Looking for a RV Site in Eastern NY Near Fishkill

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Hello, I am planning on taking a temporary job in NY from April to September give or take. It is too far for me to commute so I was thinking about finding a cheap apartment or secure place to park my RV for that time. The company keeps changing things up on me but last I was told I would be reporting to work in Fishkill at the IBM facility. I'd be gone early and back late....long days, 6 days a week. My wife might come for a visit now and then or I might go home Saturday night and return for work on Monday's I'd prefer a rural setting on a farm where I could be parked under a tree no more than a half hour drive to Fishkill. I'm pretty well self contained. I wouldn't refuse a 15 amp extension cord but that wouldn't be a necessity. My RV is a full size school bus which I painted John Deere green with black stripes. I'd bring my trash to work. My last job site had no running water and I'm not sure if water will be available to me in Fishkill or not. I have lots of 7 gallon blue jugs so I'll find water somewhere. I'm not a drug-e and rarely have a beer these days. I'm mellow to the point of being a bore so I shouldn't be trouble to anyone. There are several people on this forum who I believe would vouch for my character. I'm happy to pay cash a month in advance should an agreement be reached. The RV "resorts" in the area are priced way high and I want to stay out of them. If it came to that was my only option I'd likely just find a minimal apartment.

I know this is just a shot in the dark but I don't know anyone who lives out that way. If this post gets no responses I might just drive out there and start knockin on doors and see where it leads.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 7:38 pm

We go thru there a lot, but never really stop. have friends in Poughkeepse and Danbury.
Not sure about RV places to park. check craiglists for the area. might find something or post an ad. LOL

Gonna up your way in Mystic next month. :)

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm almost never out that way. If it where not for the job I doubt I ever would. I'm not looking for a traditional RV park, just a quiet level place TO park and sleep that is secure.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Damn shame Fishkill's 2 1/2 hrs from me CH. You'd surely be welcome.

coal stoker
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler

Post by coal stoker » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:14 pm

You will be working about 2 miles from my home, it actually East Fishkill but mailing address Hopewell Junction.
There are a few local campgrounds.
http://dutchesscountycampground.com/
This is one of them you would end up about 5-6 miles from the job, and there is great fishing.
Good Luck
CS

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:Damn shame Fishkill's 2 1/2 hrs from me CH. You'd surely be welcome.
Thank you Freetown. I'll remember that if the job ever goes that way! You are safe for a few years as it is going east as far as I know. :lol:

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:26 pm

coal stoker wrote:You will be working about 2 miles from my home, it actually East Fishkill but mailing address Hopewell Junction.
This is one of them you would end up about 5-6 miles from the job, and there is great fishing.
Good Luck
CS
I had checked them out on the internet last fall. They are crazy expensive. They are more like a vacation resort. I'm really looking for a farm or the such that would put up with me at a more reasonable rate.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:33 pm

cokehead wrote:
coal stoker wrote:You will be working about 2 miles from my home, it actually East Fishkill but mailing address Hopewell Junction.
Good Luck
CS
I had checked them out on the internet last fall. They are crazy expensive. They are more like a vacation resort. I'm really looking for a farm or the such that would put up with me at a more reasonable rate.
Maybe you could do something like that for a week or two, while scouting for a farm?

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 8:44 pm

I'll have to do the scouting before the job begins. 10 to 14 hour days doesn't leave time for scouting. Maybe Tuesday if the weather is ok I'll drive out there and get the lay of the land.

coal stoker

Post by coal stoker » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 9:23 pm

There are some local farms
Maybe some bell ringing will help
CS

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 10:19 pm

cokehead wrote:I'll have to do the scouting before the job begins. 10 to 14 hour days doesn't leave time for scouting. Maybe Tuesday if the weather is ok I'll drive out there and get the lay of the land.
Look up feed stores, and farm supply places as well as tractor dealers. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Thank you

coal stoker

Post by coal stoker » Sun. Mar. 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Any Luck?
I would give you a spot on my 2.5 acres but I have an a**hole neighbor, that loves to call the town hall on everyone on our road.
I hope you can find a spot.
25 years in the trade as an union electrical worker I have seen my share of travelers looking for work and a place to call a temp. home.
CS

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sun. Mar. 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Traveler.......hmmm I didn't think to label myself that in that this is the first time I ever tried to take a job away from home since around 1982+-. I hitch hiked to Fort Scott, Kansas and went to work for Midwestern Distributors. That didn't last. They ran teams and they paired me up with two different drivers. One's dream job was to a hit man, the other was allergic to soap. I bought a clunker and drove home. Had I stuck it out I could have become the lead driver and have more control over who I worked with. Boy that was in the way back machine.

My other unusual job was working in the hold of an offshore dragger. I threw-up 5 out of 6 days. It started as soon as cleared Montauk Point. I thought I was going to die of dehydration but I didn't. Grape soda pulled me though and made the vomit taste good. :blah: I wasn't much use and didn't sign back on when the boat came in. Where that boat was docked was only 15 minutes from my home. The guy I worked with carried 3 knives. When I asked him why, he say he was a felon and couldn't carry a gun and he signed on the boat to avoid a court date. One thing I have to say is that guy earned my respect as well as the rest of the crew. Once they got to the fishing grounds they worked 2 hours on, 15 minutes off for the 6 days, round the clock except for the 10 or 11 hours of travel time each way. They where tough.

Today I went to Fishkill. I found a farm on google earth and figured out who owned it. I cold called him; told him what I was looking for and he was agreeable and was invited for a face to face. He showed me where I could park, where the electric and water hook ups where, we came to a price. I had privacy, a dug farm pond for 15 beef cows, weathered farm fences, old stone walls..... The closest thing to perfect I could of hoped for. I told him after I got an official start date, I'd get set up. He offered to level the spot with a machine but I suggested I would be just as happy to shim it with sections of planks; no need to disturb the ground that way. He got all my info and I drove my wife and mother over to where he said I could be. I was SO happy. Then it happened! Before I got out his very long driveway the cell phone rings. He said his wife objected to my living there for the duration of the job. In a very polite way told me I needed to look elsewhere. I didn't see that coming. I knocked on a couple other doors around town but no one seemed to be home. Shucks. (There is a minced oath for ya.)

It was about time to eat so I found Daddy O's restaurant and before I could put in the order I started feeling nauseous. I told them (my wife and mother) to eat, I was going out to car and lay down. I told my wife to get me when they where done and I would bring the wheel chair in for my mother. Time passes and my wife knocks on the window. "We are ready." I was feeling worst but brought the wheel chair in and helped my mother into it. I then had to just get out without a word, without her. I made it out the back door and ALMOST across the driveway to a brushy area. I spewed on the go!!! What a mess. It was ugly. I got cleaned up and asked my wife to drive. She had not driven in a couple months due to her surgery but she did OK. I lost it again before the 84/9 interchange in the car. I told her eyes straight just before letting go, into a bag. Too much fun. Got home around sundown and went to bed and here I am, grossing you all out. I wish I had some grape soda today...

Tomorrow is another day.
Last edited by cokehead on Mon. Mar. 21, 2016 3:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Mar. 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Darn good story until you lost the campsite. I think people (renters) are ok with it at first, then start worrying about things. Lawsuits, drugs, laws, privacy, etc. Good luck in your continuing search.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”