Coyotes - I need advice

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Nothin uglier then seein a deer taken down --hamstrung & then the guts--while the deer thrashes about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh but it was a sick one Fred....heard it all believe me. They have killed more hunting dogs then I can possibly remember, and many family pets tied to a line in the backyard....people have gotten so enraged with the loss of expensive beagles or family pets that they committed themselves to full time coyote control. Many of my friends put bait out and man it in shifts around the clock. Night hunting them with infrared is legal in Maine.

Kevin

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 8:47 pm

I should of specified -- in the deep snow--deer sink & go real slow, even healthy ones-coyotes don't. In the summer--YES if they run one down it's because it's not healthy.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 9:26 pm

KLook wrote:
Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 8:21 pm

You cant be serious ??? I would say you have zero experience with the Eastern Coyote by that remark. It is straight out of the late 1970's and 80's Biologist statements in Maine. And after they decimated the deer herds(and they are still decimated) the head Biologist from that time(retired) admitted they were wrong.....ya don't say? Scavengers my a$$.....The first ever documented human killed by them was up in New Brunswick.

Kevin
Kevin you don't know me and I don't know you. I speak from my experiences here in PA. I'm sure Maine has different circumstances that leads you to your opinion and experiences. Don't be ignorant.

KLook

Post by KLook » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Kevin you don't know me and I don't know you. I speak from my experiences here in PA. I'm sure Maine has different circumstances that leads you to your opinion and experiences. Don't be ignorant.
lol, time will tell. We had open winters(no snow) on the coast many times Fred, Maine has several climates or snow conditions. As to taking them down, I can assure you that healthy deer are no match for them. As to ignorance, I believe Biologist south of Maine are warning their hunters about the likely decline of the deer herds from the incoming predators. Maybe after your friends and family lose pets and hunting dogs like Beagles, you will realize what has happened. Another bonus for the anti hunting crowd that despises the need to control the deer, along with the people that have "deer problems", is that they will wipe out the surplus......Don't need hunters anymore. Plus, deer hunting has been reduced to riding around in a truck for 4 decades in my part of Maine. Only traditionalist hunt the way it used to be done. I am one of them. I returned to Maine 3 years ago for a week at my old hunting camp in Whiting, Maine. It (the town) was listed in Outdoor Life in 1974 as one of the top couple of places in the North East to take a 200+ lb buck, mine was just 200 field dressed that year. 40 years later I managed to see 1 doe in a solid week of hunting and was surprised by that. I didn't go back to my old stomps to get one as I knew the conditions.
I am not ignorant of anything when it comes to coyote and deer. The only effective method was snaring which the Feds banned because you might catch a Canadian Lynx which the Canadians have a season on and shoot them, go figure. Now there are a few pockets of deer where the local men are really aggressive in controlling them. Running them with dogs is the most successful way, but others put out bait piles they can monitor out a window or even have an infrared alarm that beeps in the house. Using night scopes and having permits to take them at night. Trapping (leghold) made a big comeback but it is skill that many do not have and is time consuming.

Not sure why they have not spread more quickly South, but I have the idea that they don't like the hardwood forests. There is a healthy population of deer along the coast from Bar Harbor down and inland to Bangor and points south. That is also the highest people density in the state. Western, Northern, and Eastern Maine are softwood forests.

I have seen quite a few coyotes here in Tenn and over into Ga. They are about 1/2 half the size of the Eastern variety. I also have seen dead ones on the highways in Kentucky, Virginia, and Penn and NY. Saw live ones bowhunting in Kentucky. Never seen one as big as the Eastern. The biggest Eastern I have seen (dead) was 68 lbs. I have heard of them topping 70.

Hopefully my ignorance does not become your sorrow in Penn.

Kevin

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Friends outside of town, near the state lands where there's lots of coyote yelling after dark, have lost several dogs and lots of barn cats off their farm.

The coyotes cleared all the turkey off the 300 acre farm I used to hunt. Every once in awhile, walking the farm I'd come across a pile of feathers that looked like a turkey had exploded, but no trace of body parts. Not even bones.

There have been many reports of coyote attacks in urban areas around the country.

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 7:00 am

Wow, guys keep arguing whilst I soak this up. I have a real problem here that has gotten worse over the years and I needed more knowledge. Flocks of wild turkey are now gone :cry: but then so are Canadian Geese :D . A couple of cats missing :cry: . However, the unmanageable deer population is is dwindling and flower beds are surviving :D . I do not miss the damned deer! I guess it's the balance of nature. Like winter, perhaps the coyotes ensure balance. I am going to change some things however. Give me country living and coal. Of course, as FF has reminded me ... when you live in the Hudson Valley you are not really anything. However, I can get 23 tons of coal for $150 a load ... does anything else matter? TV stinks but inviting solar salesman for discussions is hilarious.

