Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 7:52 pm

Seeing all the diesel powered equipment in the tractor thread prompts this question. What is everyones experience with the new diesel? I mix Howes and Mystery Oil with mine and no problems yet.(knock on wood) I only use about 25 gallons a year so I buy at the local gas station.
I heard say that the oil companies no longer sell you heating oil to use for off road diesel. Is this true? If it is why?
Another rumor I heard was that they took the sulfur out of heating oil. Is there any truth to that?
Just wondering. I heard the low sulfur would be hard on older engines but I have not heard anything about widespread problems with trucks yet or maybe I don't hear well.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 9:54 pm

I can still buy off-road diesel at the local Luke Oil station. It is the same as heating oil (i have seen the heating oil truck deliver it, and confirmed it with a neighbor who owns a trucking company).

Not sure about low sulpher fuel damaging older diesels, have never run it in anything old. :)

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 10:09 pm

In Maryland #2 home heating oil and off the road diesel fuel was the same product until a few years ago. Now the home heating oil is dyed a redish color vs. the blueish green of diesel. Home heating oil is not taxed in Maryland, both on road and off road diesel are. Too many were cheating, buying home heating oil to avoid paying tax. As I understand it, both are the same product except for the dye. I have no experience with low sulfur diesel.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sun. Nov. 04, 2007 6:00 pm

I've experimented with off road diesel a few times in the MB 617.952 engine. This is an 80's design with a Bosch fuel injector pump & injectors using the older pre-chambers. There is definitely a different odor coming from the exhaust easily detected by anyone who would know the difference between off road or standard low sulfur. And of course the red dye is clearly visible in the fuel line pre filter.

[The glow plug and the injector are inserted into the pre chamber cup. The injector squirts the hp fuel into the cup. This is where the combustion takes place. Much different than the newer direct injection.]

OILEYMAN8

Post by OILEYMAN8 » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 4:26 pm

I ALSO DELIVER OIL AND AS OF10/1/07 YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO BURN HEATING OIL IN ANY OFFROAD OR MARINE VESSEL

George
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Cast Consol 3 w/ coaltrol

Post by George » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 6:04 pm

We have to burn ultra low sulfur diesel in our new emergency generators at work. It's the only way to get permits to run them. ;)
George

blue83camaro

Post by blue83camaro » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 6:36 pm

It is my understanding that the only problem with low sulfur diesel is the possibility for shortened injection pump life and how it affects the pump depends on what type of pump it is. This can be taken care of with additives. I try and run some thru every other tank. I guess time will tell. It could be nothing, like the scare people got over the removal of lead in fuel. Lead was really only added to fuel as an octane enhancer. I ran a high compression engine with nonhardened seats for 10000 miles and it showed no signs of seat recession and I had a solid cam and huge valve springs. So If you are worried put the additive in, it does more than lubricate the pump it adds cetain and stops gelling.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”