Any Flashaholics Out There ?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 3:41 pm

2001Sierra wrote:Just bought a couple of BigLarry's 400 Lumen COB light, this little flashlight is something.
https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=363
Their website isn't too impressive,but boy oh boy the flashlight is :D

Uses 3 AA batteries. How long will it last at low power on one set of batteries?
I have a couple propane lanterns I keep for power outages, but a couple of these lamps would be simpler (and quieter).

rberq

Post by rberq » Sun. Apr. 02, 2017 4:05 pm

I love this little flashlight. I've had it 7 or 8 years. Only 70 lumens but it throws a small spot at least a hundred feet, just right for finding my black dog at the edges of my lawn. :D Unfortunately the NiMH rechargeable cells are starting to show their age. Stanley has discontinued the product , and it uses a proprietary battery pack that I can't find anywhere. :x
http://www.led-resource.com/2011/06/stanley-95-154-rechargeable-led-flashlight-review/

rberq

Post by rberq » Sat. Feb. 17, 2018 8:41 am

2001Sierra wrote:
Tue. Feb. 21, 2017 7:53 pm
Just bought a couple of BigLarry's 400 Lumen COB light, this little flashlight is something.
https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=363
I bought a couple too, after reading this thread. Great flashlight! But I noticed something surprising last night when checking the coal stove. I have a pedestal fan blowing over the top of the stove to distribute warm air. With Big Larry on its lower output setting, reflections from the fan appeared like a spoked wheel with the spokes slowly moving counter to the fan rotation. Just like when you watch an old Western on TV and the wagon wheels look like they are spinning backwards. This says to me that there is a flicker in the LED light, not usually perceptible. But I thought LEDs were driven by a steady DC current. What’s with the flicker? Link below is a COB LED description. On the flashlight’s highest light setting I could not see the optical illusion.

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2016 ... d-cob-leds

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sat. Feb. 17, 2018 10:05 pm

It has to do with the dimming of the LED. It's controled by PWM and happens to be in sync with the fan giving you the strobe effect.

rberq

Post by rberq » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 9:10 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 17, 2018 10:05 pm
It has to do with the dimming of the LED. It's controled by PWM and happens to be in sync with the fan giving you the strobe effect.
Thanks. Makes sense. I just read the definition of Pulse Width Modulation, that dimming is accomplished by oscillating the power rapidly between full-on and full-off. The smaller the percentage of "on" time, the dimmer the light. That explains why I don't see the optical effect at the brightest setting, because there must be no "off" time.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 9:44 am

Wonder if that is the case with some LEDs I just tried on my stove range. On Low they flickered enough to bother me so I put the old halogens back in place. On high they were fine though. I thought that cutting the current going through them at the switch was how they were dimmed but you guys are probably correct. PWM is a pretty inexpensive route.

rberq

Post by rberq » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 12:53 pm

cabinover wrote:
Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 9:44 am
I thought that cutting the current going through them at the switch was how they were dimmed but you guys are probably correct. PWM is a pretty inexpensive route.
Back when the only way to get an electric car was to make your own with conversion components, that's the way many motor controllers worked.

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Learn something everyday, thanks.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 6:19 pm

cabinover wrote:
Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 9:44 am
Wonder if that is the case with some LEDs I just tried on my stove range. On Low they flickered enough to bother me so I put the old halogens back in place. On high they were fine though. I thought that cutting the current going through them at the switch was how they were dimmed but you guys are probably correct. PWM is a pretty inexpensive route.
Some LED drivers are more sensitive to varying voltage than others. If you have "dirty" power LEDs can/will flicker. Usually higher priced LEDs won't have this problem because of the better components.

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 7:46 pm

I have the cleanest power available in VT, just ask Green Mountain Power. I know it is because of the bill I get every month. J/K.

These came from Aubuchon Hardware so it's hard telling what the quality is.

Sorry for the thread drift....

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”