Ham / Amateur Radio Ops?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 28, 2020 8:03 am

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Mar. 22, 2020 5:28 pm
That is cool Rob. I have an uncle that has a radio and license. He has urged me towards getting into it :)
It does not take much to get started. If you are interested in taking the test to get your Technician license, I would send you my study manual. Some local clubs also offer a class, followed by the exam. You can take practice exams online for free, so you will be able to have confidence that you can pass before you drive to an actual exam session.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:04 am

What is the initial startup expense for a simple setup? This is very interesting after reading the entire thread. This might be an interest for if I can save for it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:21 am

J, with a mediocre used set (short range), license, etc. you're probably lookin a $400.00 & that's a top guesstamate--my favorite teaching book would be " Ham Radio for Dummies"--seriously, it's a real thing!! :) For more serious users, it can get real pricy. BUT, as Rob is findin out--it's a lot of fun, plus, real useful in emergency situations.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:26 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:21 am
J, with a mediocre used set (short range), license, etc. you're probably lookin a $400.00--my favorite teaching book would be " Ham Radio for Dummies"--seriously, it's a real thing!! :)
That's a reasonable price! I'm seriously going to look into this. I have a perfect room for a setup and plenty of space outside to run an antenna. Getting setup may be the simpler part though...getting to the licensure may be the bigger challenge.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:34 am

J, check out "ham radio prep" web site for license info

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:58 am

johnjoseph wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 7:04 am
What is the initial startup expense for a simple setup? This is very interesting after reading the entire thread. This might be an interest for if I can save for it.
The bare minimum to get on the air with analog would be a hand-held (handy-talkie, "HT") radio that you can use to access local repeaters, or communicate directly with other people that are within range. Chinese made versions are about $50, and are what many people choose to get started. The downside of a hand-held is that the antenna is very small, and the transmit power is low...so the range is limited (only a few miles). I have one of these radios gathering dust, and would be happy to program it for your area if you wanted to listen (don't transmit) to the repeater frequencies and see what it is all about.

The next step up equipment wise would be a mobile radio, which can be setup in your vehicle, or at home as a base station. If used as a base, you would need a power supply in addition to the antenna/cable. The cost of this setup is a lot more, about $500 if buying everything new for a base station. The benefit of this setup compared to the hand-held is the range is much greater, and generally the audio quality is better. I have a Kenwood mobile VHF radio in my vehicle, and have no issues using repeaters 30+ miles away.

Before buying anything I suggest finding your closest amateur radio club, and stopping by one of their meetings. Most clubs are happy to answer your questions, and help you get licensed & on the air. They are also a great resource for used equipment.

Take a look at this page and see which of the clubs is closest to you: https://n1me.org/home/maine_clubs

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 8:02 am

Like I said previously Rob---welcome to your new addiction!! LOL I'd bet your havin fun with your set-up with this quarantine goin on????????????????????? :) Great idea on checkin local clubs!

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 8:10 am

I actually just went on Facebook and found our local club...I think that's where I will start...great suggestion.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 11:42 am

johnjoseph wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 8:10 am
I actually just went on Facebook and found our local club...I think that's where I will start...great suggestion.
Let us know how you make out. A lot of clubs have cancelled their normal meetings due to COVID-19, but hopefully things get back on track in a month or two.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 11:44 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Mar. 28, 2020 8:03 am
It does not take much to get started. If you are interested in taking the test to get your Technician license, I would send you my study manual. Some local clubs also offer a class, followed by the exam. You can take practice exams online for free, so you will be able to have confidence that you can pass before you drive to an actual exam session.
Thank you Rob :) that is a very kind offer. My uncle Mike has also said it would be fun for me to get a radio and license, he lives about 15 miles away.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Outstanding Lee--just don't try to reinvent it if/when ya get set up, which might seem a tad simplistic to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:01 pm
Outstanding Lee--just don't try to reinvent it if/when ya get set up, which might seem a tad simplistic to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Fred...simple question from a simple mind: If I'm in northern Maine and you're in northern New York, would it be plausible to connect that far via HAM radio? Or Does depend on a person's set up?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:20 pm

J, many factors--the most impt. would be your set-up--also involved is weather conditions. But yes from here to there should be no more then childs play with a mediocre set-up. A good antenna is a good investment--I forget what Rob used for his.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:23 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:20 pm
J, many factors--the most impt. would be your set-up--also involved is weather conditions. But yes from here to there should be no more then childs play with a mediocre set-up.
Wow...that's amazing!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:45 pm

NO!!!!!!!!! Once you get started, you'll find out what amazing is!!!! :)
johnjoseph wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 1:23 pm
Wow...that's amazing!

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”