Buying a gun without needing a license or permit.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 10:36 am

We had a discussion at work yesterday which centered around firearms, knives and other self-defense items.

Am I correct when I tell people that they can legally buy a firearm manufactured in 1898 or older without a license or permit of any kind?

For example, the Winchester 1897 pump-shotgun (manufactured in 1897-1898) should not require a license or FFL dealer to purchase.

Note: Laws vary greatly by state. This being Connecticut, we have very tough laws here post-Sandy Hook.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 10:53 am

I'm in CT. You would be looking for trouble buying a handgun without a permit. Black powder percussion would possibly be Kosher but I would not even attempt that. The process of acquiring a permit is simple and unless your a felon and live in one of our delightful large cities, it won't take that long. Mine was 3 weeks. If you live in Bridgeport it will easily take a year or more (state law says 60 days). Even if it was legal, the police don't know all the gruesome laws (and neither do the morons that write them) so you're better off just getting it. Then you can deal with a modern, ultra reliable firearm.

I would say, if it fires a metallic cartridge, you better have a permit.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 6:13 pm

another way to do it is to buy a 80% receiver and finish it yourself.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Then you have the problem of buying ammo. You need a certificate for that too here in CT. Do yourself a favor and get the permit to carry. You can buy a gun on the spot, pistol, rifle, shotgun and ammo without the drama. The way things are going you'll probably wish you did at some point.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Wow....you guys have a lot of garbage you have to go through for a weapon and ammo. I guess I'm fortunate comparatively speaking.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 11:05 pm

LOL...
Sucks in MA also...
Went to college in NH back in the day...
Weapons just needed to be in the open...
Nice ammo store in Portsmouth...
Sand pit out in Nottingham...
AK-47, .444 Marlin, another rifle and shotgun and a few handguns...
All on the back dash of a Falcon...
with 3 twenty somethings inside...
Fun times and a few funny looks...

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Jun. 10, 2020 3:04 am

Pre 1899 made firearms are considered antiques and are not considered firearms under federal law and most states. It often requires a good bit of knowledge and reference to be sure of the date of manufacture. Occasionally it's easy, like all Ludwig Lowe made mauser rifles as they were absorbed into DWM along with Mauser Oberndorf and a munitions factory in something like 1897. If your talking Colt and Winchester, an antique status adds mightily to the price.

I don't remember anything of Conn. firearms laws, but New Jersey, last I heard, considers everything a firearm including black powder muzzleloaders and I believe, air guns. Quite likely, antiques as well. Pa. and most places sell muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers as non firearms. The Jersey folks that bought those in our regular firearms dept. were committing felonies taking them home. I was a licensed collector for some years and worked professionally in a collectible firearms shop for several years until 14 years ago. We did a lot of business with non Pa. residents. Upstate NY residents had something called a FOID card with the firearms they owned listed on it. My memory may be faulty, but I believe they were only allowed 5 firearms max on the card. Then there's places like California that no one will sell to. NY state ( and some others) cops and judges are notorious for not recognizing federal law guarantees on legal transport, etc. through their state.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Jun. 10, 2020 7:36 am

CapeCoaler wrote:
Tue. Jun. 09, 2020 11:05 pm
LOL...
Sucks in MA also...
Went to college in NH back in the day...
Weapons just needed to be in the open...
Nice ammo store in Portsmouth...
Sand pit out in Nottingham...
AK-47, .444 Marlin, another rifle and shotgun and a few handguns...
All on the back dash of a Falcon...
with 3 twenty somethings inside...
Fun times and a few funny looks...
Ford Falcon....that was definitely "back in the day". There was about a 10 year range the Falcon was produced ending in the year I was born. We had a 65 Falcon that was parked in the woods that we used to play in as kids. In my teens my friend and I took the engine and transmission out of it. The engine was a Thriftpower16, inline 6, 3.3L. If I remember correctly the 65 Mustang had the same engine. The engine was seized and my gramp told us to take out the spark plugs and pour about 6 ounces of diesel fuel in each cylinder and the same in the carburetor. Every day we would try and break it loose and repeat the process. It took 7 days and it finally broke loose. We couldn't afford to get new points, plugs, distributor rotor and battery, so the engine and transmission went back into the trunk of the car. Fun times. Sorry for the thread drift guys.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”