Winter tires

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 8:02 pm

No garage queens here. It's a really terrible idea to lay up a car for a long period.Best tires I can afford ... drive it till I drop. I am no youngster. If I get 10 years out of it, it will have been cheap. I can't afford a Ferrari or an 18 year old blonde. :D

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:43 am

Fluid Film and frequent undercarriage rinsing...
For the Car...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 9:35 am

CapeCoaler wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:43 am
Fluid Film and frequent undercarriage rinsing...
For the Car...
I've heard it suggested washing your car in the winter is bad news... The problem is you are using hot water and when it hits the cold steel it gets sucked up into all the crevices taking the salt with it.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 11:41 am

Fluid Film is in First...
Winter Rinse is with "cold" water at 50-60*...
That chloride is going to suck up into every crevice no matter what...
That is why you get a winter car for...

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 9:35 am
I've heard it suggested washing your car in the winter is bad news... The problem is you are using hot water and when it hits the cold steel it gets sucked up into all the crevices taking the salt with it.
With any commercial drive-through car wash, precious little water gets sprayed on the underside compared to the amount needed. So I guess it DOES make sense. Capillary action could spread and embed the salt, whereas if you could really flush it for a few minutes with lots of water, the water would start to run off carrying the salt with it. 55 degree water right from my well would do the job, but there are many many winter days when that would turn my driveway and the road into a skating rink. :no1:

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I coat the bottom of 2001 Sierra and 2000 Venture with either Fluid Film or LPS3. I use a spray gun with adjustable nozzle that is really more of an undercoating gun than an actual spray gun. Fluid Film sells on very similar. I also use warm water and a lawn sprinkler to rinse the vehicles all winter. I am one of the few people around with a Sierra of that vintage that the rockers are still solid as a daily driver. The spray wand goes on aerosol cans and gets into weep holes and inside panels.

Attachments

as11spraywand50.jpg
.JPG | 7.1KB | as11spraywand50.jpg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 4:31 am

My 2007 Honda CRV is nearly rust free. I account it to washing the car in the yard every time it comes home salty. I don't care if it's 10 below zero, it get's pressure washed. I built an "undersprayer" that rolls on wheels & shoots two nozzles straight up. Not too much power, but plenty of water. Oh.... and I also Fluid film once a year.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 4:52 pm

If i was able to afford a muscle car,new one at that, i would drive it when there is no white on the roads,maybe even only from May to Oct. to keep it salt free.... especially in New York state.
Yes, but you proceed from the assumption that my "muscle car" is something I just lay up and forget for 5 months or so. Rightly or wrongly having give my son my normal car and intending on selling my other normal car, this is my transportation. I do have an old Ford dually for horse trailering and emergency use but this Mustang is it. So Blizzaks LM 32s are being fitted and I am sucking up all the info on protecting the car in the winter. Ever onward (or something like that). Blizzaks, tube sand, Torson diff. with a snow/ice setting... a new adventure indeed.

Thank God I am not in Bolt on Lake Erie in Feb ... now that would be an adventure. I am just not that brave.

PS, if yo think I am pressure washing at or below zero.... aint happening.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 6:32 pm

My $0.02.

Ford builds mustangs every day, and you won't live long enough to see this one become a classic. Stay the course and drive the hell out of it.

If you are going to park it inside periodically, either leave the building cold, or heat it to 55+ and allow everything to dry out. Salt is most harmful when something sits wet.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 11:39 pm

CN,
Blizzaks are good but a bit mushy as I have three pairs: Volvo, Avalon, and Tacoma. I am more impressed with Nokian Hakkapelittia R3 (also come studded) and I will buy a pair for the new accord this year. Tiresbyweb is where I bought them for my VW Eurovan. I just checked and they have the 19" in stock around the $250 range. Take a look as they also sell wheels and tire packages.
S

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 8:46 am

Ford builds mustangs every day, and you won't live long enough to see this one become a classic.
I did not buy it to be a classic, a muscle car or anything fancy. The engine 5.0 dual injection system is world class and overcomes the negatives of DI injection on it's own. Add a turbo to a normal DI and watch that MPG start to tank after 50,000 miles or so. Just a damned good cheap to run car that is very reasonably priced. I don't need back seats so why pay for them. However, as Ford scrambles after a non existent autonomous market, launches a 4 seat Mustang that is also a x over and continues to do stupid things, the 18/19s may indeed become the pinnacle of the Mustang cars. Who knows and who cares.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 5:09 pm

we don't drive out mustangs in the winter, we put in storage. Thats what the daily drivers are for. we put true Snow tires on them with separate rims, easy to change out in the fall. Usually go with MIchelin Xice3 for one and something similar for the other vehicle. in fact, looking at new ones right now, I tried all seasons, but just sometimes dont have the grip like true snow tires do.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Of course, the RWD with a Torsen is a compromise but a reasonable one. 60% of the power in a 4wd in on the rear wheels so totally locking the two rears during slippage gets you most of the way there. With Blizzaks added things are not so bad. ADD WEIGHT to the rears and now you are talking. People always talk about just using a beater instead. Cheap reliable beaters are mostly a dream but everyone somehow just has one. They need maintaining, insuring and are depreciating. If they are not depreciating then they are probably unreliable. Stay home in the worst of the weather will be my solution. If you must then hire a rental. If I lived near Santas house then well perhaps a different approach is mandated.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 8:42 pm

You should have got a Raptor instead of a Stang....

Kevin

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 2:44 am

Kevin ... that and a bleeding ulcer ... There is no replacement for displacement.

However, I admit Chester is not Cuba and points North. I know that when we get clobbered ground clearance will kill me if nothing else. However, most days there is nowhere I have to be and that is a big advantage. It's going to be fun. However, as we descend into a nation of opiate/pot addiction I have already been offered a winter job in Florida that they can't fill, the last three potential hires failed drug tests..... nah, I am to old.

Hmmm, I wonder now, if I put a supercharger on it (I don't like whistling noises so out goes Wipple but a nice Procharger, stage 2) .... I could contract with the terror of the QC drag strip to come down and lay down some good numbers at the local track. These BP pills make me hallucinate.

So franco, as a student of praxeology, what drives me? :D

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”