Blacksmithing; Part Hobby/Part Job

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. May. 25, 2024 9:23 am

About 10 years ago we went on a trip and stopped in South Dakota. There was this black smith hobby guy on the street corner handing out items. It was very entertaining. We spent more than an hour chatting with the guy and walked away with a couple specialty horseshoes and a modified railroad spike.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. May. 25, 2024 7:30 pm

When I was a kid Albert and his wife Annie would come to our house weekly. When Annie died we invited Albert to keep coming. I was pre-teens at the time probably and teens when Annie passed away. These visits went on for most if my early life and became something we expected…as they seemed part if the family because we made them feel at home when they would visit. My parents would have been early 30’s or younger and it went on until their mid-40’s.

Albert would come eat dinner with us and sit and talk awhile…about old times, things he did and experienced. We didn’t mind the company and it wasn’t a burden to us at all. They would visit on Tuesday night every week. Before that there was another old gentleman that would visit with us until he too passed.

Looking back I’m sure those older folks enjoyed visiting with us and having someone to listen to what they had to say. I feel both honored and blessed that they took a shine to us and us to them. I’m sure it meant a lot to them. At my age now I look back and I’m so thankful for lending them an ear. I know that visiting my grandpa’s, after my grandma’s had passed away, sure meant a lot to them.

Don’t forget the elders around you. Invite them for dinner sometime. You might just spark a relationship that when they’re gone you wished you could have had with them for a lifetime.

Greenleaf
Stoker Coal Boiler: No
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: No
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: No
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: No
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Yes
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: No
Baseburners & Antiques: Yes
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Greenleaf » Thu. Jul. 04, 2024 7:43 am

The village shop where I'm employed. We use coal, coke and wood to fire our forges. Typically bituminous fuel of high grade and pea sized. Raw wood works better than commercial charcoal for our operation and the heater is wood fired only.

Attachments

20240525_112812~2.jpg
.JPG | 379.5KB | 20240525_112812~2.jpg
20240406_121923.jpg
.JPG | 358.7KB | 20240406_121923.jpg

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”