Any Flashaholics Out There ?

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Any LED flashlight weenies out there ?

I love Lumens almost more than my pets except the Wife.

Don't tell her... ;)

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Yep, just bought 2 more at HD yesterday. I am in the garage, got 2 headlight ones and 4 others of different Lumens as they keep changing. :oops:

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Got a link ?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:52 pm

I like small with low lumens for close work and long battery life.. Fenix EO1, Klarus Mi02. Just bought Fenix EO5 to try. Always have one hanging from belt loop.

Tractor supply had a trouble light combo thing that was irresistible for $5.

Aldi sells once a year an unbeatable value. for $7 a two AA over 100 lumens with a very clear focusing arrangement. Cree bulb.

Old two AA Maglights are worth converting to LED as well. Have several of those.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Interesting fetish, I must say. :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 9:06 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Interesting fetish, I must say. :)
There are many with over 100 lights. Some can cost over $200. There are also forums and revue sites for these things.

For many who need a light for service work, the LED lights are a real miracle. I have gone from the old two D cell lights to tiny one AAA. And they keep improving them to feed the fetish. Like guns or fishing reels they are just neat clever things.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Does having about 30 flashlights qualify as a flashaholic ? :D Tiny ones on up to 6 volt lanterns for spotting buoys and channel markers when night sailing.

And yeah, more than half are now LED - from tiny pocket ones to powerful red and green night hunting ones good for spotting coyotes out to about 250 yards.

I've upgraded my older mini-mag lights to LED when Maglite first came out with the conversion. That was much better than the bulbs, but I like the newer LED Mini-mags even more. They have an adjustable focus beam and far greater distance. I use those for camping and hunting.

Recently started carry the new LED Maglite solitaire. Amazing how much light they throw. I use it every day, for work, and at night getting from the shop to the house after dark to make sure I don't trip over a skunk. :shock:

And I have two LED head lamps. One for when I'm working under a car and one for camping.

Several Christmases ago, the stepson gave me a rechargeable LED work light. That gets used a lot inside the car, so I don't have a cord to get in the way, or dragging dirt across clean upholstery, or snagged on something.

Another thing I love about the LEDs is that they work so well with rechargeable batteries - even in below zero weather that would affect regular batteries. And with all the use I get from the little solitaire, just running on one AAA Duracell rechargeable, I only have to charge it about once a month.

The downside to LEDs is that now, I have a bunch of incandescent bulb flashlights that rarely see use anymore. :(

Paul

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 8:57 am

So far this is my favorite considering it uses 4 -AA alkaline batteries available anywhere. The tail switches help keep it simple plus 960 Lumens will rock your neighbor's trees.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-ld41-led-flashlight-2015-edt/

Some may gasp at the price though once you see what it does on a dark night you'll be convinced.

This is not the same as an overated lumen piece of feces on ebay that costs 12 bucks with free ship...

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:17 pm

This is quite an educational site for batteries.....

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:20 pm

and here is one of several flashlight forums.....

http://budgetlightforum.com/forum

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Uglysquirrel wrote:This is quite an educational site for batteries.....

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
Thanks for this post, better than Motor Oil University.. now I have more to learn..

top top

Post by top top » Tue. Feb. 21, 2017 4:40 pm

I was a little leery about opening this thread. Flash-a-holics. I didn't want to see a bunch of grizzled old coal burners that got too old to streak and started flashing instead. Heck, I close my eyes when I walk past a full length mirror. Fully dressed.

I have a friend that is always buying new lights, I think he qualifies. In 2015 I bought a rechargeable off Amazon. It uses one lithium battery or three AAA alkaline. It came with two batteries and a charger, Cree bulb, seemed like a deal for under ten bucks, including shipping. Still using it, and it throws a lot of light. Battery life isn't much, but they sent two. One in the light the other on charge. I ordered another dozen, but never got them. Still looking to buy a few cheap rechargeable lights that actually work to give away, if anyone has suggestions. Can't afford Fenix type quality.

Just checked out the links above, looks like some interesting reading.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Feb. 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Just bought a couple of BigLarry's 400 Lumen COB light, this little flashlight is something.
https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=363
Their website isn't too impressive,but boy oh boy the flashlight is :D

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Feb. 22, 2017 11:22 am

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-75763-Stinger-Flashlight- ... tinger+led

I use a flashlight all day everyday. I've had many different ones over the years. This one is my current favorite all time unit. Stays charged forever. Can be put on the charger anytime without worrying about battery memory. It is literally too bright sometimes. That's why I like the dimmer feature. Can't really be used as a weapon like my original D cell mag light but that's about the only draw back.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 3:15 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Interesting fetish, I must say. :)
That's putting it mildly...

With that said I did get one of those Nebo "Big Larry" flashlights at Ace the other day. That is one heck of a tool! And a solid aluminum body to boot. But what on earth were they thinking when they named it? :what:

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”