Drawn for an Elk Tag...YAY!!!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 10:19 pm

I read every word! Great story and Im glad you had some luck. Anywhere west of me I love! It is so beautiful out there I just don't know why Im still here. Elk meat is delicious too and not fatty at all. The only thing better is moose but that is probably your next adventure :)

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 12:52 am

Thanks guys! I'm glad you all enjoyed reading about my trip.
I was worried I may have crashed the NEPA server with my epic post. Lol
Logs wrote:Sounds like you had a great adventure! You must be in pretty good physical shape . That hillside in the picture is so steep , my knees would never handle it, let alone packing all that weight. Good for you , the views were probably unbelievable. Now you will have meat to enjoy all winter :)
I started training for this in March. I lost about 20lbs over the summer. I started by walking a little and then eased into jogging some.
The biggest thing I needed to work on was endurance. I did that by walking several miles and adding weight a little at a time. Eventually I was walking 5 1/2 miles every other day or so with 35lbs in an old backpack I had.
I cut carbs out of my diet almost entirely. No breads, no pastas, no sugary snacks, drank Mich Ultra and Bud Select only (ugh...that might have been the hardest part...).
Our hunt began on Oct 1st. After Labor Day I stopped drinking alcoholic drinks completely. No caffine either. I tried to drink a minimum of eight 16 ounce glasses of water a day. I allowed my self one cup of coffee each day.
Also took a 80mg baby aspirin each day.
This last 30 days was primarily preparing for high altitude. Where I live is only 700 feet above sea level
Fortunately I have pretty decent knees still. Losing that 20lbs and gradually working my way into shape help my knees and hips tremendously.
I lost another 7 pounds while hiking and hunting. But, I've put about 12 or 13 pounds back on since I've been back. Damn carbs and good beer... lol
The scenery out there is spectacular! You can see so far it's crazy. The sun rises and sunsets are almost fake looking.
warminmn wrote:I read every word! Great story and Im glad you had some luck. Anywhere west of me I love! It is so beautiful out there I just don't know why Im still here. Elk meat is delicious too and not fatty at all. The only thing better is moose but that is probably your next adventure :)
I've never had moose but heard it is quite tasty.
You are correct about elk meat. It is delicious. We have enough to get the wife and I through the winter.
I would love to go back to this same area and moose hunt. We saw several moose while we were there.
The moose tags for out of state are expensive. Like over $1500.00 That will keep me from hunting them for a while. But it is on my radar... lol

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”