A Few Nice Photos

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Freetown Fred gave me a nice compliment on taking photos so I thought I would share some of the ones I thought came out pretty good, and the stories behind them.

This was a fun day when we did a photo shoot of Katie as Little Red Ridinghood, and me as the logger that saved her from the big bad wolf. This was taken in some old growth forest on our farm. We make our own costumes, but neither one of us can sew. So, to get the hood attached, we cut slits, and then ran a ribbon to hook the hood to the cloak. I mean, it could not be Little Red Ridinghood without a hood!
DSCN2057.JPG
.JPG | 939.8KB | DSCN2057.JPG

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:44 pm

This was not the best camera, but it was from 2002ish...taken on a Illinois Central Railroad Line over the Ohio River. This is on the Paducah, KY end looking towards Metropolis, Il. The interstate is just out of view on the right...

Just an interesting vantage point, and of a bridge a lot of people have seen, but probably have never been on...
Metropolis Bridge 3.jpg
.JPG | 638.7KB | Metropolis Bridge 3.jpg

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:49 pm

I am not sure how any of you feel, but this one looks like it is a picture that could be a 1000 piece puzzle.

In any case, I was just prospecting, and snapped this photo looking upstream of an old dam. Just very tranquil I think...
100_2521.JPG
.JPG | 976.7KB | 100_2521.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Like me or hate me; either is fine, but you cannot say I do not love my family. We also get out and enjoy our farm; even in winter...even with an infant.

In this picture we made a tree-bough survival shelter, then went down to a stream, got some water, then kindled a fire and made cocoa. It was all done to show my daughters that we are blessed, and that we can get out there and enjoy it.

This photo and story was used by the US Forest Service in their "Discover the Forest" campaign to encourage families to get out into the forest now and then.
Winter Camp .JPG
.JPG | 680.2KB | Winter Camp .JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:04 pm

When my youngest daughter was born, I was working at a shipyard with 7000 people, 500 of which were welders like me. Many people knew me, and knew I had a baby on the way, so to announce her birth, I put this photo of her up in the breakroom. Under it I had her dimensions: 7.1 Pounds and 19 inches long...
Dept 43.jpg
.JPG | 459.8KB | Dept 43.jpg

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:16 pm

We might be farmers, but when we go to town, Katie and I like to be dressed up, and often we are the best dressed at a restaurant. Well Katie and I went out to diner at the Black Frog up in Greenville, (with the baby) and on our way back, went to see what "Borestone Mountain" was. On the way there we saw this old railroad maintenance of way section house, so we stopped in.

This is a odd passion of ours, we like to explore abandoned buildings like this. Anyway, Katie was all dressed up, and so I snapped a picture of her coming down these nasty stairs, her dressed up, and the decay of the building in contrast.

The second picture is to show what the building looked like form afar.

Attachments

DSCN2105.JPG
.JPG | 404.4KB | DSCN2105.JPG
DSCN2108.JPG
.JPG | 878.9KB | DSCN2108.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Those are very interesting pics :)
Thanks for sharing!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:52 pm

Very nice pix, NS. Thanks.

Paul

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:07 am

This was an interesting photo. I was up bringing the sheep down from the upper pasture one fall day, turned around, and saw this, and quickly snapped a picture. A really nice moment in time captured forever...

Sheep grazing on 3rd crop. The hills in autumn bloom, Corn about to be harvested...it is about as Maine Farm as a person can get.
11.JPG
.JPG | 349.9KB | 11.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:11 am

From scenic to down right creepy...

And this old farm (not mine) is creepy, and it should be. In the old woodshed to the far left, second floor, at the window, my neighbor blew his brains out with a shotgun. It was super creepy, but I went up there, and you can still see the pellet holes in the tin roof where he made his last shot. It is weird with the light filtering down through the pellet holes like it does, then his three legged chair, and knowing what happened there.
2.JPG
.JPG | 630.8KB | 2.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:17 am

This is about as New England as it gets...with the rock wall being a townline between two towns actually. About 100 feet away in the foundation on an old Inn back in the 1800's. In the day, this was the cross roads from Bangor/Augusta/Belfast and Newport, so it was a major hub. Back in those days, the safest place to keep valuables was under a rock in a rock wall, and I have always wanted to go over these rock walls with a metal detector to see just what someone might have left behind by accident. As for the inn itself, the owners contracted Scarlet fever in the 1850's and died...

Still, I think this photo would make a nice puzzle too...
6.JPG
.JPG | 637.3KB | 6.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:18 am

Believe it or not, this is the same rock wall, and same bike, it is just winter!
1.JPG
.JPG | 576.4KB | 1.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:23 am

The USDA needed a picture to show that I had taken 12 acres of forest and cleared it back into farmland, so I decided, if I had to have a picture, I would at least spice it up. So Katie and I had a little picnic in the back 40...or I guess...back 12 acres as it were.
9.jpg
.JPG | 571.3KB | 9.jpg

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 9:31 am

Brunch anyone?
10.jpg
.JPG | 1016.6KB | 10.jpg

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 10:06 am

This photo is kind of funny...

We were at this stream around May 16th, 2011. It was a Sunday afternoon, and for May in Maine, a really nice day, like 80 degrees out. My daughter was with her mother, and Katie's daughter's with their father, so it was just Katie and I. So we made a trip to this stream for a picnic...

As I said, it was a really nice day, and one thing might have continued to yet another...

But Katie was 38 weeks pregnant. So here we are miles from anywhere, her barely able to waddle in, and her water breaks...

It seems there are certain activities that a husband and wife can do to get the baby moving along...and we might have, or might not, have done said activities....

So we get to the hospital and the Doctor says, "Relations at this point in the pregnancy is okay"...…...………...he said drawing out his words, just glaring at me, looking at me like he was going to kill me. I shrug my shoulders because it was not entirely my idea, Katie had something to do with this predicament too. In any case, we ended up being parents 2 weeks earlier than we should have.
100_2876.JPG
.JPG | 554.1KB | 100_2876.JPG

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”