Wooden Model Making

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:14 pm

I used to love doing wooden model making, but after I took over the farm and got my flock of sheep I no longer have the time to dedicate to it. While I did it though it was fun, and every once and awhile I get to use the attention to detail and creativity of trying to make wood look realistic in a model, in a home project here at the house. I love details! Here a few of my later models, though I have built about 100 of them, a few sold, most given away though over the years to loggers, farmers, truckers, railroad lovers and so on.

The first is a Caterpillar 30 (1930 era) crawler given to a friend who retired rom the local soil and water conservation distrct
DSC01549.JPG
.JPG | 147.4KB | DSC01549.JPG
The second is of a nearby town's fire truck done at the Chief's request to house in the new fire house there.
Ladder Side FT.JPG
.JPG | 167.4KB | Ladder Side FT.JPG
The third is a Lombard Hauler (the first crawler tractor and a Maine invention)
Log Hauler.JPG
.JPG | 108KB | Log Hauler.JPG
The fourth is a Pisten Bully 600 towing a snowmobile trail groomer
PB Top View.JPG
.JPG | 200.7KB | PB Top View.JPG
The fifth is of a SD-40 Locomotive with its traction motor be removed at the drop table at the Pan Am Railways Engine House in Waterville Maine
Train Model Eng Side.JPG
.JPG | 177.8KB | Train Model Eng Side.JPG
The sixth was done for a friend whose husband uses his tractor to mow bushes along logging roads during the summer. This was more of a diorama. The tractor tires were hard to carve (a pain), but so was the culvert, mown trees and even stumps left behind.
TT Mower Side.JPG
.JPG | 177.2KB | TT Mower Side.JPG

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:56 pm

That is a really cool talent. They look great. Thanks for sharing, Maybe while your knee heals up.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:05 pm

chiefs fire truck & sd-40 are epic!!! which took to longest time? which was the hardest to do? whats the most you sold one for?

more more!!! I want more please! :taz:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Doug, you need to back up on your fascination w $$$. Some things come from the heart & get passed down generation to generation or given away-- he's not from MA. :clap: toothy Real nice work NS.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:21 pm

freetown fred wrote:Doug, you need to back up on your fascination w $$$. Some things come from the heart & get passed down generation to generation or given away-- he's not from MA. toothy Real nice work NS.
just curious because some of those things must have taken an immense amount of hours! :shock: you know me... If I have a thought or a question my mouth blurts it out :( no disrespect, if hes uncomfortable with that one I can understand ;) GL my friend Tuesday... plenty of time for you to post more woodworking projects for me :clap:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Indeed Doug, just goofin w/ ya. He does real nice work--I've tinkered to a point but nothing like all that. YES, real time consuming.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I have ZERO patience for that type of work. It would end up in a heap, flung across the room, and stomped under foot ... then torched ... violently ... toothy

Some nice work there 'Smoke! 8-)

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:05 am

I am not offended by the asking price.

If someone asks for me to make them a model such as was the case for the Fire Truck or the Side Mower on the tractor, I do ask for money since it was a request. I have only done about a dozen commissioned ones, most of the time they are just given away for something someone did for me or a good friend. Either way it is appreciated because of the time involved.

As for a price, the Fire Truck was $60 I believe, and the Tractor/Mower was $100, or about a $1/hour! Wooden and glass cases included with my older stuff being screw and pegged together while my newer cases feature hand cut dovetails. Depending upon detail a model can approach 100 hours to make.

By far my longest was the SD-40 only because I know them so well from 10 years of labor on the railroad as a machinist. That model has details like opening valve covers and valve rockers that are so small and obscure, being in the case and with only the doors open on the shrouds, you cannot see them, but I know they are there. I also know that engine house well so every detail is true, from rags on the floor, to cast aside brake shoes, to how the traction motors are lifted out; are all to amazing detail.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:18 am

Not a model, but a display cabinet for a former coworker who collects antique guns, I built him a cabinet featuring "Pistoltails" Instead of being dovetails, they are similar, but are carved out in the shape of pistols so that when the cabinet is put together you get the look of pistols holding the joined wood together. The only way to do that is by hand cutting them! Yes, that takes patience! In part because I could not just cut them for both the right and left side, but rather I had to do left and right hand pistoltails; I could not out of good conscience have someone approach the cabinet with the pistoltails facing them. No they had to point towards the wall which is proper gun etiquette.

I do not have a photo of the finished project, but I do have a photo of the pistoltails after they were made.
Guntails-Small.jpg
.JPG | 85.1KB | Guntails-Small.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Very nice work of art. The wood selection according to the colors is beautiful. Having carved a few pistol grips I know all the time and patience you had put on your réalisations.
Bravo.

nikkireed

Post by nikkireed » Fri. Feb. 28, 2020 5:03 am

yes that is great

nikkireed

Post by nikkireed » Fri. Feb. 28, 2020 5:03 am

yes that is what happens

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”