Ham / Amateur Radio Ops?

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm sure there are some HAM operators on here. I've always had an interest in this and am starting to gather info to actually do it. I'm starting to look at radios and while I'm leaning towards a new Icom or Yeasu, I'd like to consider something like Kenwood 450S. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 8:23 pm

i used to be big into citizens band radios and export cb's with the extra channels.......wanted to take my no code exam yrs ago and get my no code lic but then the internet came along.....i havent looked back......still keep my radios functioning in case things go to crap

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I still have my CBs and my silver lollipop (as well as some amps that will melt the antennas), but I'm interested in really reaching out, hence HAM.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 8:37 pm

I've had an Extra license since the '90s, but don't participate too much. My TS 440 Yeasu rig sits in the corner of the bedroom. The wire is strung across the roof and through some trees to make, I think about 100 feet.

I do only code. I used to take the rig when I went round trip to Flordia, sending and receiving code as I drove along 95. It takes alot of concentration to copy in my head and when I think of it, it's probably not the safest thing to do at 75 MPH. I do remember driving through the night from Fla. to NC and sending/receiving the whole time.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:11 pm

There has to be a local club in your area.
They run national field days and logging
contests all the time. Check on line.
Then you have to decide if you want to
do voice or *** ** * *** ** * *** or both.

TSB

av8r

Post by av8r » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:24 pm

tsb wrote:There has to be a local club in your area.
They run national field days and logging
contests all the time. Check on line.
Then you have to decide if you want to
do voice or *** ** * *** ** * *** or both.

TSB
Ya, I found the local club and that there is a club at work...they even have a rig at work so I'll be going over there Monday to talk to one of the guys. I think voice will be the way for me, but I'll probably learn CW as well.

pret

Post by pret » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:25 pm

My father-in-law is a huge HAM operator, has the highest license one can attain as a private citizen... teaches courses, etc. I could ask him his opinion on equipment if you like? He's got a 100' tower in his backyard... yada yada yada!

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:27 pm

pret,

Ask him if he knows WF3M. My brother in Schwenksville,Pa.

av8r

Post by av8r » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:41 pm

pret wrote:My father-in-law is a huge HAM operator, has the highest license one can attain as a private citizen... teaches courses, etc. I could ask him his opinion on equipment if you like? He's got a 100' tower in his backyard... yada yada yada!
Sure...that would be great.

I'm interested in equipment that will give me access to all bands, plenty of power and newer features. I can go new if that's the best way, but don't mind buying used stuff. I've been told to consider Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu.

Thanks

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 10:03 pm

My father was as into ham radio as I am to coal. He was a navy radioman in WWII. He died in the 70's but built all his own ham radio gear in the 40' and 50's. He did eventually buy commercially made gear and he had a room full of the stuff. His call letters were W3BVL. Our backyard had an tower called an easyway that telliscoped inside itself and would tilt over to work on it. That was a big improvement from the first tower that you had to climb to make any repairs. Guess who did the climbing?
My dad had friends all over the world that he spoke with regularly. One of his favorite things to do was the "phone patch'. He would talk to the ham radio operator on navy ships and relay calls to their families via our home phone. This was in the days before our current communications technology and was pretty amazing. I think it was also illegal but that didn't stop the old man.
He spoke with King Hussien of Jordan several times who was a ham radio operator. The king sent him an autographed photo. After my dad died, my mother thorugh out that photo. She hated it from the day my dad got it. Never really understood that????

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I have a Varmit 1KW sitting in my closet. When your ready to reach out. I only used it for CB but talked to Australia with it before on sideband.
It will/would dead key at 1200 watts and swing up to about 2600 watts.

av8r

Post by av8r » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 10:31 pm

cArNaGe wrote:I have a Varmit 1KW sitting in my closet. When your ready to reach out. I only used it for CB but talked to Australia with it before on sideband.
It will/would dead key at 1200 watts and swing up to about 2600 watts.
You know me, Carny....go big or go home. When can I pick it up?
Wonder if it would melt my neighbor's TVs?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 6:39 am

the "phone patch'. He would talk to the ham radio operator on navy ships and relay calls to their families via our home phone. This was in the days before our current communications technology and was pretty amazing. I think it was also illegal
I don't remember how it was done because the chief used to set everything up, but that was the only way to communicate with family in 1971 when at sea. Phone patches were done maybe once or twice during the 45 days that we were out and only a few guys were able to make calls. I don't know if it was illegal or not.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 7:41 am

I don't think there was anything illegal on the Navy end, just the ham radio operators end. Something about cheating the phone company out of long distance. It made my mom nervous but dad, being an old navy man thought it was great.

Machinist
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: None

Post by Machinist » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 8:16 am

coalkirk wrote:I don't think there was anything illegal on the Navy end, just the ham radio operators end.
They were probably using MARS - Military Affiliate Radio System.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Affiliate_ ... dio_System

AV8R
I Have a Technician license. I use Icom IC-746Pro, it works on all common amateur bands except 60 meters.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”