Pellet gun.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. May. 14, 2020 8:21 pm

You need to have a few screws loose to be shooting .22 rim fire into the air.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. May. 14, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm thinkin that's the best method I've read here so far--orrrrrrr, ya can continue to complicate the hell out of the whole thing 8-) --
Rob R. wrote:
Thu. May. 14, 2020 2:07 pm
I just to just throw a tennis ball up on the roof to scare the pigeons out and blast them with a 12 gauge.

sperry
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by sperry » Fri. May. 15, 2020 5:39 am

Not sure the farmer will appreciate the 12 gauge thing around the girls. But after all the air and PCB talk in Rob's well I cant help but understand the 12ga idea. Hell, I became so frustrated just following his well problems I want to join in and blast some pigeons with a 12ga too. :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. May. 15, 2020 6:51 am

sperry wrote:
Fri. May. 15, 2020 5:39 am
Not sure the farmer will appreciate the 12 gauge thing around the girls.
The first few shots scare them, but if you shoot on a regular basis they get used to it. 8-)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. May. 27, 2020 11:07 am

No one has squirrel hunted with a .22? They generally aren't feeding on the ground. Bullets may travel from a body shot, but head shots is doubtful. Too much bone to not let the bullet expand as evidenced by the opening on the exist side of the head. LOL!!! :lol: Have killed hundreds and hundreds with head shots and I'm not the only one. Hate picking out bird shot from my squirrels...mainly because when I skin them I don't like getting hair on the meat, so I turn them inside out when skinning, starting at the tail. Squirrel rolled in flour and rinsed removes the hair. Best method I've found. Thank you grandma!!!
Last edited by Hoytman on Wed. May. 27, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 27, 2020 11:39 am

Yup. Squirrel heads are not hard enough to stop a 22.rimfire. I have never recovered even parts of 22 rimfire hollow point slugs from squirrels, doesn't matter if head shot, or end to end. They are not dense enough to open standard rimfire hollow points. And that's hundreds of grays and reds over my 57 years of hunting them.

22 rimfire will even pass through woodchuck heads. That's why I switched to 22 mag and 223 both using ballistic tips to limit danger of pass through shots on chucks.

I stopped using my 22 rimfire for squirrels about 10 years ago when I got my Benjamin 22 gas-ram pellet gun. Even that does through and through hits on every part of squirrels out to about 50 yards, including head shot ones. And it will punch holes through a two story high barn metal roof after going through pigeons. Don't ask how I know.

A 22 rimfire with it's almost twice as high velocity and 3x heavier bullet than 22 pellets will do even more traveling than that.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. May. 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Correction...they generally aren’t feeding on the ground when I shoot them. They rarely get a chance to leave the tree. 😂

Shooting at squirrels on the ground is sort of like water swatting ducks. It’s easy!😂

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. May. 28, 2020 10:05 pm

o when I got my Benjamin 22 gas-ram pellet gun.
Which model do you have? I am interested in a sub sonic pellet gun in .22 caliber and most springer and gas models are not subsonic.....

Kevin

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. May. 28, 2020 11:35 pm

KLook wrote:
Thu. May. 28, 2020 10:05 pm
Which model do you have? I am interested in a sub sonic pellet gun in .22 caliber and most springer and gas models are not subsonic.....

Kevin
Kev,
Don't believe the advertising hype. And in the air rifle world there is a lot of hype about pellet speeds !!!!

I don't know of any 22 springer or gas ram that will actually chronograph over 1000 fps unless using the ultra light pellets. Anyone tells you their 22 springer or gas ram does over 1000 ask to see that on a chronograph.

With average weight 22 pellets, you'll get about 800-900 fps in the more powerful ones, like the Benjamin Trail 1100, which is what I have.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_ ... /2052#4170

It's rated at 1100fps, but that's only with ultra light pellets, which do not have enough weight to prevent the piston from moving too fast and slamming too hard, shortening the life by burning and beating up the piston cup after only a couple of hundred shots. Plus, the accuracy falls way off as they approach the speed of sound.

And using light pellets, it gets louder. I use mine for pest control around live stock. With it's full length shrouded barrel and mid-weight pellets, it won't spook live stock.

With the heavy pellets in the 20+ weight, more like 700 fps.

And yes, I have chronographed mine with a wide variety of pellet weights. The mid range weights are the most accurate.

I use the JSB pellets. They are imported from Europe and they hand sorted. The quality control is excellent. On a power scale they are the most consistent weight-wise of any of the many pellet brands I've tried.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_Diabolo_Exact_ ... _500ct/584

Paul

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. May. 29, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks Paul, I have the Remington Express in .177......Not happy with the inconsistency of it. tough to hold it right in actual shooting at varmints situations not off a bench with a bag. Looking for something more forgiving.

Kevin

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 30, 2020 1:20 am

Yeah, lots of guys get the 17 cal. and are disappointed with accuracy. The light little pellets get unstable easily as they slow down through the sound barrier. So, they can be ok accuracy until out at the range the pellet slows below the speed of sound. And on windy days the accuracy really takes a beating in crosswinds compared to the heavier 22 pellets. And they are louder than the same models in 22 cal. because of the pellets breaking the sound barrier.

One more thing about the air rifle hype. I originally bought a Gamo 22 cal.Whisper,.... there's nothing whisper about it. It's a lot louder than my Benjamin Trail. The trail is about as loud as gently clapping your hands together. But it's not hyped as being as quite, like the Gamos are hyped with their short, plastic suppressors,.... that are pretty much useless except for trapping cleaning patches inside the suppressor.

Paul

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. May. 30, 2020 10:52 am

Unless you must have an air rifle and spend money on it...

...here’s an option that, imho, is a much better solution.
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/cb/6-38.html

They make CB’s in shorts as well.
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/search?q=CB&search ... ng=default

Winchester also makes a couple .22 rimfire CB bullet designs. Read the article below and pay attention to the last ever comments about quietness and comparison to air rifles.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/forgotten_22Long.htm

Someone said aim small miss small. I will add to that pick the right bullet for the job and make good shot selection. You can’t call a shot back once you pull the trigger.

The CB selections, and other bullet selections, makes the .22 rimfire superbly versatile, from plinking pop cans and close and long ranges, to target shooting, to all sorts of combinations for hunting. Just because abbullet is used for target work doesn’t mean the load isn’t compatible with some types of hunting. There are endless possibilities.

There are some nice and really quiet air rifles out there and I have shot a few. I always go back to my .22 and the right bullet for the job when it comes to most of my shooting. I’m not opposed to using the right air rifle and ammo combo either.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. May. 30, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 30, 2020 11:10 am

https://amzn.to/2r4sY9b

This site will give an idea of what's out there

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. May. 30, 2020 11:21 am

johnjoseph wrote:
Sat. May. 30, 2020 11:10 am
https://amzn.to/2r4sY9b

This site will give an idea of what's out there
Nice little pellet gun. I read some of the reviews and one person showed a ten shot group about the size of a quarter at 30 feet I think it was.

I’m sure there are guns more accurate if you need more accuracy. That would be a nice choice for close range work, but you are limited to close range. Nothing inherently wrong with that.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”