolds are fine, but if I did it over again I would use Ford hardware and gaskets.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 10:47 pm

The Dorman uppipes require some dressing with a stone in the baby's butt (collector), but they really do make a significant difference.

You probably have the 7.3L cooler. Switch over to a 6.0 cooler (around $100)- ASAP if you're plowing. Major difference in cooling ability.

Since you have the F250, you likely don't have a dash trans gauge, but you can get the temp via OBDII port using something like TorquePro.

Throw another $150 and get a John Wood valve body. About an hour to swap it in (send your core back), and you change the fluid and filter while you're at it.

If you've been plowing with a stock setup, it's been abused. Not the end of the world, but you likely want to make these upgrades ASAP for cheap vs a new or rebuilt trans for $$$$

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”