Cast Iron Fry Pan

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 6:16 pm

25 years ago we bought a entire set of cast iron pots and pans for $50.00 and we still use them and have NEVER had to replace even one. Like Richard said an "enamel" forms during the seasoning process and there is no rust. I seasoned everyone of my cast iron pots and pans with lard and salt. Rub it in and bake them. Inside and outside. I forget at what temp because it was so long ago.

Clean up is mostly nothing more than a paper towel when we cook. Except when I make Chile! I also like to use a little olive oil on them now and then as well.

We thought about buying some a nice set of pots and pans a while back. Till we saw the prices. The $50.00 investment was one of the smartest we have ever made. If anyone is thinking about trying some cast iron pans do it. You will love them. Once seasoned you just can't beat cast iron.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Richard S. wrote:
VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
I don't recommend seasoning with bacon grease or cooking oil. Bacon grease has salt in it and moisture, salt and cast iron together don't get along too well unless you like the taste of iron oxide - rust.
It turns to like an enamel and I've seen no rust. ;)
Agree. The rest of the story was you'll find out where your black conditioned layer is the thinnest if you leave it sit in a humid area. Properly conditioned and it might not be an issue. You'll know soon ;)

I 'scrub' mine with table salt and a paper towel. Salt abrasively removes those little pieces of stuck food if it isn't sugar cured goo.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 7:28 pm

cokehead wrote:gaw, why do you like the rough finish better?
I bought my first cast iron as a set of three in a box. When I opened it I thought “oh sh_t they forgot to grind them, they’re defective." After reading the instructions I found that they were supposed to be like that. My instructions were to scour them clean then coat them with oil and bake for an hour at 300° then remove any excess oil and they are good to use. I found them to be stick free immediately for things like eggs and pancakes. I thought the rough finish trapped small air pockets to help keep it non-stick. Maybe VigIIPeaBurner’s explanation is correct, I don’t know but they do work well. Mom’s old iron pans were more prone to sticking especially if you spared on the grease and she has a meat only pan that almost everything except meat seems to stick to. And we were not allowed to use the “good” cast iron pans for meat. That is my personal experience, feel free to disagree. I would not turn down any cast iron pan, smooth or rough unless it was cracked.

It looks like everyone does it just a little different so this is one of those things that is “what works for me.” When I make pan seared steak for the wife and me I reach for the SS because I usually deglaze it and make a wine reduction. I think deglazing an iron skillet would ruin the seasoning on the pan. I never tried and don’t intend to find out. Coated non stick pans are pretty much useless and a waste of money. A nice SS frypan is good to have for times when cast iron isn’t quite right but spend the money for a top end like All-Clad (made in USA) or for a little less I think the Emeril brand are essentially an All-Clad design made over seas.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Griswold or Wagner are some of my favorites...lodge also...

flea markets or yard sales.... 8-)

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for all the replies . Good recommendations . The new one defiantly needs seasoning . The first one I got could use another . I wish I got another Dutch oven . I didn't notice till I got it out of the box at home . The lid didn't have the raised rim .

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 7:37 am

Figured I'd show my a couple more interesting ones--all but 2 of mine are Griswold or Wagner except that 6" made in Korea??? WTF ( never noticed that before, but a real good pan) & the one Lodge

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 73.2KB | 001.JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Let's see crepes, corn and a pie plate...
For a family that don't like to share nice... ;)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 7:11 am

How dare you call me a creep :mad: :oops2: sorry CC--damn cataract surgery :clap: toothy
CapeCoaler wrote:Let's see crepes, corn and a pie plate...
For a family that don't like to share nice... ;)

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 7:13 am

being cast iron, they are also used for disiplinary use. yew no share.......Wack with pan!! it's amazing how quick they start sharing after the cornbread pan hits the cheek :shock:

often times you can eat thier whole portion before they wake up :D

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 7:41 am

The only way to make good corn bread is with cast iron :D Heat the pan up in the oven, pour the batter into the hot pan and it sets it right up at the surface of the pan and gives it that nice crisp edge when it's done baking.

Now I'm yearning for chili and corn bred tonight...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 9:04 am

Don't forget the REAL butter & a lil run of honey :drool:

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 9:44 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Now I'm yearning for chili and corn bred tonight...
Don’t forget to throw some jalapenos in the cornbread.

Freetown; why do you need so many pans? I see at least 8 different pans hanging up. My stove has 4 burners so for me any more than 4 would be hoarding.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 11:50 am

They're for big cookings, for when all my friends come to visit & share in my dynamic personality & cooking skills :clap: toothy Orrr, possibly I just love them thar flea markets/ yard sales--your pick-- ;) I don't think I spent more then $2.00 for any of them back when. And again, they are all I use for cooking

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Who's up for a Meet & Greet @ FFred's place to test out his world renouned cast iron pan juggling skills?

ME!

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Now that is something I feel I HAVE to see!!

Party at FRED's house and I will bring the beer and a video camera. Should be some great youtube videos!

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”