Who else is into flintlocks?

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I've been hunting with flintlocks since the early 70's. The more that I've hunted with them, the more hooked I've gotten. There have even been years that I didn't wait for the late flintlock season, I hunted with them during the regular gun season.
Image Image
Image Image

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Awesome, kudos for keeping such an activity alive.
I just returned from a "muzzleloader" hunt in Va. I use the term loosely as I did shove a bullet down the barrel. TC Omega with about 48 grs. of smokeless powder. Sighted to 150 was 4 inches low at 200. Drilled a nice buck at about 130 with a saboted 45 cal 250 gr bullet. I think it was about the equivalent of a .35 Rem. with a 200 gr round nose. (Personal opinion) Other shots were closer and I discussed with hunting partners the damage these things do. Unnecessary power for in close shooting. My brothers custom built Savage 110 will shoot into 3 inches at 300 yards. Insane. We go to Va to meat hunt, so getting them is the priority, but I only shot 2 bucks and let the does go. I had tags for 3 bucks and 3 does. I saw 28 deer in 7 days. We have been invited to hunt a monster dairy farm next year as they have a deer problem and want meat hunters, not trophy hunters. Specifically.......
I took my bow out one day and had 2 get in range but did not get a shot at them before they spooked. I have decided to get one with a bow. It is exciting. I have been a center fire rifle guy my whole life, but I find these smokeless muzzleloaders to easy when the deer are plentiful. Not like the last 40+ years in Eastern Maine. You better kill the one buck you see, as you will not likely see another for at least another year. Hard to believe but that is the way it has been since I was in my late teens. The Savage 110's are so good that my friends that have them consider not hunting with anything else even though they have many guns to chose from. Follow up shots are the only limiting factor.

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 11:30 pm

I hunted several years with percussion cap and round ball, 50 cal in a TC Hawken. I got one doe, the only deer I shot at with it. 10 below zero that day and I had the woods to myself :lol: I have a TC Penn Hunter in flintlock 50 cal but have never used it to hunt with... they changed the muzzleloading season here so that anyone can buy a license even if they hunt other seasons and it really wrecked it for me. Almost all are buck hunting and hunters everywhere, almost all inlines of course.

Anyone who has never shot a flintlock doesnt know how different it is. If you are a flincher at all stick to inlines as you'll miss by a mile. That little hesitation that sometimes occurs between pulling the trigger and when it fires really tests your being able to hold it steady. Very fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate.

What are you using for a gun? it looks nice.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove

Post by Protrucker » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 11:39 pm

That's a semi custom Pennsylvania long rifle built by Tip Curtis. It's a .54 caliber with a C profile swamped barrel. I love the way it handles & balances. It's very well tuned & shoots with almost no noticeable delay. I've been able to take a couple deer over 100 yards out too.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 8:32 am

Ive heard of his guns on another forum. Im sure it is a better gun than any factory builds especially with the time delay. Pro's know their stuff. There are very few factory traditional guns made any more compared to inlines.

Protrucker

Post by Protrucker » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 11:48 am

I kinda got pressured into buying an inline barrel for my T/C Encore. I mounted a scope on it, sighted it in & killed one deer with it. That could be the last deer I get with it too.... I just prefer flintlocks when muzzleloader hunting. Plus the recoil really hurts the shoulder worse than any gun I own, even with the 7mm Mag barrel on the Encore.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 2:15 pm

That's nice shootin P.-- Kudo's! :)
Protrucker wrote:
Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 11:39 pm
That's a semi custom Pennsylvania long rifle built by Tip Curtis. It's a .54 caliber with a C profile swamped barrel. I love the way it handles & balances. It's very well tuned & shoots with almost no noticeable delay. I've been able to take a couple deer over 100 yards out too.

Protrucker

Post by Protrucker » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 7:43 am

I use that flintlock for all kinds of hunting....

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 8:52 pm

I have fired a flintlock....a .75 caliber reproduction of the Revolutionary War weapon. It kicked the living *censored* out of me.....He also had a custom build unbelievable thing of beauty made by some guru in Kentucky I think....He called it Shadowfax and I did not fire it. Not sure he did.
The inlines I have fired with smokeless are noticeable for the lack of recoil. I am somewhat recoil averse and I find the Omega pleasant to shoot. Probably less recoil then my .270 Browning Medallion A-bolt.
My brother left for Anticosti Island in the St. Lawrence seaway north of Maine this morning. He probably took his 30-06 or a short mag. But none of them will outshoot that Custom Savage muzzleloader.

Kevin

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”