Opening Day-Ohio Deer Gun Season 2015 !

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Nov. 30, 2015 4:12 am

This Morning's Headline: "Deer Scared For Free !"....... -Not !

Good Morning,Gang ! Yep,it's that time that some of Us wait all year for ! 27 Degrees and a heavy frost just adds to the entire Scenario known as Opening Day ! Not worried about harvesting "Da' Deer" as much as I always want to Remember my Dad that I always went with. Thanx to Dad,this'll be my 45th Year of this Day being very Special ! Ironically,I'm still "The Kid" as both of my "Older Brothers That I Never Had" are 10 years older than me ! Oh well,time to get off the 'Puter and get moving Outside. Take Care of Yourselves,Take in the simple Beauty of the Location,The Conditions and The Folks that You share this Deer Season with ! :up: :dancing:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 30, 2015 6:14 am

Good luck out there, Bob. Hope it's a day that adds to all the other wonderful memories.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 30, 2015 6:46 am

Enjoy Ohioan's! :)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 11:29 am

So how was that opener, Bob ?

Paul

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 12:26 pm

'Twas All I could've hoped for ! (Well,minus the fact I had to turn down a Button-Buck!) With this Year's Deer Management Plan that We've been operating on for the last 15 years,I'm a Doe-Only Harvester ! Not a problem,'cause I've never found a recipe for cooking Antlers that I could appreciate. toothy The weather was absolutely a Gift with only the early morning giving us that cold,clammy and penetrating high humidity cold that Our Area's known for. The Animals where Healthy,Clean,One Shot Drops that We strive for. The Crew and Camaraderie were the Best ! Now,after having worked to take care of everything well into late last night,I get to go hit it for the Afternoon Hunt and see how I can do. I've got 'till this Saturday,so I've got some seriously good chances ! Thanx for asking,and let's see if any other Board Critters have had Good Hunting ! :up:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Great news Bob ! Hope the rest of the season goes well, too.

Number two daughter bought land last spring. Scouted it, picked a good spot, and opening day morning got her first deer about one minute after sunrise. She watched a doe walk in to morning bed behind a log about 80 yards from her. With only the doe's head showing above the log and facing toward her, she put a 100 grain straight up it's nose. Doe never moved.

After helping haul it up to a tree and giving her a few minutes guidance, she not only field dressed it by herself, she also butchered it herself. And did such a good job of that, plus cooking, that she even got her Bambi-loving city-raised Mom to like venison. :shock:

I've yet to see a deer, but the daughter made me so proud it was the best day of hunting I've ever had !!!!

Paul

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Some lucky hunter got a 12 point right behind my place that was supposed to be pretty large, the Black Jack Swamp also extends into Ohio so it may well have been one of your Ohio deer that came across to Pa. for safety. It's only buck over here so that guy made a wrong turn. Hope all have a safe productive season, myself I have a freezer full of home grown Black Angus so I'm all set.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Daughter and I are border jumping, Monday and Tuesday we hunted in PA, tomorrow, Wednesday, we hunt here in Ohio. Then it's back to work for us both till Saturday.
Monday we seen plenty does (not legal yet) and 2 bucks with antler below minimum legal standards for the QM. (quality management)
Tuesday seen no deer, even stayed out all day, in rain as it did. Grandpap and one Uncle (my Dad and my Brother) both harvested bucks in the earlier archery season in these woods.

Daughter already has a archery doe in Ohio to her credit and liking to get a buck next. :)
I did get a big bull elk in Colorado in mid November. We're eating pretty good even if nothing else comes home with us. 8-)

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Day 2 : "Look,there's a Squirrel ! " Yep,what a difference a day makes......That's literally all that was seen today. Our area was socked in with combo shots of mist,fog,rain and then a dab of changeable wind that finally swung around from the NW when I was walking out at quitting time. Still,what a nice break from the Grind !! We shall see what tomorrow brings. McGiev's,nice to see You made the show,with Family,in two States ! Sam,that had to be an Amazing Animal !! Take Care,Gang ! :up:

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Weather straightened out for a Beautiful Day in the woods ! Now Patience is still the virtue in waiting for the right animal to come along ! We're supposed to get 1 to 3 " of wet snow on the overnight,so I'm sure that will add to the whole event in a positive way ! Enjoying every minute of it all. More to follow ! :up:

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Dec. 06, 2015 7:03 pm

I Tanked ! :surrender: I Failed ! :fear: Aww Hell,I had a Ball ! :dancing: Looks like a change in Tactics and Possibly Location for a changing area will be in order for next Season. Area's changing with different Residential Encroachment and Farming Practices. We're going to meet the Challenge ! Damned Glad for the time I had,and I Hope that never changes for me !!

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”