Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Jul. 10, 2017 6:47 pm

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=608
cva optima v2.jpg
.JPG | 44.4KB | cva optima v2.jpg
it should drop em where they are. Its enroute. will scope it and range test it.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Jul. 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Fire up the mill, lathe, and dremel anyone?

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Jul. 10, 2017 7:23 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Fire up the mill, lathe, and dremel anyone?
still have projects.... probably too many. :idea: :baby:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 10, 2017 8:15 pm

I only use traditionals, but I admire the looks of the modern ones. im just too cheap to shoot anything but round balls and cap or flint, :lol: With a 26" barrel and modern ammo that thing ought to hit a dime. Stainless is a heck of a good thing too. Make sure to give us a range report. :D

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Jul. 10, 2017 9:34 pm

My brother has the Savage that is custom built and uses smokeless powder. I also used smokeless last fall in his backup rifle, just not the load he used......the accuracy and range is amazing. His and our friends are 300 yard rifles. I was really impressed with the one I carried, not the trigger I would like but his cost $3500..... I realize the traditionalist DO NOT like these guns, but I got my venison....Mmmmmm.

Kevin

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 9:01 pm

first time firing the In-Line BP rifle, no i didn't use true BP powder. Used subsitute powder, White Hots; along with powerbelt 245 bullets.
Has a good kick to it, not intolerable, but more than my Rem 700 .243 kicks.
IMG_20170719_192947.jpg
.JPG | 135.9KB | IMG_20170719_192947.jpg
IMG_20170719_192927.jpg
.JPG | 182.4KB | IMG_20170719_192927.jpg
IMG_20170719_193021.jpg
.JPG | 217.7KB | IMG_20170719_193021.jpg
was pliking at a pole on edge o f range, and hitting it, last walk up range noticed an old extingusher on top of old tree stump, 50 yards, so loaded one more time and plinked at it.
IMG_20170719_194248.jpg
.JPG | 102.6KB | IMG_20170719_194248.jpg
Open sights that came on rifle.. not bad for an ole Man, that can't see chit!
Clean out jag exstension broke second time wiping barrel between shot... will improve it at friends machine shop. sharp eyes would have sen no thread stud on jag.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 9:21 pm

If white hots are the same as black powder, it burns more consistant and that does make you think you are a good shot sometimes :lol: Thats how those old buffalo guns could hit things so well at long distances. The bullets dropped like heck but dropped the same every shot.

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Jul. 20, 2017 7:23 pm

warminmn wrote:If white hots are the same as black powder, it burns more consistant and that does make you think you are a good shot sometimes :lol: Thats how those old buffalo guns could hit things so well at long distances. The bullets dropped like heck but dropped the same every shot.
Haven't done any distance shots. But when i do, i will be sure to post results.with open sights. Shooting my Rem 243, 100Yds, .243 55gr bullets are still rising at 100 yds. set scope zero for 100 yds using 80Gr bullets. Then again BIG, HUUUGEE differnce between 55Gr round and a 245gr round tain't there?

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Fri. Jul. 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Congrats on the new BP rifle.
Until last fall, I had never fired a muzzle loader.
I had an opportunity to go with some buddies deer hunting in central KY for four days in November (BP season). So what did I do... I did what any red blooded hunting enthusiast would do... I went out and bought one... lol
I went over to Cabelas and bought a CVA Optima for about $400. It came with a stainless barrel and an inexpensive scope on it. I didnt want to spend a lot of money because I wasnt sure what I was getting into. I bought some Hodgden Triple 7 pellets and Hornady 50cal sabots and went to the farm and sighted it in.
I have to say, I AM A FAN of muzzle loaders! That thing is a blast to shoot! I love the whole process of loading! And, it relatively easy to clean! (i know, gun nerd here...)
The thing is crazy accurate out to 200 yards. Since I'm not hunting any further than 150 to 200 yards, the scope (I think it was made by Konus) is adequate.

Two weeks later i dropped 2 does on our hunting trip. One at about 90 yards and the second at about 130 yards. (Freezer meat...yay!)

