Martial Arts

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 10:07 pm

There must be a few here. My daughter has been taking class now for about 6 months. I quit smoking back in December and needed something to fill the gap. Also my resolution is to get back in shape. The wife and I started taking class a little over a month ago. I took Kung Fu when I was younger so I had a clue what we were in for. I found out just how much fossilitus ( I know I made it up ) has set in over the years. But I feel I am stretching out. My daughter enjoys us taking the class as well because we can practice together. And because she can teach us since she has been taking it longer. I am fighting an old ankle injury but can work around it. My wife is having fun because I see the smile when she gets to practice any self defense techniques on me. If anyone has been on the fence about starting I say go for it. Now I just hope I can start running again. Not sure how the ankle will hold up.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Flyer5 wrote:Now I just hope I can start running again. Not sure how the ankle will hold up.
Don't run. there are plenty of other exercises you can do. Favoring that ankle you are sure to injure something else. Nobody should run unless you have that natural fluid form you see on the best runners, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 15, 2014 10:17 pm

franco b wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:Now I just hope I can start running again. Not sure how the ankle will hold up.
Don't run. there are plenty of other exercises you can do. Favoring that ankle you are sure to injure something else. Nobody should run unless you have that natural fluid form you see on the best runners, otherwise you are asking for trouble.
You are probably right. I need to find something to get rid of the extra 20 I have acquired since food has been so good.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 4:35 am

If your ankle is up for it, walking can be just as beneficial and less stress on the joints.

If not, check to see if there is an aqua exercise program near by. Running in water is very low impact, yet gives a good overall work out about equal to running on land. Just about all the schools and colleges around here that have a swimming pool run such programs for the local residents.

Paul

plumb-r

Post by plumb-r » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 5:56 am

Getting in a pool and swimming some laps is the best thing there is. This does require a pool though. Very easy on the joints. 3 years ago I to kicked the habit, hip problems stopped me from running so I used a bike, thought that would be easier on the hip. There was this funny clicking in my knee, didn't hurt, just kept going. Mistake, Dr. ended taking part of meniscus from my knee. :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 6:31 am

Get a bicycle if you worried about the ankle.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 8:23 am

Lot of good advice here Flyer, anything that shocks the injured joint will do nothing but make it worse. From experience, two knee replacements & a massive rotator cup repair I have pretty much figured that one out. My mistake was taking a somewhat violent form of karate plus what I learned from the ROK's, in retrospect I should have gotten into Judo but there are plenty of joint friendly forms of exercise, don't know your age but the older you get it seems the harder it is to lose but pushing away from a table always helps unless your too weak like me.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 9:11 am

samhill wrote:Lot of good advice here Flyer, anything that shocks the injured joint will do nothing but make it worse. From experience, two knee replacements & a massive rotator cup repair I have pretty much figured that one out. My mistake was taking a somewhat violent form of karate plus what I learned from the ROK's, in retrospect I should have gotten into Judo but there are plenty of joint friendly forms of exercise, don't know your age but the older you get it seems the harder it is to lose but pushing away from a table always helps unless your too weak like me.
It is tough when older. I think if the technique is done correctly in practice there should be little injury. The instructor will mention if the way you are doing something will lead to problems and show the correct way. I also tend to like the more explosive form. I am more of a bull in a china shop. I think I would bore easily with anything less and probably not stay with it. Any fights I have been in in the past would tend to be that way as well. Not that I am doing this to look for fights but for self defense. I am only 45 and I think still in decent shape for my age but can definitely feel the effects of neglect I have put my body through. The extra weight makes 25- 30 push ups a chore as well.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 10:10 am

The best way to lose weight is to eat just 100 calories less (one slice of bread or one spoon of sugar) and exercise 100 calories more. Every two weeks you will lose a pound, 25 pounds in one year. By losing slowly there is no pain and will accustom yourself to the new way. With a rigid diet to lose weight fast , once you quit the weight comes back.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 11:41 am

franco b wrote:The best way to lose weight is to eat just 100 calories less (one slice of bread or one spoon of sugar) and exercise 100 calories more. Every two weeks you will lose a pound, 25 pounds in one year. By losing slowly there is no pain and will accustom yourself to the new way. With a rigid diet to lose weight fast , once you quit the weight comes back.
The problem is the quitting smoking, food tastes so much better. :)

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Flyer5 wrote:The problem is the quitting smoking, food tastes so much better.
Then you have to think of something else beside food. Doubling or tripling sexual activity would be good and could supply healthful exercise.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Nah, cancel TV and read War and Peace but remember to have a notepad to write down all those Russian names.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 1:05 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Nah, cancel TV and read War and Peace but remember to have a notepad to write down all those Russian names.
He wants to get more exercise, . . not more sleep. :D

Paul

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Apr. 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
coalnewbie wrote:Nah, cancel TV and read War and Peace but remember to have a notepad to write down all those Russian names.
He wants to get more exercise, . . not more sleep. :D

Paul
toothy

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. May. 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Wow a little over a year later. We are still going steady with the Tang Soo Do. I ended up taking a few months off because of work and my moms stroke so my wife has passed me and my daughter off in rank. She is brown with a stripe, I am just a brown belt and my daughter due to age she is a green with a stripe. It has been fun we have people of all ages in the school from 5 to 67 yrs old. I am in better shape than I have been in a while. Its funny how my wife was so nervous about starting and unsure if she would like it. Now my wife rarely misses class we have been going 3-4 times a week lately. She loves the weapons like the bo staff and this past weekend we did a nunchuck seminar the proceeds of which went to a child in need of surgery. Even my daughter has been doing great she does challenge the attention process at times but she is only 8 yrs old. Seriously if anyone has been on the fence about trying it find a good school and if you can physically do it it is a lot of fun. I wish we started a lot sooner. Oh and I am still not smoking, its been a year and a half.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”