I've Got the Hunting Bug...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Congrats on the rifle. Break it in right and you'll be pleased with how well it shoots.

Paul

mooseman100
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by mooseman100 » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 7:24 am

12 ga full choke for turkey is great, and best
Regarding deer rifle, I would reccomend 270, 7mm has a bit more recoil and more power than needed. 30:06 has kill d alot of deer as well as 3030, although not to sexy. I kill newely 20 deer a year and travel around the country and world to hunt. I would not recommend the 6, 6.5, 25 or 243 calibers. I too own some of them and truly have spent more time trqcking deer with them than my 270 or 300. Yes wirh perfect shot placement it is dead deer. But shots are not always perfect, so I prefer something a bit more meaty when killing for the freezer. Just my opinion, but there are over 500 dead deer behind my opinion that I base it on.
Awseome you are wanting to be back in the woods, good luck

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Wed. Jan. 20, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks for the feedback Moose.
I'm looking to elk hunt this fall. I've applied for tags in 3 states. KY, CO and WY. I would love to draw one from KY. We have some monsters here in Appalachin mountains. There are no real predators to speak of. Problem is they only issue about 1000 tags a year so chances are pretty slim.
Any experience on a western elk hunt and/or best places to DIY hunt? Would love to go on a guided hunt but it's out of my price range... I'll be happy to just get back up in the mountains backpacking. If I get an Elk then that would be a bonus.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”