NY Bambi season

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 2:34 pm

okay, know there a few weeks ahead of us in NY state. So hunters, how did your Deer season go? Any trophies, first kills for mentored kids?

11/26 is beginning for PA. I probably will sit a few hours here and there. Mainly 45 Yds in woods behind house. Got a roofed stand and a small propane bottle reflector heater.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 6:40 pm

I hope that they are getting lots of them, hopefully does to reduce the population.
Way to many deer in my area, the amount farm crop damage is ridiculous.
The woods have almost no browse in them it's all stripped clean.
Doe buck ratio is so far off that the does don't get breed till 2nd or 3rd heat cycle,
fawns born late each year so they don't get much size before trying to winter through.
The number of big bucks is quite small, the hunters need to go with the deer management
style hunting, no bucks unless 8 point or better.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Got a good-sized doe only a couple of minutes after sunrise opening day (last Saturday here in CNY). Proceeded to do a cardo self test dragging it up hill through a foot of snow to get within reach of the 4wd's tow rope so I could get it across the daughter's hay field to her garage to butcher it. By noon, she had it all de-boned & bagged.

Been seeing lots of does and yearlings, but nothing with horns yet. And it's been the quietest deer season I can ever remember,.. as opposed to last year's opening day sounded like a firefight going on all around us.

This morning, I had fun watching two yearlings walk up on me from down-wind while I was waiting to see how close they'd get before they'd catch my sent and spook, only to have them both walk up next to me and browse just ten feet from me while I leaned on a chest-high tree stump right on the edge of a clearing I was setup on. Had I known they'd come so close, I would have loved to have my camera out.

I thought to myself, wow, this is really good snow camo,..... then it dawned on me that more likely they thought I was ugly enough to just be a part of that big tree stump. :lol:

Left after only 2 hours when no more critters were moving and the 10-12 F Windchill finally soaked into these 67 year old bones. Nice to come home to warm up by a hot coal stove with a tea kettle full of hot water waiting to make hot chocolate !!! :yes:

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 6:26 am

LouNY,
I've been doing my part to reduce the doe population the next town over. (Easton) Managed one with a bow earlier and dropped 2 more last weekend. I've seen 4 bucks so far but none that meet the QDM minimums. (3 1/2 year old/ 16" inside spread) I still have my buck tag and a muzzleloader tag but running out of room in the freezer.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 7:56 am

Interesting, I actually live in Easton, Mailing is Greenwich.
Yes, I'm not surprised that you are not seeing the QDM minimum bucks there are a few out there but mostly does or this years fawns. We haven't had a real bad winter in quite a while for the winter kill to knock the numbers down.
Better to see them harvested then starving to death, or being road kill.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 9:59 am

I agree about there being a lot of does in parts of NY.

Had two good sized ones walk through my yard last night here in the middle of a good-sized village, when I put the yard light on at 11 pm to go dump an ash pan. I haven't put out a bird feeder this year because for a few winters now I'd have 3-4 deer each night empty it, plus eat all that falls on the ground. I don't mind them eating the patches of ground cover in the yard, but I'm not spending money on bird seed so that there's none left next day for the birds.

And for the first time in my life, this is the second year in a row that I've gotten a doe permit. Not being a land owner, plus getting a doe permit last year, I shouldn't have any preference points this year toward a getting a permit, but apparently my WMU area has an over abundance of does. And I've been seeing more does this year than ever before, but fewer hunter's trucks by the side of roads.

Paul

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 10:33 am

There are fewer hunters now then when I was a kid and started hunting and trapping 50 years ago. I actually live 2 towns to the north (Hartford) but have hunted in Easton/Cambridge and across the river in Saratoga county for the last 30 years. I just don't have the deer population on/near my property.
Since I keep a very large garden, small orchard and just put in 75 grapevines, I don't want to see deer like they have south of here. One of the property owners I hunt on has given up trying to plant anything due to the deer eating everything including coming up on his porch to clean off the window boxes.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah, it's strange how some areas are over-run and other areas that look like they'd have lots of potential, are not.

Back about 6 years ago, before my daughter bought her place in Madison County, several years in a row I tried hunting the Palmertown Range near Moreau area because I could stay at our house in Saratoga Springs. Saw lots of hunters, but no deer and hardly any tracks in snow. But if you don't mind often climbing like a mountain goat, the north slopes there are really good for squirrel hunting.

Now I've got just the opposite situation. Lots of deer, but not much small game. :baby:

Paul

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”