Snake Boots.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 12:28 pm

Two things I hate the most are heights and snakes. A friend of mine used to climb a 200' foot tall water tower and hang off the side of it. My stomach was turning just watching him from the ground.

I just bought a new house and I need to do some work in the woods. But, I guarantee those woods have a few Copperheads slithering around. I don't want to spend money on snake boots unless I have to. I'm wondering if a pair of firemen boots from my volunteer days would keep any fangs from getting through?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I doubt they'll give you the protection a snake boot does as they have an unpenatratable layer whereas a fireboot may have a one or two layers of leather and or rubber. I'm sure they're better than an average boot but fangs are very sharp.

LouSee
Stoker Coal Boiler: '57 EFM DF'd 520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Independance
Coal Size/Type: Buck & Rice

Post by LouSee » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 1:02 pm

as a rule, snakes are shy and copperheads are pretty shy for snakes. walk around with a rake and let it do the exploring rather than your foot. be noisy (they don't have ears but acutely sense vibration) and they'll get out of your way.

Loose fitting boots have the air gap so a bite doesn't go right into the skin. Snakes strike at the surface of the target - they won't know there's a gap between the boot and the skin. Thick pants over the boots - denim or canvas or corduroy - loose fitting as well, helps. You want to protect to at least knee level. The fireman's boots might be OK if they're the taller bunker boots but most are on the shorter side - maybe mid-calf. And while they usually have the fabric lining/internal support layer, they're not really sharps-proof. And fangs are sharp.

If you're really freaked out, I'd get gaiters - the plastic ones are cheap enough.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Kick every stump and walk like a moose thru the woods and you wont have problems. Gaiters would help with sharp poking brush too, so might be a good thing anyway.

I had a garter or grass??? snake strike me once and it almost went thru the leather of my Red Wings and their teeth are tiny. I can only imagine a viper bite, how deep it would go.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I found it kinda interesting how much some corn snakes look like copperheads.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Apr. 05, 2021 5:53 pm

I’d suggest that you stay out of the woods.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 8:23 am

Our farm had 147 acres in Hyde Park NY and some of the snake stories I've been told are pretty crazy. Plus a few stories about ball lightning that would make your hair stand up straight. Sadly, they sold the farm in the late 1970's.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”