The only draw back I saw was that the first doe I shot was a quartering shot. Front left quarter. Well, a 50cal sabot does a number on that front shoulder. That shoulder was coyote food... The next one I shot was a high lung shot. Much less damage.
Both went down in less than 10 yards. 50cal projectiles don't fool around...

Enjoy your new gun!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 11:04 pm

Have you seen the latest CVA in-line muzzleloader? Here you go...
If you can read that article take note of the knockdown power at 300 yards. Looking at that...IF you had it sighted for a specific yardage, this could be a 500 yard gun with ease.

Now, that’s impressive, IF you can believe the numbers in the article. 2000 ft-lbs of energy at 300 yards is nothing to sneeze at. That’s why I say if the numbers are true...time will tell...this is easily a true 500 yard muzzle gun for the hunter and recreational shooter. Pretty impressive. Article is from NRA’s American Hunter magazine.

Oh...by the way...the above gun is a .45 caliber muzzleloader. One bad-to-the-bone .45 at that!

KLook

Post by KLook » Tue. Mar. 03, 2020 8:05 am

.45 is what the Savage my hunting partners use, sabot to .40 cal. Guy shot one at 275 yards last year and the wound channel was impressive. They have expensive compensating scopes so all they need is the range. Nothing like the accu-trigger on the Savages either.

Kevin

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 03, 2020 8:46 am

The Savage is a good gun for sure. That accu-trigger is very nice.

Remember the White Rifles? Roger Raglin shot a .45 caliber in-line, shooting nearly 500 grain bullets at 250-300 and beyond. I believe these were before the Knight rifles.

Of course, if anyone is into the old muzzleloaders and have read Ned Roberts’ book ‘The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle’ he talks about shooting even much further distances. I highly recommend this old book for any muzzleloading shooter of any type. He explains BP barrel pressures better than anyone else I’ve read. Of course, he also developed the .257 Roberts centerfire.

My best friend put me into that book 30 years ago and I’ve been meaning to buy one off e-bay for that long, but haven’t done it yet. I guess because I keep renting it from the library. Lol! Really, it belongs on every serious ML shooters shelf regardless of their choice of muzzleloader.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 7:04 am

Long range target shooting with muzzleloaders has been going on since the mid-1800's. The British were holding competitions at Wimbledon at distances out to 1000 yards. As London grew they had to move the range to Bisley where they still compete. Long range muzzleloading competition is still practiced here in the US and quite a few other countries. A world championship is held every other year. Look up the MLAIC or USIMLT. I shot at Bisley in 2003 as part of the NRA (US) world team. We used black powder breechloaders such as Sharps, Remington Rolling Blocks and model 1885 Winchester high walls against some teams using muzzleloaders such as Rigbys. They almost all use 520 to 550 grain .45 caliber bullets. These muzzleloaders mostly use paper patched bullets where the breechloaders use .45-70's and .45-90's with grease groove bullets of the same weights.

These rifles use vernier iron sights and are scary accurate! I've built several underhammer rifles for this type of competition for use by team members. They have to be either an original or patterned after a rifle available prior to 1900.

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 7:44 am

I have read about some of this stuff and it is big bucks to shoot an original....or to get a custom built one....I believe the gunsmith that built my brothers gun is from NC and shoots in these competitions....Richard DeSimone.

Kevin

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Kevin,
The name is vaguely familiar but I've not been active since 2016. I still get some emails on matches but no longer travel long distances to attend. Generally if the event is less than a 5 hour drive I'll drag out a rifle. True, an original in good shooting condition is very expensive. A mass reproduced replica is still somewhat expensive but affordable. The other equipment like bullet mold, cleaning rods, spotting scope, shooting mat / coat, cart to move between berms, etc... can equal or easily pass the expense of the rifle let alone travel expenses and time to practice. It also takes a lot of time casting / learning to manufacture perfect bullets. The tiniest flaws really show up when the closest distance shot is 300 yards and the longest is 1000 yards away.
As an fyi, it takes almost 3 seconds for the bullet to get to the 1000 yard target.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”