All I need for completion is a hydrogen powered car ....... hahahahahahhahahahaa. Thx Dave for that one.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 10:18 am

KLook wrote:
Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 8:43 pm
Nothin uglier then seein a deer taken down --hamstrung & then the guts--while the deer thrashes about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh but it was a sick one Fred....heard it all believe me. They have killed more hunting dogs then I can possibly remember, and many family pets tied to a line in the backyard....people have gotten so enraged with the loss of expensive beagles or family pets that they committed themselves to full time coyote control. Many of my friends put bait out and man it in shifts around the clock. Night hunting them with infrared is legal in Maine.

Kevin

We're only allowed to spot light them at night in NY. Night scopes are illegal for hunting here.

Now that my daughter's house is built, I can do some yote hunting there, instead of going all the way up into the eastern Adirondacks.

Pic was about three years ago, at sunrise after a night of 15 below, waiting for the yotes that kept leaving tracks and driving off a lot of the other game that used to be abundant in that area.

I think I heard them laughing at about 4 am,...

Maybe I'd have better luck at Simons. At least I know there'd be a warm stove,.. or twelve. :lol:

Paul

Attachments

Sunrise  in the Adirondacs.JPG
.JPG | 140.4KB | Sunrise in the Adirondacs.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Native Americans refer to Coyotes as the Trickster--ya gotta respect something that's been over hunted, over bounty'd, etc. & keeps coming back. Yep--The Trickster indeed.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 7:50 pm

I think one thing that keeps them alive is when they get spooked they run, and run, then run some more. They really get out of Dodge as they say. About the only way to get them is with a semi-auto after a truck chase.

Even somewhat tame ones in pens, if you add even the smallest new item in the pen they wont go near it for days. They really notice change. Cowardly but smart.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Jonathan Way check out his website...
Its listed in this article...
http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170515/petitio ... yote-hunts

KLook

Post by KLook » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Jonathan Way check out his website...
Its listed in this article...
http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170515/petitio ... yote-hunts
Oh yeah, we were told a whole bunch of this crap by people that never ever had any experience in the woods. But they had a degree......and worked at McDonalds in HS. Funny how many "educated idiots" find their way to the wilds to tell the natives how wrong they are......To bad we didn't have Grizzlies in Maine, they would have eaten some of these idiots with dirty sweat pants wearing mismatched socks driving old Volvo's( before Subaru's). Ivy League education and zero everyday intelligence.

Kevin

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 2:46 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 7:00 am
Wow, guys keep arguing whilst I soak this up. I have a real problem here that has gotten worse over the years and I needed more knowledge. Flocks of wild turkey are now gone :cry: but then so are Canadian Geese :D . A couple of cats missing :cry: . However, the unmanageable deer population is is dwindling and flower beds are surviving :D . I do not miss the damned deer! I guess it's the balance of nature. Like winter, perhaps the coyotes ensure balance. I am going to change some things however. Give me country living and coal. Of course, as FF has reminded me ... when you live in the Hudson Valley you are not really anything. However, I can get 23 tons of coal for $150 a load ... does anything else matter? TV stinks but inviting solar salesman for discussions is hilarious.

All I need for completion is a hydrogen powered car ....... hahahahahahhahahahaa. Thx Dave for that one.
If ya get a donkey - I have the perfect name for it, ...... Donkey-yotie. :lol:

paul

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 11:22 am

Now that I like!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 6:59 pm

CN I would want him out of there and very quick-like :o

We live “out in the sticks” here, even the small towns are very rural in nature and out in the middle of nowhere. Coyotes are really beginning to become a problem around here with the large number of dairy farms, beef grazing and free range chickens. I can occasionally hear them howling at night over on the ridge behind the house and have seen several over the years as I’ve pulled into the fields to spread lime at daybreak.

My Uncle lives in a small town across the mountain from here. Late one night he left his small terrier dog out to pot before bed. He is standing on the porch lighting up a smoke when he sees the coyote running into the yard to make a meal out of his little dog. His screaming and running out in the yard scared the coyote off, but lesson learned. He does not take the dog out without loading the revolver first.

Wildlife is just that...WILD

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Wildlife is just that...WILD
But it is also changing due to intervention by idiots. Stop and think about the premise of living in Boston, and promoting the releasing of 180 lb. predators into Maine. Not my circus, not my monkeys. No personal involvement in the repercussions of that on the population. Not many people live there ya know. And so it goes.....

Kevin

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”