Coal at Camp Experiment

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Tue. May. 24, 2016 6:38 am

True, my plan from the beginning was “well insulated and easy to heat” and once it’s warm in there a tiny fire is all that’s needed. Is there any such thing as an automatic windostat? Sounds funny but……..

On the right of the attached picture there’s a vent. On the inside there’s a hinged door that can be propped open incrementally. The hot air pours out when fully open. Can it be automated without electricity???

Attachments

vent.jpg
.JPG | 47.7KB | vent.jpg

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jun. 20, 2016 10:52 pm

Turbogeno
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp

Post by Turbogeno » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 6:38 am

So they do make make them. Affordable too. I think I see another (small) project coming.
Thank you CC

Turbogeno

Post by Turbogeno » Wed. Dec. 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, I never got around to putting in that automatic, temperature actuated power tube but I still like the idea. I did spend last Friday night up there. It got down to around 6°F and the new stove configuration was much more controllable in terms of heat output. The building warmed up pretty quickly (2 hours to 60°F) Then, even with more coal in there I was able to throttle it down and get less heat output than the old configuration. The extra capacity and slower burn rate got me right through the night without having to reload. It was ashed up pretty well in the morning but the new coal I put in lit off quickly. The best news is that the building was 72°F when I got up with a window cracked an inch top and bottom. I'll probably need that power tube for warmer weather.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”