Any Rabbit Hunters Out There??

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Well, last Saturday was the last hunt for us; as the season closed Feb.29 in the Southern zone. And what a memorable day it was. The week before my buddy "Beagle Bum Fred" & I went to an area of Schoharie county that was State land & a thick spruce patch. Apparently clear cut & reseeded about 10 yrs ago. Well, that day the dogs started & ran a Hare 3 hrs & 15 min. Fred saw the hare but couldn't get a shot; but at least we could intercept the dogs & call it a day. This place had so much promise that the following Saturday, which was the last weekend, saw Fred & I there along with Fred's son & nephew. When we "dropped the tailgate" it was 18 deg with a breeze & that damn sparkly snow which has a huge ice content & can freeze up a dogs nose. Anyway it took a couple hours for the sun to finally start a melt; then " all hell broke lose". As all 4 hounds were pounding this hare. After almost 2 hrs Fred & I heard a shot a couple of hundred yards away; & later discovered that his Nephew has shot his first snowshoe hare. What makes this such a memorable hunt, is not only somebody shooting their first hare; is the fact that Blackie, the dog in the photo is 13 1/2 yrs old & led the pack!! Fred took the photo & left it on my porch with a note " a tribute to a fine old dog with the heart of a lion". After 49 yrs with beagles, it was one great day.
Cheers
Jim

Attachments

IMG_1354 (1).JPG
.JPG | 413.5KB | IMG_1354 (1).JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Ahhhh man, you guys kill them thar wil' wabbits??????????????? :cry2: :whistle: Nice on the dogs Jim. :)

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Wow! Great story, and what a fantastic memory! A 13-1/2 Y.O. dog running like that is incredible! Rabbit hunting is a great sport but it seems that not too many people around here still do it. I'm going to be squirrel hunting with my coonhound this year. Long story...

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks, FF, & RB Dave. I've been very fortunate over the many years thanks to Beagle Bum Fred who will turn 66 in April. He is to beagles as our Mayor is to coal. Thanks to him I have had many a good dog. Once had a son of Buchshots Mr Bill The most achieved field champ in recent memory. However my Blackie Bitch is right up there. The reason I made this post is that in all reality it is highly unlikely that at 13 1/2 yrs old that I'll enjoy another season with her. However, just wanted to share a glorious moment!!!
Regards
Jim

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:24 pm

Flyer, you have stupendously outdone yourself!!! I humbly apologize for starting this thread, Just thought some with some ancient values could possibly appreciate the merits of this old hound. Apparently your knowledge of the great outdoors leaves a lot to be desired!! Tis a very sad thing that your mentality will boast the future of this great land!!
Blackie.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:26 pm

coalder wrote:Flyer, you have stupendously outdone yourself!!! I humbly apologize for starting this thread, Just thought some with some ancient values could possibly appreciate the merits of this old hound. Apparently your knowledge of the great outdoors leaves a lot to be desired!! Tis a very sad thing that your mentality will boast the future of this great land!!
Blackie.
I was just adding a little humor. I enjoy rabbit and all hunting. If it bothers you I will remove it. It was not meant to hurt feelings.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Rabbit "Stifado" ..... Greek style rabbit stew, you will never want to cook it any other way after you prepare it this way .

http://www.gourmed.com/recipes/cretan-rabbit-stew-stifado

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Geeze, Im glad you posted that Dave .I was just gonna go surfin for some Elmer Fudd clips myself...... :oops: And for the record ,I like rabbit huntin and Beagles as long as they are someone elses :D

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:38 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Geeze, Im glad you posted that Dave .I was just gonna go surfin for some Elmer Fudd clips myself...... :oops: And for the record ,I like rabbit huntin and Beagles as long as they are someone elses :D
Every time I go small game or rabbit that clip always comes to mind. Adds to the enjoyment for me. :) But its Colders thread and I respect his wishes. And give my apologies.

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Flyer, very much appreciate your clarification!! Kinda did take it the wrong way; However ya gotta respect my sympathies, realizing that this ol girl will most probably have experienced her last hunt. As much as it warms my heart, it also brings a tear to my eye. Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Regards
Jim

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Nice post about having the Beagles and the fun. We got a mongrel, mostly beagle and dachshund when I was little and I learned to hunt behind that fantastic dog. He outdid all the purebreds we hunted around and any dog we had after that. Don't give up on the old dog, we killed 60 rabbits the last year I hunted with him and he was 17. I went off to the oil fields when I was 19 and never saw him again, my dad had to put him down. Many, many great memories with old mongrel......

Kevin

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Fri. Mar. 04, 2016 10:07 pm

The bond between hunters and good dogs is special.
I had an uncle that spent is life raising and training dogs. The bond he developed with some of them was amazing.
I'm not a small game hunter but I can appreciate the relationship.
Thanks for sharing Jim.

Steve

coalder

Post by coalder » Sat. Mar. 05, 2016 2:08 am

Thanks to everyone for their comeback.!! I'm a hoping to just maybe to get one more year out of that ol girl. On another note , a little typo; my buddy Beagle Bum Fred is not 66, but 76 going on 16. :D Looking forward to at least another year of hunting with good dogs & good fellowship.
Cheers
Jim

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Mar. 05, 2016 8:03 am

I always enjoy the barking as they chase, often have them run past my dogs & myself on our walks, they take a quick glance & keep on trucking. Mostly coon & coyote hunting here, the eagles, hawks & owls keep the rabbits thinned. ;)

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”