Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Oct. 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello everyone.

Any one bass fishing?

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 8:55 am

Just put the boat away this past weekend. Tried to get out last week for the last time during that warm weather spell, but it did not work out.

summerski
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr & Sr
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Stove - Blaschak

Post by summerski » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 9:05 am

Whilst bass fishing a fews ago, the kid caught a nice crappie....

Attachments

IMG_8485-1.jpg

crappie

.JPG | 119.1KB | IMG_8485-1.jpg

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 9:27 am

Wasn't really fishing for 15 years but got out with my cousin on his boat a few times this past year. Late August we were pounding them on the Susquehanna near Meshoppen. Must of caught 25 in a four hour period and I wasn't even making an effort. Just floating through a fast section of the river with clippers, nothing but a small split shot bouncing it off the bottom. I caught 5 fish on the same clipper because we started running out of them. Most of them were around 12", nothing really big but best day fishing ever.

Next weekend my cousin is out with his kid and the kid says " This sucks, I had to cast like 10 times for one fish".... :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 11:02 am

I was asked what a clipper was. It would be the slang name, at least locally, for a Hellgramite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly

You go into fast moving water and have someone down stream with screen. Flip rocks and rake around. They are good for Bass or just about anything else. You hook them right behind that shell behind the head being careful not to crack it, you also want to try and get a piece of the tail if possible.

We also use them night fishing for catfish, you rip the tail off and put a stick up their ass to turn them inside out. Put it on the hook and dip it in the water before casting, all the goo congeals. That is the secret weapon for night catfishing on the Susquehanna. If you aren't catching anything with that you aren't going to catch them with anything.

They aren't any good live if casting from shore or anchored unless you use bobber or something else to keep them off the bottom. They will crawl under a rock.

As far as the flying version, that is why a tennis racket is including with the fishing gear for night fishing. :lol:

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 6:21 pm

I do my bass fishing from a kayak, with a fly rod. Talk about a good time! Mostly use poppers and some other dry flies, depending on what is in the air when I'm out.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Richard S. wrote:I was asked what a clipper was. It would be the slang name, at least locally, for a Hellgramite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly

You go into fast moving water and have someone down stream with screen. Flip rocks and rake around. They are good for Bass or just about anything else. You hook them right behind that shell behind the head being careful not to crack it, you also want to try and get a piece of the tail if possible.

We also use them night fishing for catfish, you rip the tail off and put a stick up their ass to turn them inside out. Put it on the hook and dip it in the water before casting, all the goo congeals. That is the secret weapon for night catfishing on the Susquehanna. If you aren't catching anything with that you aren't going to catch them with anything.

They aren't any good live if casting from shore or anchored unless you use bobber or something else to keep them off the bottom. They will crawl under a rock.

As far as the flying version, that is why a tennis racket is including with the fishing gear for night fishing. :lol:
Great bait all round but apt to hang up.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”